• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnson Controller Question

rob300c

The Big Noobowski
So I have a Red Bull fridgador.
Knowing the warm weather was approaching I purchased the Johnson controller.
My b-day just passed and my friend gave me a matching Red Bull fridge.
Can I run both of the side-by-side fridges on one controller?
Can it handle the load?
I imagine that the temps will stay close enough since they are identical fridges but I am concerned with the controller being able to handle two units on one controller.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Not sure about the controller, but I would love to see pictures of the fridges loaded up with cigars. Great idea using a Red Bull fridge.

Can it handle the load?
I imagine that the temps will stay close enough since they are identical fridges but I am concerned with the controller being able to handle two units on one controller.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

So as I understand it - you want to plug both into the one controller. Yet you only have one temp probe that will have to go inside one of the units. Therefore if the controller could handle the startup of each unit at the same time - you would be running each fridge the same amount of time - even though each maybe at a different temp when the controller turns on.

I don't see it working out well - but who knows.

Ron

Can it handle the load?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

So as I understand it - you want to plug both into the one controller. Yet you only have one temp probe that will have to go inside one of the units. Therefore if the controller could handle the startup of each unit at the same time - you would be running each fridge the same amount of time - even though each maybe at a different temp when the controller turns on.

I don't see it working out well - but who knows.

Ron

I realize this.
I figure if the fridges are the same, the temp ranges should be similar or close enough.
I want to know if the controller, itself, can handle two fridges... if so I can see if the temp ranges stay close enough for my usage.

-Rob

edited to say - stay tuned for pics!

I would say running both on the one controller isn't a good idea for load reasons. Setting your target temp and allowing for +/- 10 degrees or so, it could work. Gandolf is the authority on this.

I realize this.
I figure if the fridges are the same, the temp ranges should be similar or close enough.
I want to know if the controller, itself, can handle two fridges... if so I can see if the temp ranges stay close enough for my usage.

-Rob

Okay then - I don't have the controller yet (getting ready to order) - but I would say to look at the controller and see if it lists what it's amp rating is. Then look at both fridges and see what the start up amp rating is - the controller will need to higher than the combined total of both fridges. Should be a plate somewhere that lists the info.

Ron

Why do you all need a controller to handle your johnson? Can't you all surf the web one handed?

Yeah, I was gonna say...

I don't need another johnson controller -

I already have one wife.

I realize this.

-Rob

Okay then - I don't have the controller yet (getting ready to order) - but I would say to look at the controller and see if it lists what it's amp rating is. Then look at both fridges and see what the start up amp rating is - the controller will need to higher than the combined total of both fridges. Should be a plate somewhere that lists the info.

Ron

Further to this, if it dosnt have the start up amp rating, multiply by a factor of 3-5. This will usuall cover it depending on how efficient the unit is.

b

I would say running both on the one controller isn't a good idea for load reasons. Setting your target temp and allowing for +/- 10 degrees or so, it could work. Gandolf is the authority on this.

Word! Gandolf is definitely the man to talk to about this.

Can it handle the load?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

IF the contacts can handle the load, in theory it will work. IF the heat load on each cooler is the same, and the same amount of product is in each cooler.

It is possible it will work quite well, maybe not. Try it and monitor it closely for a week or two, the worst that can happen is you have to buy another controller.

Personally I would spring for another Johnson controller or similar (Johnson Controls are our competitor :))

To elaborate, if the conditions of each cooler are perfectly matched it would work without a hitch. The problem is that (IMHO) if there is a mis-match in conditions the error will become greater as time goes on. By this I mean that the unit with the sensor will switch on at say 71f, and switch off at 69f. The unit without the sensor may switch on at 71.5f and off at 69.5f, then 72f and 70f gradually getting warmer as time passes. It could go the other way just as easily and get colder as time passes.

It is quite possible that one unit will cool more efficiently than the other even though the conditions ARE exactly the same.