• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JR Alternatives

jellygoose

Anyone ever tried any of the JR Alternatives from jrcigars.com.
If so, were they at all comparable to the cigar which they were the alternative??

I hear the JR Ultimates are decent smokes. I bought a bundle of Alt 858's and they were nothing like the original. Good plain old everyday mow the lawn smokes. I had an Alt to Don Victor Remedios(spelling?) and it was the bomb...I was told that this was actualy a second/overrun of the original...I hear most aren't worth trying though...My guess is because they are not even close to the originals...My other guess is because Connies are the best value on the net...

Emo

jellygoose said:
emodx said:
...My other guess is because Connies are the best value on the net...
Where can I find em?
In my humidor...No seriously, I have to give a shout to jrcigars.com...Connies(consuegras) are supposed to be seconds of some famous brands. They don't always match up though. I have bought 30's in the EMS and maddies and booth are good, with the maddies taking my choice. I have also had the 9, 17(I think), and the 73 in Maddies and they were all better than the 1$ I paid or passed for them.

Emo

JR Alt's, according to my info, are simply made from the same kinds of tobacco as their namesakes. For instance, If the name brand has Dominican and Honduran filler, Nicaraguan binder and a Connecticuit wrapper, then the Alt will also. However, the Alts probably do not use the same quality and do not get aged like their counterparts.

Some of the Alts are pretty good, IMO. Give them around 6 months of sleepy time in the 'dor and you might have a nice surprise or... ???

The Ultimates that I have tried are very good. :thumbs:

Consuegras are seconds from the Villazon factory. The #9 are seconds of Punch/Hoyo Rothchilds, #14 are seconds to the Excalibur #1, #73 are seconds of ERDM Robusto Larga. Check out the following site for a list:

Connies/Villiazon Cigars

This list may not be up to date but should give you an idea.

By all means try the JR Ultimates, a great bang for the buck. They are aged for a year before shipped out. Try the #1 and Particulares for a start.

i've purchased several of the jr alt. and ult. and found them to be a graet everyday smoke,and a good value for the money. they are by no means perfect as you may have some plugged ones from time to time. but never had one that tasted terrible.
:D

I have a couple of bundles of the alt. Not exactly what i expected. The 2-3 i have smoked have had a very tight draw. Now the ult's on the other hand are very good imho :D

I bought some Alternative COHIBA SIGLO IV and, perhaps I have not let them age enough, but I did not enjoy them at all. I have them sitting in the humidor at the moment, and will probably give them a good year before I pull one out again.

Shadow said:
Consuegras are seconds from the Villazon factory. The #9 are seconds of Punch/Hoyo Rothchilds, #14 are seconds to the Excalibur #1, #73 are seconds of ERDM Robusto Larga. Check out the following site for a list:

Connies/Villiazon Cigars

This list may not be up to date but should give you an idea.

By all means try the JR Ultimates, a great bang for the buck. They are aged for a year before shipped out. Try the #1 and Particulares for a start.
Hey Shadow, it seams that the web site has changed a bit, here is a link on that same site that lets you download the spreadsheet.

http://www.cigartrades.com/consuegra_spreadsheet.html

matalo said:
I bought some Alternative COHIBA SIGLO IV and, perhaps I have not let them age enough, but I did not enjoy them at all. I have them sitting in the humidor at the moment, and will probably give them a good year before I pull one out again.
Don't expect them to ever taste like a Cohiba. Age will improve them but it will not work miracles.

hey, check out the jr site and go to the story of jr alts, it basically tell you how they came about as overrunn durring the cigar boom (and were actually the same smokes as you bought with the brand names on them, just bundled and unbanded) and as the boom died and overproduction eased up a little, they began to have them make, it is an interesting explanation to what you are actually getting in jr alts.

nick

anybody have an updated link to the Connies page? They are both MIA

Lumberg said:
anybody have an updated link to the Connies page? They are both MIA
Here ya go:

Connie conversions:

#1 6.5X42 ULT Cetro, PUNCH Oxford Deluxe
#2 4.5X28 ULT Habanella, PUNCH Slim Panatella
#3 5.5X43 BF Corona, HDM Tubo, BELINDA Spanish Twist
#5 5.5X37 ULT Petit Cetro, ERDM Tino, EXCAL VI
#8 5.5X28 ERDM Elegantes
#9 4.5X50 PUNCH/HDM/ULT Rothschild
#10 5X41 PUNCH London club, HDM Sabrosos
#108 6.5X46 ULT Cab 10
#14 7.25X54 BF 754, ULT 1,ULT Cab 60, ERDM Robusto Suprema, HDM Sultans, PUNCH Chateau L
#15 6.25X45 EXCAL II, HDM Churchill
#16 6X48 PUNCH Pita
#17 5.5X47 HDM Café Royale, PGC Superior
#18 7.25X46 BELINDA 1835, PUNCH After Dinner
#25 6.75X48 FDA Prominente, BF/ULT/HDM/PUNCH Doub. Corona, EXCAL Banquet, PGC Monarcha
#26 5.5X42
#28 8.5X52 ULT/HDM/PUNCH Presidente, EXCAL Emperor, ERDM Coronation, PGC Prince Consort
#29 6X41
#30 5.25X50 ULT Cab 20, EXCAL Epicure, PUNCH Corona Gorda Deluxe, PGC Robusto
#68 5X37 FDA Especiale 5, BF Palmita, ERDM Reynita
#70 5.5X44 ERDM Corona, HDM Super Hoyo, PUNCH Café Royales, PUNCH Royal Coronation
#72 5X54 BF 554, ULT Cab 40, ERDM Robusto Zavalla, ERDM Robusto
#73 6X54 FDA Regordo, BF 654, ULT Cab 50, ERDM Reserva Salado
#73M 6X54 ULT Principale, ERDM Robusto Larga
#84B 6X54 FDA/ULT, BF Belicoso
#84M 6X54 ERDM Flor de Llaneza, PGC No. 2