• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JR Cigar has gone too far!

Ginseng

Banned
I just got my JR Cigars Holiday catalog and though a nice read, it just wasn't as funny as they used to be back in the 90's. :p

I also noticed something pretty wierd. Many of the smokes looked like they had been dipped or sprayed in oil prior to the photo shoot. Some of these sticks looked slicker than body-builders on the final pose-down. I mean, downright greasy!

In real life, I've never seen a Macanudo that had an oily wrapper and I just couldn't believe my eyes. Anybody else notice this? I mean oily is good, but some of these looked like they would go up in a flash if you put a match near them.

Wilkey

You know what, I've always thought the same thing, but it could have been that they are so well taken care of...at optimal RH and Temp. :laugh:

-Fetter

I haven't received my JR holiday catalog yet. I hope that they send me one soon.

That's funny, now that you say that your absolutely correct. Every cigar pic in there looks to be ultra oily. I guess I've noticed it but never thought about it if that makes sense.

maybe they are plastic?
Like the plates in the window at sushi bars :laugh:

Bill

Those are highly paid cigar models and not for smoking. They are fed a special diet, have personal trainers and hang out the tanning parlor. :rolleyes:

Tech said:
Those are highly paid cigar models and not for smoking. They are fed a special diet, have personal trainers and hang out the tanning parlor. :rolleyes:
[snapback]248952[/snapback]​

You are so right. :sign:

Food stopped being real food in ads a long time ago; real food wasn't photogenic. I never thought about it, wrt cigars and all, but are we surprised?

Tech said:

And so the conspiracy theories come out! My guess is that if these are in fact body (well, at least as far as having a head and a foot) doubles, at least some of these must be emigres from a certain island south of Miami.

Wilkey

BTW> I read a book, wait, maybe it was an article, on the photography of food. Some truly creative stuff. Like soap to make the head on a beer and other stuff. Just goes to show, they can make things that look exceedingly tasty but are not even food. Like silicone implanted... :cool:

Goes true for most cigar company fliers and catalogs...ive gotten half a dozen from several retailers over the last month or so and still cant believe how shiney some of their cigars are. Padrons line from Famous's catalog is probably the wettest looking cigar ive EVER seen in my life! :0

Tech said:
...ahh. That explains it.... :laugh:

I noticed the same thing; figured they got some Playboy photog for the shoot and he only did what he always did.... :p

Cheers - B.B.S.

Yeah, food photography...

Anytime they show hamburgers and such...there's a vaseline type goo all over them to give the appearance of shiny...fresh food. Pretty nasty stuff.

Ginseng said:
Some of these sticks looked slicker than body-builders on the final pose-down.

LMAO!! I know exactly what you mean!

Did they have the fake-tan on them? I know some makers to actually use dye to create their so-called "maduro" cigars.

Lumberg said:
Ginseng said:
Some of these sticks looked slicker than body-builders on the final pose-down.

LMAO!! I know exactly what you mean!

Did they have the fake-tan on them? I know some makers to actually use dye to create their so-called "maduro" cigars.
[snapback]249045[/snapback]​

AIRBRUSH!

I wouldn't get too worked up about it -- it is very likely the photographer, and not JR directly... that did this. I majored in photography, and took a food photography course.

It is -- excuse the pun -- par for the course to glaze foods, and do all sorts of other tricks to have them look good in photographs. Most of the still pictures you see of beer, etc. is not beer at all, but rather solid plastic (that's why the bubbles are always just so perfect).

Ginseng said:
I just got my JR Cigars Holiday catalog and though a nice read, it just wasn't as funny as they used to be back in the 90's. :p

I also noticed something pretty wierd. Many of the smokes looked like they had been dipped or sprayed in oil prior to the photo shoot. Some of these sticks looked slicker than body-builders on the final pose-down. I mean, downright greasy!

In real life, I've never seen a Macanudo that had an oily wrapper and I just couldn't believe my eyes. Anybody else notice this? I mean oily is good, but some of these looked like they would go up in a flash if you put a match near them.

Wilkey
[snapback]248880[/snapback]​

I have also heard that when they shoot a pic of something (say soup) that is supposedly steaming hot, they actually have a lit cigarette right behind the opject, which is not hot at all, to provide that effect.

Fascinating! I assume anything ice cream-like must be plastic as well.

Anyone know where I can get some really realist sushi models?

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Fascinating! I assume anything ice cream-like must be plastic as well.

Wilkey
[snapback]249083[/snapback]​

Actually, ive heard for ice cream they use colored crisco or other similar concoction

Ginseng said:

Wilkey
[snapback]249083[/snapback]​

Funny you should ask that.

In just about every regular restaurant in Japan, there are plastic models of all the dishes on the menu in a glass case outside the restaurant!

I imagine there is a whole industry devoted to making plastic food in Japan.

I bet if you could get a hold of someone in the restaurannt business in Japan you could get a plastic model of any kind of sushi you want!

Lumberg,

I love sushi, and that's worth a Googling. :D Gotta love my crazy yellow bruthas.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Lumberg,

I love sushi, and that's worth a Googling. :D Gotta love my crazy yellow bruthas.

Wilkey
[snapback]249169[/snapback]​

There are also restaurants in Japan where sushi is server to you on the belly of a naked girl... not that I'd know or anything. ???