• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Juicy" Cigar?

BGlover

Ok guys, I did some searching and although I could not find an old thread, I imagine it may have been discussed before. If so, someone please send a link.
Anyway, my dilemma is that I got some AF Anejo 46's this weekend as an early fathers day present from my lovely wife. She picked them up from my local B&M that I frequent. They are from this year's release. I smoked one today and it an overly tight a draw ( it wasn't completely plugged just a VERY tight draw) and after a few minutes it started seeping a thick red "juice" from the head. It was almost like it was filled with fresh Red Man. Surprisingly it was not off-putting unless you put your tongue to the "juice" which was spicy as hell. The draw never really loosened up any and it was juicy all the way through.
What gives?? Anybody ever seen this? Is this to be expected from some newly released batches? Again, it wasn't a bad smoke it just is something I have not seen before. I'm wondering if I just need to move these to the bottom of the humidor and let them sit for a while (a few months or so).
Any input if much appreciated!

That would be tar. For the problems that you described, I would try storing the cigars at a lower RH before smoking. Also, what type of cut are you using? It happens to me every time I punch an Anejo.

That would be tar. For the problems that you described, I would try storing the cigars at a lower RH before smoking. Also, what type of cut are you using? It happens to me every time I punch an Anejo.

I always go with a straight cut. I keep my humi at around 68-70 using 72 RH Bovedas. I live in Alabama so depending on how humid it is on a given day, I get some natural fluctuations but it stays pretty even. Would you suggest something lower? If, so I may move them to a Tupperware with a lower RH pack.

I keep all of my cigars at 65 % and have never had a problem with tar from the Anejo's. I sometimes use a punch as well as a straight cut.

Seems to happen to Anejo's more than other smokes. Mine occasionally do it too. Had best luck with cutting them rather than a punch. If they tar up, snip 1/8" off the end and try again. Usually takes care of it for the rest of the smoke.

Seems to happen to Anejo's more than other smokes. Mine occasionally do it too. Had best luck with cutting them rather than a punch. If they tar up, snip 1/8" off the end and try again. Usually takes care of it for the rest of the smoke.

Good call. The thought of an extra snip of the cap crossed my mind but I balked thinking it might just make it flow worse. I have a few more and will likely let them rest a bit in a lower RH and if they do the same om the next one I will try this as well.

Straight from the B&M also could mean they were over humidified there, and haven't had enough rest to dry out. A lot of stores tend to keep their humidors on the high side.

X2.

Plus, when over humidified, the cigar will taste differently to me. I like them drier myself and the burn is better.

I recently had a similar experience with an 8-5-8 Maduro. It didn't actually seep out of the cigar, I had initially punched it and when I got frustrated with the draw I cut it with my Xikar and noticed a lot of moisture around the cap. I just chalked it up as a cheap cigar being a cheap cigar.

Straight from the B&M also could mean they were over humidified there, and haven't had enough rest to dry out. A lot of stores tend to keep their humidors on the high side.
Gross, Try 65% :thumbs:
...all good theories, but my cooled Staebell runs a rock solid 65% / 68F and I still get the occasional goopy Anejo. Even ones with several years of down time.

For some reason, recent (last five years or so) production Anejo's just seem to do this occasionally. Seems punching them makes it lots more likely to happen so I usually give 'em a pretty generous cut instead.

If I'm doing it wrong, I'd be glad to listen......:whistling:

Gross, Try 65% :thumbs:
...all good theories, but my cooled Staebell runs a rock solid 65% / 68F and I still get the occasional goopy Anejo. Even ones with several years of down time.

For some reason, recent (last five years or so) production Anejo's just seem to do this occasionally. Seems punching them makes it lots more likely to happen so I usually give 'em a pretty generous cut instead.

If I'm doing it wrong, I'd be glad to listen......:whistling:

I still get them, too. Probably not as much downtime, but certainly enough where I know the cigar is at my preferred humidity. What I meant was, especially since Anejos tend to get tarry, smoking them "wet" might give you a higher chance of having a problem.

I still get them, too. Probably not as much downtime, but certainly enough where I know the cigar is at my preferred humidity. What I meant was, especially since Anejos tend to get tarry, smoking them "wet" might give you a higher chance of having a problem.
....gotcha, Tom. Have you ever noticed that they also seem to do it more often if it's really hot outside when you smoke? Seems like I get more in the late summer months than I do over the winter / cooler months.

I appreciate all the input guys.I think I'll smoke a few over the coming weeks after keeping them in a lower RH (65%) environment (tupperdor) and will also bury a few in the humi I keep at around 68-69% for a few months and see if there is any difference.

....gotcha, Tom. Have you ever noticed that they also seem to do it more often if it's really hot outside when you smoke? Seems like I get more in the late summer months than I do over the winter / cooler months.

Yeah, which then throws outside RH% into the equation. But I do wonder why the problem is so prevalent with Anejos.

Best advice I can give, Brad, take your cutter out with you, and if you notice the tar build up, try cutting another thin slice off the top. Anejos are so tasty that it's a damn shame to have to put one down because of the tar.

Yeah, which then throws outside RH% into the equation. But I do wonder why the problem is so prevalent with Anejos.

Best advice I can give, Brad, take your cutter out with you, and if you notice the tar build up, try cutting another thin slice off the top. Anejos are so tasty that it's a damn shame to have to put one down because of the tar.

Thanks Tom (and others) for the advice. You are correct that it would be a shame to toss one due to this issue, that's why I smoked that SOB, tar and all. It made the WOAM I smoked afterwards taste and draw like a gift from above!

It has been a few of weeks since I had my Anejo tar issue.
I just got back around to smoking another one of them this weekend. I've had them at 65% RH for the past couple of weeks and when I cut this one, I cut it a little more than usual. Eureka!! NO tar.

I think I experienced this tonight with an Indian Tabac Maduro Super Fuerte. Only difference, was that seemingly every other draw was really bitter and nasty tasting. Almost like I was smoking nothing but stem filler. It burned fine, but it seeped a dark reddish liquid, which made me at first think that I was just really slobbering on the thing. That was not the case, though. I'm not sure if the bitter taste was from the cigar, itself, or possibly from some citrus fruit I had been eating a bit earlier with my daughter. I can see an acidy citrus already on the pallet causing a marked difference from the normal flavor experience, but would it make THAT much of a difference? I tossed the stick about halfway through. I couldn't smoke it.