• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just caught a guy stealing from me!

NorcalMark

We have this customer that come into the shop from time to time for the past 8 years or so. He came in last week and picked up a couple of Padron 1926 #35.

I talked with him a bit on Saturday, he was going to lunch at the cafe next door.

So today he stops in and we get to chatting about his son, wife and such. He slid the humidor door open and grabs a 1926 #2. Remarks, "Wow, these are only $20.00. He picks up a #35 and brings them to the counter.

My phone rings and a grab it off my desk in the back. It's a customer of mine from out of state. I take a bit of time grabbing the gentlemans card from my file and we say good by. I head back out to the front to finish up with the guy. We just chatting about nothing at this point. I step out from behind the counter to close the middle humidor door. I noticed he had a cigar in his pocket. I didn't say anything, bucause I didn't know anything.

He heads for the door, and I say, Hey Bowman, make sure you take that cigar out of your pocket and put it in the bag before you break it. (You have to know bowman, he's a basket case to start. He'd be the one to put the loaf of bread on the bottom of the bag and a gallon of milk on top on the bread. So you have a little insight into what I am dealing with.) He's doesn't even flinch when I say his name the first time. So I say it again, BOWMAN, make sure you put that cigar in the bag befor you break it. Still nothing. This time I say, BOWMAN!!! He stops just outside the door turns, opens the door and says to me, "I'll pay for it." He come back to the far counter and empties his right pocket and he has not 1 but 3 1926 #2's in his pocket. he takes of crying. I am just dumbfounded but everything.

I am almost certain that he made away with a couple of #35's. I didn't tell him to empty his pockets. Not sure if I could legally anyway.

I called him on his cell phone and he's crying, saying his life is fu$ked and then he hung up.

WOW is all I can say!

Stealing is terrible, and it sounds like he knew it. He needs to fix whatever is wrong in his life and get back on the straight and narrow.

Wow! Weird situation. Guy clearly has a few problems...

I'm not sure how I would have reacted in that position, theft is something I have a very strong stance on, especially stealing from someone you know.

Weird situation Mark. Not sure what I would have done, but it sounds like you addressed it with as much tact as a person can, being that he's a long timer and all.

Wow, sorry to hear that Mark. I have no tolerance for thieves but it is much worse when it is someone you know and trust.

Weird situation Mark. Not sure what I would have done, but it sounds like you addressed it with as much tact as a person can, being that he's a long timer and all.

I cetainly think I tried. The situation has my head spinning.

Yikes. Sounds like you handled it as well as the awkward situation allowed.

Wilkey

Wow, really just not sure I would know what to do in that situation. Seems like you handled it well, hope that guy finds some help.

Seems like a cry for attention. If he really wanted to walk...and not be noticed...he 'shirley' could have.
Ya know..looked over at you on the phone...pointed to $20 on the table and said 'cya later'.

I'm glad you didn't loose stock(too much)...and I hope he get's some help!

Wow, really just not sure I would know what to do in that situation. Seems like you handled it well, hope that guy finds some help.

He need serious help.

He was crying, says he has done this to others. He already called his counselor.

bizarre to say the least.

How bizarre. Clearly the guy has either some problems to deal with as of late, thus he's acting like a complete idiot by stealing from a longstanding friend's business/haven of comfort; or conversely, he's just a complete jerk and he's been stealing from you for a while and now he's dealing with things in his life that stir his conscience.

Either way, I personally wouldn't let him back into your store. I understand there is a fine line between trust and helping a friend out and all of that, but you also have a business to run, and he crossed the line of trust.

No sense in inviting your best friend back into your home after you caught him burglarizing it the other night, life screwed up or not.

To me it seems that your long time customer might actually be a long time thief. Actually, it reminds me of how pissed I get when I go to a B&M and they follow me in. Well, they don't know me from Adam so it makes sense to follow me in. I guess it's the ones you know & trust that screws you more.

To me it seems that your long time customer might actually be a long time thief. Actually, it reminds me of how pissed I get when I go to a B&M and they follow me in. Well, they don't know me from Adam so it makes sense to follow me in. I guess it's the ones you know & trust that screws you more.

You know Rob, I wonder!

You know Rob, I wonder!

I hate to think of it too Mark. I think he probably is a free roaming mooch but has moved up in taste and started in on the good stuff.

Wow man. Stealing is most abhorrent when it is done to the small businesses like yours (not a massive corporation that incorporates 'shrinkage' into their budget).

Sounds like he may be abusing your relationship with him, and turned on the waterworks to guilt you out of pursuing this further. I don't know, that is just an outsider's view.

Either way... you handled it well.

Seems as though you handled it properly, you'll never see him again. Good riddance. :angry:

Sucks in so many ways. He stole but at the same time, he was a long time customer. I am so sorry about your situation, I have a business and understand how important, customer relationship is.
Hope he doesn't mess with your head too much Mark.
Have a great week and may you get a handful of new regulars.

I feel bad for the poor guy. When you steal, or harm another in any way, you hurt yourself far more than the victim. You'll survive, maybe a cigar or three poorer and probably a bit wiser, but this poor guy has harmed himself deeply. I hope he gets some help before it escalates.

Bad situation MarK, However i does look like you handled it in a nice smooth manner. The part of you losing a long time customer does suck but you don't need one that is having problems and that steals from you.