• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just how much is "a glass" or a drink to you?

philmore

Hey folks. A newbie question for you.
My wife and I were debating on how much volume a drink is. She is a non-drinker but doesn't mind me drinking. I made a comment about having a drink of scotch and she asked "Just how much is in a drink to you"? I have heard others say they're getting "a glass" of Glenfiddich, etc. I usually just pour an ounce (or two if its a weekend :) )
So, how much do you pour for one drink or a glass, if thats how you say it? Lets say for discussions sake its a sipping liquor taken neat or with a little water or ice.

With a good Cigar, enough scotch until the ice is covered. It might be a big glass though!! :blush:

Six ounce glass of Rum with one or maybe two cubes is the norm for me when I sit down with that and my smoke of the moment.

If its a sipping drink such as scotch or some sort of cognac, I usually pour and count to 4. If I feel like i want more, I'll get more, but that usually does the trick. Indeed sometimes I count slower than others! :sign:

If it's a neat drink 2 fingers in a rocks glass. If it's a rocks drink fill her up with ice and pour to the top.

Depends on if I am smoking or not. I use the Johnson Whisky Tot for drinking whisky and it has two lines etched into the glass. If I am sipping I have a dram. If I am sipping and smoking a cigar, I stop just short of the upper line or about 4 ounces.

2-3 fingers in a rocks glass full of ice for me. Leaves about a finger or so of ice above the Scotch or bourbon.

A good friend of mine with decades of experience in the bar biz says a fifth has 27 shots in it. Those be some SMALL shots in my book; I get about 16 drinks (sometimes less) out of a fifth.

~Boar

Usually about two fingers in a rocks glass. I usually have the glass full of ice, or add more water than most folks.

There are 25.6 ounces in a real fifth or 25.4 in a 750ml. If you are using a one ounce shot glass you should get those 25 drinks. If you use the more common 1.5 oz shot glass you'll only get just shy of 17 drinks per bottle. 2oz is my normal pour.

2-3 fingers in a rocks glass full of ice for me. Leaves about a finger or so of ice above the Scotch or bourbon.

A good friend of mine with decades of experience in the bar biz says a fifth has 27 shots in it. Those be some SMALL shots in my book; I get about 16 drinks (sometimes less) out of a fifth.

~Boar

I don't measure drinks, per se. A number of years ago, an episode of Murder She Wrote featured an IRA gun runner who marked his bottle with a diamond ring. "Here, and no further", he would quip and proceeded to drink to the mark. I kind of liked the idea and although I don't use a diamond ring, I mark my bottle and stop at the mark. Where the mark falls changes as does the situation.

Doc.

I remember that one but it was a Columbo episode not a Murder She Wrote. Those marks were how he got caught too.

I remember that one but it was a Columbo episode not a Murder She Wrote. Those marks were how he got caught too.

Good catch. I got that fella confused with an Irish detective or spy on MSW. Ahh, to have the memory of a young fella.:whistling:

Doc.

Good catch. I got that fella confused with an Irish detective or spy on MSW. Ahh, to have the memory of a young fella.:whistling:

Doc.

All we Irishmen look the same to you, Doc? Is that what you're getting at? :angry:

In the rare occasion that I'm drinking liquor straight, it's usually 2 fingers at the bottom of a rocks glass then 2 large ice cubes dropped in.

Now if I'm mixing, say, whiskey and cola, I'll go somewhere around half and half in a taller glass or solo cup.

Doc.

All we Irishmen look the same to you, Doc? Is that what you're getting at? :angry:

Only the ones in Iowa. But I don't think it's got anything to do with ethnicity. It's probably the shallow gene pool.

Doc.

For me there is really no "standard pour" It is all subjective and dependant upon a few things including Day of the Week, Time of day, Mood, and quality of what I am pouring.

Most often my drinks are around 2-2.5 fingers neat.

I usually find myself pouring just under two fingers in my favorite glass. I guess thats almost two ounces, give or take a little :whistling:

And like others have said, it depends on the day. Today was a cold one and its snowing nice outside. Probably will stay home in the morning and do some sanding and tape off the master bath prepping to paint it. So its a good pour night of some Islay and watching the snow with the Mrs. :)