• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just put a brisket flat into the smoker!

ELittle

Snowman Cage Inventor
I just loaded a brisket flat into the smoker. Mine usually come out tough, so this time I'm trying something new.

I rubbed it in mustard and dry rub 2 days ago and let it sit in the fridge until tonight, then I took it out tonight and rubbed it down with more dry rub. I'm going to cook it at 220 degrees for 16 hours (or until the fork turns easily when inserted into it) with about 5 hours of smoke tonight and more smoke tomorrow after I wake up and see what happens. I usually cook it around 260 for 8 hours, so I'm hoping I'll see some better results this time.

I'll post pics tomorrow. :thumbs:

I'll be over for dinner tomorrow!!!! :D I cook mine until the internal temp reaches 190*. Just right for slicing.

Well, I just took it out. Total smoking time was 15.5 hours at 220 degrees with 5.5 hours of smoke. I'll post a picture in a while, its resting in a foil pan right now tightly covered, I want to look at it so bad! OMG BRISKET!

How much did it weigh? I honestly can't get a brisket right either, so when someone else has success I'm always willing to try their method. Let me know how it turns out.

Well, I just took it out. Total smoking time was 15.5 hours at 220 degrees with 5.5 hours of smoke. I'll post a picture in a while, its resting in a foil pan right now tightly covered, I want to look at it so bad! OMG BRISKET!

Well, we're waiting.

waiting.jpg

It still turned out very dry. Next time I have a couple things I want to try. I want to try brining one, and I want to try cooking it for 16 hours again, but this time foil it after 5 hours of smoke and let it steam itself in the foil for like 11 hours then let it sit for like 90 minutes before carving it like mentioned in the link above.

006.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

16 hours on a brisket is a VERY long time. Most go around 8 hours at 225. You shouldn't ever really go by time but instead internal temp. Try to pull it when it hits around 190 internal.

I would soak it in brine over night, I have a solution but i have to find the exact ingredients. I like to soak it over night, then dry rub it, cook it a bit shorter and if you add any sweet sauce like barbecue only add it at the last 10 minutes because sweet sauces will burn and char.

I had a friend in Texas that worked at a BBQ place there and the way he told me to make brisket was:
First you rub,marinade, whatever you are going to do to it. Then you wrap it in foil and cook it over indirect heat at *200 for 18 hrs. Then you open the foil and smoke it for an hour, 30 minutes on each side. Be careful turning it over because it may actually fall apart. He said you always smoke it last, and never put it over direct heat. I ate his Brisket made this way several times and it was always tender and juicy, with just the right amount of smoke flavor. He also preferred Pecan wood to smoke his.

edited to correct temp

i also cook my brisket most times at 200 degrees. Anything higher seems to over cook it or dry it out.

16 hours on a brisket is a VERY long time. Most go around 8 hours at 225. You shouldn't ever really go by time but instead internal temp. Try to pull it when it hits around 190 internal.
That's usually about how long I cook mine too on a WSM at 225-250. Actually time may vary based on size. I've made quite a few of them and they have never been dry or tough. Going by time never works for me either - I usually shoot for about 190 internal also. I always let it sit for an hour or two wrapped up in foil in a cooler before cutting it up. If you cut it up right out of the cooker all the juices will evaporate and you'll be left with dry, tough meat.

You are not supposed to brine beef, but you should always have a mop and apply it to both sides every hour or so. That will alleviate all dry briskets in the future.

I just tried brisket the first time. Turned out well, did 6 hours in the smoker, then overnight in the oven in the marinade (KBS Beer and some spices) at 200º and covered in foil. Still was dry when it came out. Shredded super easy and added my homemade bbq sauce and it's absolutely delicious. I'm wondering if brisket tends to be drier just because often it's bone out and has little fat comparatively to a pork shoulder.

A 5 to 6 pound trimmed brisket will need about 8 hours but if you are doing a 14 pounder then you can easily double that. I'm a fat side up cooker when using the big piece but I do flip the smaller ones since they have a greater chance of drying out.

Necro thread... sorry

The craze over at the WSM forums is the High Heat Brisket. They cook a brisket at 325-375 (which isn't too hard on the WSM) for about 5 hours instead of 225 for 16. They foil halfway through.

I have not tried this yet, but I will. A lot of folks whose opinions I respect really like this method. Brisket is a lot leaner than pork and it would make sense to cook quicker to retain some moisture.

I'm thinking of trying out the high heat brisket this weekend. I'll be sure to post my results.

i smoked a 5 pound brisket on sunday on my WSM came out awesome. smoked at 250 till it's internal temp reached 190 degrees took around 7 hours then i let it rest in foil for and hour.

2010-07-05_21.45.33%282%29.jpg