• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just put a brisket flat into the smoker!

i smoked a 5 pound brisket on sunday on my WSM came out awesome. smoked at 250 till it's internal temp reached 190 degrees took around 7 hours then i let it rest in foil for and hour.

2010-07-05_21.45.33%282%29.jpg

That looks really good and moist!

i smoked a 5 pound brisket on sunday on my WSM came out awesome. smoked at 250 till it's internal temp reached 190 degrees took around 7 hours then i let it rest in foil for and hour.

2010-07-05_21.45.33%282%29.jpg

That looks really good and moist!

it was left it fat side up the whole time and never touched it no basting at all. had a good 1/2 inch of fat on it.

I'm going to start one in a few hours. Started out with about 14lbs and probably trimmed a 1 &1/2 lbs of fat away. I'll put it on around 10 tonight and it will be ready for lunch tomorrow.

Having grown up in Texas, I learned to BBQ brisket from my grand dad. You have to have an untrimmed brisket. The market trimmed briskets do not have enough fat to carry through the meat and keep it juicy. The second factor is making sure your water pan does not go dry. If you have a good smoker with a deep water pan the meat is basically steamed. The water pan resides directly between the meat and the fire. A 15 pound brisket should take 16-18 hours. I use small wood chips soaked in water with a propane smoker at 225* . I typically marinade it for 48 hours in claudes brisket marinade. It always turns out fantastic . Always cook it with the fat side up!!

Having grown up in Texas, I learned to BBQ brisket from my grand dad. You have to have an untrimmed brisket. The market trimmed briskets do not have enough fat to carry through the meat and keep it juicy. The second factor is making sure your water pan does not go dry. If you have a good smoker with a deep water pan the meat is basically steamed. The water pan resides directly between the meat and the fire. A 15 pound brisket should take 16-18 hours. I use small wood chips soaked in water with a propane smoker at 225* . I typically marinade it for 48 hours in claudes brisket marinade. It always turns out fantastic . Always cook it with the fat side up!!
Good advice. This one cooked almost 15 hours and was perfect. Some people trim the fat from them and others just pull them out of the bag, season and cook. I usually trim the fat down to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch in areas where it seems thick. I'm not to pickey about getting it off and I try not to cut the fat off down to the meat. I do it because I like a nice smoke ring on the meat and I don't want to throw out the bark if the fat doesn't cook down enough.

Edited to correct rookie spelling mistakes. I never claimed to have a good grasp of the English language. At least I can BBQ a mean brisket.

Your and you're.... maybe, there and their I can understand sometimes but meet for meat? Unacceptable.

....I try not to cut the fat off down to the meet. I do it because I like a nice smoke ring on the meet....

Your and you're.... maybe, there and their I can understand sometimes but meet for meat? Unacceptable.

I must admit, being a meat salesman I have often written in my reports that "I will meat with Dave next week" by accident. But yes, unacceptable.

I tried my first brisket yesterday and it turned out pretty well. I didn't get the good crust like you guys did but it was one of the most moist pieces of meat(meet) I've ever had. I injected it with beef broth prior to putting it on the smoker, where it spent 4hrs with Pecan and Mesquite. I have a cheap, charcoal upright Brinkman smoker and I struggle to maintain 225-200 over a long period of time so I finished my brisket in the oven for another 6hrs at 225. It took me about 1.75hrs to get from 170 to 175 and once it did I pulled it from the oven, wrapped it in foil and then a couple of towels and then put it in a cooler for about 3hrs to allow it to cook itself the rest of the way to 190 or so. Aside from not having the crust on it, I was very happy with it.