• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just thinking out loud.

tone-ny

I smoke therefore I am!
I was going to post this in someone else's thread, but thought it would be taken as an attack rather than some advice.

OK while I see the need to sell your wares in a time of need, I don't condone it as a practice! Cigar Pass is not about selling cigars in any shape. It is about a community, true community helps its members in a time of need. But I've looked at the BST forum on CP and it's a fire sale. I've commented on this before, we are not eBay. If people need to sell cigars there are other places to do it that doesn't clutter up CP. If you think this is a hard line it isn't. I have the upmost compassion for what is happening out there. The economy sucks and people are having a hard time making ends meet.

On another note newbies vouching for other newbies is bad form. We have had this bite us in the ass repeatedly! Think before you post or as they say “read more, post less”!

Gary please insert the appropriate picture for me.

I was going to post this in someone else's thread, but thought it would be taken as an attack rather than some advice.

OK while I see the need to sell your wares in a time of need, I don't condone it as a practice! Cigar Pass is not about selling cigars in any shape. It is about a community, true community helps its members in a time of need. But I've looked at the BST forum on CP and it's a fire sale. I've commented on this before, we are not eBay. If people need to sell cigars there are other places to do it that doesn't clutter up CP. If you think this is a hard line it isn't. I have the upmost compassion for what is happening out there. The economy sucks and people are having a hard time making ends meet.

On another note newbies vouching for other newbies is bad form. We have had this bite us in the ass repeatedly! Think before you post or as they say "read more, post less"!

Jessica Alba?

Oh I wish, but this is just as good! :love:

Thanks Gary, I knew you would come through!

On another note newbies vouching for other newbies is bad form. We have had this bite us in the ass repeatedly! Think before you post or as they say “read more, post less”!

I definitely see your point brother. I'm a bit confused on one issue, though, if people are not supposed to sell cigars here, or if it's frowned upon, why is there a section of the forum dedicated to it? Not meant as a sly remark, just a question that requests clarification.

I definitely see your point brother. I'm a bit confused on one issue, though, if people are not supposed to sell cigars here, or if it's frowned upon, why is there a section of the forum dedicated to it? Not meant as a sly remark, just a question that requests clarification.

It exists so that if you got a good deal or knew where to get a good deal you could buy sell or trade cigars. It was put in so the community would benefit and more of us got to try many different cigars than you normally wouldn't have access to. Sort of like a buying club, if you notice a lot of guys mention GB. This is where it originated from, one guy saw a great deal, others couldn't afford to buy a whole box so one guy bought the box and split it with four others. Everyone got a fiver and was able to try a cigar that they couldn't purchase a whole box of.

Now it seems people go on a spending spree, buy too many cigars and the rent comes due. What do they do sell them on CP, I'm not saying this is wrong. But it counter intuitive to what CP is all about. I hope that offers some clarification for you and others that are new to CP. Like in all things YMMV.

PS: I hope things look up for you and your family

You're just using Gary 'cause you can't find good pics.

Ray you are absolutely correct!

It exists so that if you got a good deal or knew where to get a good deal you could buy sell or trade cigars. It was put in so the community would benefit and more of us got to try many different cigars than you normally wouldn't have access to. Sort of like a buying club, if you notice a lot of guys mention GB. This is where it originated from, one guy saw a great deal, others couldn't afford to buy a whole box so one guy bought the box and split it with four others. Everyone got a fiver and was able to try a cigar that they couldn't purchase a whole box of.

Thanks for clarifying bro, I see what you mean now.

Thanks for clarifying bro, I see what you mean now.

Like I said hope things pick up for you!

Now it seems people go on a spending spree, buy too many cigars and the rent comes due. What do they do sell them on CP, I'm not saying this is wrong. But it counter intuitive to what CP is all about. I hope that offers some clarification for you and others that are new to CP. Like in all things YMMV.

With that said, would you agree that if someone has something particularly rare and sought after that they don't care for, they post it to give CPers an opportunity at those particular smokes?
I say that to say this. Although it isn't a group buy from a specific vendor, it shares an opportunity with the community.
Now, where that gets skewed in many cigar communities is the definition of "rare" or "sought after".
I see a fine line with this because some people try to add a "rarity" fee to the total price that sometimes escalates far above fair market value.
That's one thing about CP though. Generally, those attempts are squashed by the upstanding members of CP :thumbs:

On another note newbies vouching for other newbies is bad form. We have had this bite us in the ass repeatedly! Think before you post or as they say "read more, post less"!

Jessica Alba?

What are you trying to say with that ....................."Anthony, get off your high horse." :D

I can see being able to sell from time to time, just as long as CP is not used as your personal selling platform weekly. Spivy seemed like he was always selling something to the point of cluttering up the B/S/T forum, and it used to annoy the hell out of me.

With that said, would you agree that if someone has something particularly rare and sought after that they don't care for, they post it to give CPers an opportunity at those particular smokes?
I say that to say this. Although it isn't a group buy from a specific vendor, it shares an opportunity with the community.
Now, where that gets skewed in many cigar communities is the definition of "rare" or "sought after".
I see a fine line with this because some people try to add a "rarity" fee to the total price that sometimes escalates far above fair market value.
That's one thing about CP though. Generally, those attempts are squashed by the upstanding members of CP :thumbs:

You've been here long enough to see how it works. If you've been a member here and have a cigar or a group of cigars that are of interest and you make them available then go for it. Over the years I have been here, I have been able to get many cigars to sample because someone here made them available. I'll take the example of Spivy, who was a new zealot to cigar smoking. He made numerous deals over the few months he was here. I even took part in a group buy for some new cigars. Unfortunately he bought a deal to the members here for some aged cigars. You know the rest of that story. So what do I say, let the buyer beware and as in all things YMMV.

We joke about "Welcome to CP, go buy a cooler," but it does happen. There are and have been many here who got in over their heads trying to keep up with the Jones' and acquire the latest greatest overpriced rarity. Then, the fire sale. Newbies and those with self control issues, beware. There are people on this board that can afford to buy anything they want. If you can't, don't.

We joke about "Welcome to CP, go buy a cooler," but it does happen. There are and have been many here who got in over their heads trying to keep up with the Jones' and acquire the latest greatest overpriced rarity. Then, the fire sale. Newbies and those with self control issues, beware. There are people on this board that can afford to buy anything they want. If you can't, don't.

Jessica Alba?

<nsfw>

Jessica Alba?

<nsfw>

Now if that was for sale here, I'd be all over that!!!!

Jessica Alba?

<nsfw>

Damn one-upper! (I say this while at work of course :sign: )

Heh spivy, good times. I don't really care if people buy/sell here. What I don't like, and I think what Anthony is getting at, is when someone relatively new hits the minimum trade reqs and all of a sudden all their posts are in b/s/t. if you just want to primarily buy/sell use GT or OLH for that. An additional concern of course is when people are selling many frequently counterfeited cigars. If you are doing a sale a day and it turns out your product is fake, are you really ready to eat the refund? Spivy got stuck in exactly that spot....

There's been a lot of newbie bad form lately. I know we're supposed to be a kinder and gentler CP and the friendliest site on the Web, but shit's getting out of hand.

Doc.

Heh spivy, good times. I don't really care if people buy/sell here. What I don't like, and I think what Anthony is getting at, is when someone relatively new hits the minimum trade reqs and all of a sudden all their posts are in b/s/t. if you just want to primarily buy/sell use GT or OLH for that. An additional concern of course is when people are selling many frequently counterfeited cigars. If you are doing a sale a day and it turns out your product is fake, are you really ready to eat the refund? Spivy got stuck in exactly that spot....

Yeah, I remember that. My thoughts exactly.
Verifying one's own source seems to be too much leg work for some, unfortunately.
Especially when dealing with sticks that are commonly counterfeit, it seems like a no-brainer to verify your sources, inspect, and gasp, maybe even smoke one to check for hay and pencil shavings.