• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Justin Verlander traded to the Astros

As an Oakland Athletics fan, I wish your team misery. I dislike JV, and the Stro's are a division rival.
LOL!

I wasn't a big fan of JV when he was with the Tigers but ya gotta admit, he's a pretty darn good pitcher and most teams would be glad to have him.

Since the Astros are new to the AL West, I'm basically indifferent to the other teams in the division because I really don't know much about them. I harbor a little ill will towards the Braves and the Phillies for giving the Astros a hard time back in the day so I hear ya. The Astros haven't been in the AL long enough for me to get mad at any teams yet but I'll bet that day will come sometime soon.

I remember your A's were awesome in the early 1970s winning three consecutive World Series with some great players including, Jim "Catfish" Hunter, Rollie Fingers, etc. I was a Royals fan back then in elementary school so I can't say I didn't wish the A's a little misery back then myself..... Still though, winning 3 World Series in a row is something I have a great deal of respect for.

Damn I would like to see some team who hasn't won a WS win one and I never wish bad luck on anyone (a little bad ju-ju might come your way). That being said it doesn't mean I can't pull for Washington or any other team to put the Cubs away. I'd rather have a positive attitude.

Yes. Now that the Cardinals are eliminated, I’m officially rooting for the Not-Cubs.

As a current resident of Colorado. I can root for the Rockies. Go Rox! If they beat Arizona. I think they can give the Dodgers a scare and or traditional playoff exit, as Dodgers fans are certainly accustomed to by now. As for the dislike for JV, look up games or moments where he’s beaten the A’s in recent playoffs. I don’t give a damn what anyone says. The umps gave (still give) JV a strike zone the size of the Grand Canyon. The A’s had that 70’a run, that recently, players were interviewed and said, if they could have kept that team together, who knows what could’ve been. That team was before my time, as I was born in 79. I do appreciate baseball history though, and learned about them growing up. The late 80’ A’s were formidable as well, 88 vs Dodgers in WS loss, 89 WS champs sweeping the Giants in the Battle of the Bay/Earthquake WS, 90 WS loss to the Reds. The A’s of the early 2000’s were a wild and crazy team. They should have been champs in 2001. Jeremy Giambi (brother of Jason) didn’t slide, and a crappy call cost them the series. Those money ball A’s would have defeated both Seattle and Arizona. This is the worst moment in Athletics baseball history. A4F21583-B551-41CB-A63E-55396FD72122.jpeg

"The umps gave (still give) JV a strike zone the size of the Grand Canyon."

I never really watched him until he was an Astro and I gotta say, I did notice that............

""The umps gave (still give) JV a strike zone the size of the Grand Canyon."

CM79, if I were a Yankees fan, I probably would have smashed the television today. It sure seemed to me that some balls were called strikes.

JV hasn't lost a came since becoming an Astro including three post-season wins.

Today's Astros victory was certainly a case of the ole "game of inches" cliché.

I'll take it.:)

He was still throwing 96, after 120 pitches. He was a great pickup by the Stros.

Congratulations Bill! Try and make one of the East Hartford herfs. It’s been a long time.

As a Royals fan I've seen more of JV than any one person should be subjected to. The Royals have actually had more success against him than most, but you never like your chances when he's on the bump against your team. With that said, I have a ton of respect for the guy. Always a pro. Never see him headhunting or acting like a jackass. His talent is amazing.

I'm rooting for the Astros because they remind me of the Royals the last few years.

A tad bit before my time. Heading out to Ireland for a week vacation today and had a "Doyers" t-shirt printed up and will be sporting it over there. I'd be shocked if anyone there understands the reference. Heck, there's probably many on this forum that might not understand "Doyers". Last night was painful.

A tad bit before my time. Heading out to Ireland for a week vacation today and had a "Doyers" t-shirt printed up and will be sporting it over there. I'd be shocked if anyone there understands the reference. Heck, there's probably many on this forum that might not understand "Doyers". Last night was painful.
Tonight was better though! Kershaw tomorrow so hopefully we go home up 3 games to 2.

Astros needed to wrap it up last night, JV can't do it all himself. Tonight will be interesting.

Whatever the end result is, in my 43+ years of being an Astros fan, this was the best year ever. I think they'll be a force to be reckoned with for quite some time and I'm looking forward to that.

To the only Astro fan I've ever met in person; congratulations Bill!