• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kinder, gentler CP?

I've witnessed the expulsion of many scammers, moochers and other just generally not good people, like PB and DaveWF and a few more. I would say it takes a lot to get on ggiese, Sam's or some of the other established members radar.

I would also observe that they have mellowed over the years, and if your on that radar screen, you deserve it and it's not a good place to be.

YMMV.

I've witnessed the expulsion of many scammers, moochers and other just generally not good people, like PB and DaveWF and a few more. I would say it takes a lot to get on ggiese, Sam's or some of the other established members radar.

I would also observe that they have mellowed over the years, and if your on that radar screen, you deserve it and it's not a good place to be.

YMMV.

screen.gif

I still got the radar set up...

slap1ey.gif

And the ability to reach out and touch you if ya act up!!!

The funny part of this argument from those that want a "kinder/gentler" CP is the idea that EVERYONE is a good person at heart - I'm hearing this "they just need a little nudge in the right direction to get back on track". C'mon - you can't POSSIBLY believe that drivel...

Sincerely - you really need to meet the likes of people that thrive on that kind of attention (i.e. Davey, PuroMooch, etc.). Sometime when you REALLY want to save someone - let me introduce you to GameLover (in his various forms). He'd love to do some "trades" with you... :whistling:

ALL (and I mean ALL) of the deserving people that have been "driven" out of here deserved a bigger ass kicking than they got. Too bad MOST of the whiners have not been around long enough to understand why.

Carry on!!! :thumbs:

The funny part of this argument from those that want a "kinder/gentler" CP is the idea that EVERYONE is a good person at heart - I'm hearing this "they just need a little nudge in the right direction to get back on track". C'mon - you can't POSSIBLY believe that drivel...

Gee Wally, I guess you're right. Most (ALL) people are whining Phucktards at heart! ;) Present company included?
I would expect ALL the BOTL/SOTLs reading this would take umbrage at that all encompassing description. Says a lot about your view of life in general if that is the way you view it and for that I'm sad for you. Stick to the point of the thread like a respectable adult; you've made some valid points and contributions to the discussion, let's leave the generalizations and name calling to the 5th graders. :)

Gee Wally, I guess you're right. Most (ALL) people are whining Phucktards at heart! ;) Present company included?
I would expect ALL the BOTL/SOTLs reading this would take umbrage at that all encompassing description. Says a lot about your view of life in general if that is the way you view it and for that I'm sad for you. Stick to the point of the thread like a respectable adult; you've made some valid points and contributions to the discussion, let's leave the generalizations and name calling to the 5th graders. :)

I'd love to live in your world, June. But - your Pollyanna view places everyone else at risk - this community is the way it is because there are those that are much more realistic. ;)

You are absolutely right, Neal... :rolleyes:

I'd love to live in your world, June. But - your Pollyanna view places everyone else at risk - this community is the way it is because there are those that are much more realistic. ;)

You are absolutely right, Neal... :rolleyes:

What risk? Make choices to deal with who you want to deal with, like an adult! Yes, I do choose to live in a world where I see most people are good at heart, as evidenced by many BOTL/SOTLs here at CP; it is a realistic view. You are shorting youself. CP is the way it is because most people are good! No way to dispute that. :) :thumbs:

After thinking this through the past week, and listening to all of your point of views, I've decided to forgo the newbie forum. We need to keep everyone on the same playing field; if someone wants to join CP, then they should not be segregated to a separate forum.

Everyone should be encouraged to post an introduction, as we're a community, not a "forum". I see no problem with answering someone's question, and then suggesting they post an intro.

All rules that are in place will be strictly enforced (buys/sales/trades/group-buys/passes/etc).

Bottom line is, no need to be rude to someone. Point them in the right direction, and if they choose to ignore your advice, they'll either leave or be kicked off CP. I just saw a newbie yesterday post a sale, then changed it to a group buy stating that the rules I posted don't mention anything about newbies not being allowed to host a group buy. USE COMMON SENSE! People like that will be banned. Thanks to Gary (greatful1) for catching it.

Bottom line is, no need to be rude to someone. Point them in the right direction, and if they choose to ignore your advice, they'll either leave or be kicked off CP. I just saw a newbie yesterday post a sale, then changed it to a group buy stating that the rules I posted don't mention anything about newbies not being allowed to host a group buy. USE COMMON SENSE! People like that will be banned. Thanks to Gary (greatful1) for catching it.

Good discussion Gents. Glad to see a reasonable decision has been made with appropriate comments in deference to ALL comments given. :D As to Gary's catch - "As it should be!" Good catch Bro!

Good discussion Gents. Glad to see a reasonable decision has been made with appropriate comments in deference to ALL comments given. :D As to Gary's catch - "As it should be!" Good catch Bro!
Agreed!

LOL Jeff, were you once on a debate team? :laugh:

Brian

I appreciate Bruce making this post. Let me reiterate something - EVERY new member deserves respect upon joining. Trust is earned, respect is given until they do something to lose it. There is absolutely no reason to be rude to any new member. If they screw up, point them in the right direction, don't flame them. If they want to do it their way and ignore our rules, that's a different issue. New members need to earn the many privileges this community offers, and I see them doing it everyday! It's not difficult.

This reminds me of being in boarding school and getting the crap beat out of me every day of my freshman year (hazing) and then upon returning from summer vacation being told there is a new law forbidding hazing! :( I still feel jilted after all these years because it was MY turn to whoop some ass, I earned it! :sign: Obviously that is a slightly different situation but it's not that different. I say leave it as it is as I have yet to see anyone not get what the deserve............and this is both ways, good and bad! Some nOObs have been awarded for outstanding achievements and others have been shown the door. The system has worked and it will continue to work. Respect is earned here and this includes stepping into large piles of manure resulting in a reprimand or two and ultimately what did not kill them only made them stronger within the community. Many of our more well known and highly regarded members went through this process.

This pretty much sums up what I was going to say. To avoid this being a "me too" post, I will expand:

The community format scales well on the Internet. We all look out for each other, and so long as the you-are-your-BOTL's-keeper paradigm continues, I think we are on the right track. It is not strictly necessary for the FOG's to police everything: they've handed their knowledge down to noobs of varying degrees, such as myself, and the noobs are able to help keep things in line. We don't let our brothers get snookered around here: if they're going to get ripped off, they've been warned ahead of time.

It's fairly easy to spot noob questions when scrolling through the forums, and NorCalCigarLover has an excellent strategy for handling them. If one does not care to answer yet another FAQ, become embroiled in a religious debate over cellophane, or discuss the virtues of RH, one is free to skip that post. If one feels compelled to answer, then please own your OCD side and don't complain about the post, because no one held a gun to your head and forced you to click on one of the reply buttons.

I like the entry process here. Yes, there are some hard knocks, coming up. Yes, you can get the rough side of someone's tongue (fingers?) if you run afoul of some of our more cantankerous members. I find this to be a good thing; it adds character and personality to our community. Yeah, SamClemmons can be like an old man sitting on the porch with a shotgun loaded with rocksalt waiting for some youngin' to step into his petunias, but the kids learn pretty quickly not to mess with Old Man Neal. At the same time, his participation in other threads have damaged expensive keyboards via nasally-expelled beverages.

If it means anything, I suggest that Rod not change a thing. When the membership of the board starts getting a communal case of irritability (almost like PMS, but on a yearly basis now) we have other fine BOTL's like NullSmurf to throw us a bar of chocolate and remind us not to slaughter the noobs for lesser offenses.

After thinking this through the past week, and listening to all of your point of views, I've decided to forgo the newbie forum. We need to keep everyone on the same playing field; if someone wants to join CP, then they should not be segregated to a separate forum.

Everyone should be encouraged to post an introduction, as we're a community, not a "forum". I see no problem with answering someone's question, and then suggesting they post an intro.

All rules that are in place will be strictly enforced (buys/sales/trades/group-buys/passes/etc).

Damn, I should have read through to the end before posting. :grumble:

What risk? Make choices to deal with who you want to deal with, like an adult! Yes, I do choose to live in a world where I see most people are good at heart, as evidenced by many BOTL/SOTLs here at CP; it is a realistic view. You are shorting youself. CP is the way it is because most people are good! No way to dispute that. :) :thumbs:

YAY!!! You do see the world as I do - where MOST people are good at heart. I don't believe anyone has ever said it was any other way (albeit there was some discussion about treating EVERYONE with respect and dignity, which we both know is largely foolish)... :thumbs:

And you're absolutely right, bro - there is very little risk in this community. Because the risk has been largely removed by the management (Rod) and members (plural - multiple) here. ;)

Thanks for the post! I'm all warm and fuzzy now! :love:

I appreciate Bruce making this post. Let me reiterate something - EVERY new member deserves respect upon joining. Trust is earned, respect is given until they do something to lose it. There is absolutely no reason to be rude to any new member. If they screw up, point them in the right direction, don't flame them. If they want to do it their way and ignore our rules, that's a different issue. New members need to earn the many privileges this community offers, and I see them doing it everyday! It's not difficult.

This is why "IT WORKS"