• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Know who your shipping tobacco products to...

BigBear

Never Mistake Kindness for Weakness!!
Thought this may be of interest to some of our brothers & sisters that have B&M's that ship to their customers.

FDA Recruits Minors For Online Cigarette Purchases

7:04 AM, DEC 1, 2014 • BY JERYL BIER

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently solicited quotes from contractors to recruit minors ages sixteen and seventeen to purchase "regulated tobacco products" on the Internet. The purchase attempts must be made from a facility located in Virginia and shipped to a P.O. Box provided by the FDA for purposes of this probe. The FDA is careful to note that the contractor must "debrief minors on the dangers of tobacco use" and that the minors "[agree] NOT to attempt to purchase tobacco products" outside of the FDA investigation.
All minors recruited as part of this program must have written approval from their parents or legal guardians. Once the contractor has obtained immunity for the jurisdiction in which the purchase is to be made, the minor is to make the purchase over the Internet under the supervision of the contractor. Generally, a debit card or prepaid credit card designated for the project is to be used to establish the date, amount and location of the purchase. Although the identities of the minors are to be kept confidential, the documents warn that "n the event of possible enforcement or judicial action, however, the minor’s identity may be revealed, and the minor may need to provide a declaration and/or give oral testimony in a hearing."
Minors participating the program are to be debriefed at the end of each day of participation in the program. At minimum in each debriefing session the teens are to be reminded that:
• All tobacco products are harmful.
• No tobacco product is safe.
• It is illegal under federal law for retailers to sell tobacco products to minors, and illegal under some state laws for minors to purchase or possess tobacco products.
• Neither the Contractor nor FDA/CTP approve of minors purchasing or using tobacco products.

• The minor has received special authorization to attempt to purchase tobacco products solely for regulatory purposes as part of a contract.FDA-SOL-1138245
• The minor has been instructed not to attempt to purchase tobacco products, except as part of this contract and under the direct supervision of the Contractor.
• The minor agrees NOT to attempt to purchase tobacco products, except as part of this contract and under the direct supervision of the Contractor.
Contractors are to attempt single purchases at no more than twenty-five different online tobacco vendors. The FDA anticipates that 80 percent of purchases attempted in this effort will be successful, although the agency concedes this is just an estimate.
Often government agencies conduct investigations of online businesses or other sites (and even individuals) using adults posing as minors. The FDA did not respond to an email inquiry why this particular investigation requires the involvement of actual minors. However, the documents accompanying the solicitation state that "[m]inors are an integral part of conducting purchases of regulated tobacco products to ensure compliance" with applicable laws and related FDA regulations. In 2012, the FDA used minors while conducting inspections of retail tobacco establishments.

This was posted from: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/fda-recruits-minors-online-cigarettes-purchases_820288.html

FUCK OFF Big Government...

Holy Shit, who are the horseshit parents allowing this to occur with their children...

The same occurs with undercover "stings" when they send minors to buy alcohol at liquor stores.

Part of the business.  If you're willing to sell or ship this kind of stuff, you need to be prepared with those precautions in place, to keep you out of trouble.

Hell, some breweries won't even let you look at their webpage until you've stated that you were of age.

Total crap!!
It's the parents job to ensure their children are not "Ordering" contraband or otherwise age inappropriate items. 
I don't agree with any company that's willing to sell to minors, but they are rooted out by parents that pay attention to what their children are doing.
If I was conspiracy minded... I'd say they have several companies they'd like to see out of business, hell you can lie or fake anything to "prove" your of age. (???? who knows??)

I know they have done this in the past here in Hawaii both for liquor and tobacco.  They aren't given fake id's, just sent into the stores to see if the store sells to them.  If they do, then the cops come in and bust the place.

I'm assuming that the kids are representing that they are under age throughout the purchasing process.  If that is the case, then this seems fine to me.

Is it the business' responsibility to perform due diligence in confirming falsified identification though?

BigBear said:
Total crap!!
It's the parents job to ensure their children are not "Ordering" contraband or otherwise age inappropriate items. 
I don't agree with any company that's willing to sell to minors, but they are rooted out by parents that pay attention to what their children are doing.
If I was conspiracy minded... I'd say they have several companies they'd like to see out of business, hell you can lie or fake anything to "prove" your of age. ( ???? who knows??)

Same thing with not letting anyone under the age of 21, to walk into a liquor store.  I purchased beer, while underage and I'm sure a lot of the membership here did as well. It wasn't my parents fault that I did it, nor would I hold them accountable.

What's the harm in this, it's been ongoing for years.  It would solve the issue, if any liquor or tobacco related website, would require age identification at the start. Yes, it can be faked but that in itself would(I hope), not put the website at blame if a 17 year old did purchase cigarettes or a cigar online.   

Setharsis said:
I'm assuming that the kids are representing that they are under age throughout the purchasing process.  If that is the case, then this seems fine to me.

Is it the business' responsibility to perform due diligence in confirming falsified identification though?

If this is the case, I have no issues with it.  Every online retailer I've been a patron of has asked in one form or another to verify date of birth.  It seems that is more of the "honor system", but not sure how else to go about it with online retailing.  If it is the underage recipients falsifying this information, then wouldn't that put the legal heat on THEM?

Is it enough to ask "are you old enough to purchase tobacco" with no real checks behind it? If it is and the minors must represent themselves accordingly, then I don't see the issue. If this is a witchhunt to prove that's not enough and the onus of proof of age is going to be put on the retailer, then it's going to be a problem. 

Let's hope it's the former? 

I remember folks looking for someone of age to buy them cigs back in the highschool days.  Its a shame, that Uncle Sam needs someone else to buy him cigs too.  Bet you can find him out by the Smoker's Tree with all of the other cool kids.

I started buying tobacco over the counter when I was 14---Swisher Sweets and Black n' Milds and Hav-a-Tampas mostly. Graduated to cigarettes when I was 17 and bought them at gas stations and grocery stores.  Got carded once in all that time.

Of course, that was the Seventies.  :blush:

~Boar

smellysell said:
grammar1.png

Our government.

Where is liberty? I should stop there. Tabacco does have a bigger stigma than weed.

JHolmes763 said:
Is it enough to ask "are you old enough to purchase tobacco" with no real checks behind it? If it is and the minors must represent themselves accordingly, then I don't see the issue. If this is a witchhunt to prove that's not enough and the onus of proof of age is going to be put on the retailer, then it's going to be a problem. 

Let's hope it's the former? 

kona1000 said:
Our government.

Where is liberty? I should stop there. Tabacco does have a bigger stigma than weed.

A lot of great comments here... with that said:

Agreed!!

bfreebern said:

Total crap!!
If I was conspiracy minded... I'd say they have several companies they'd like to see out of business, hell you can lie or fake anything to "prove" your of age. ( ???? who knows??)

Same thing with not letting anyone under the age of 21, to walk into a liquor store.  I purchased beer, while underage and I'm sure a lot of the membership here did as well. It wasn't my parents fault that I did it, nor would I hold them accountable.

What's the harm in this, it's been ongoing for years.  It would solve the issue, if any liquor or tobacco related website, would require age identification at the start. Yes, it can be faked but that in itself would(I hope), not put the website at blame if a 17 year old did purchase cigarettes or a cigar online.   

Speak for yourself, scofflaw.  Some of us respect and adhere to the laws of our nation.  Sinner.