• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Aurora Cien Anos Belicoso

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
La Aurora Cien Anos Belicoso

WOW! What a great cigar! I smoked this first thing in the morning so my palette would be fresh. I doubt it was necessary as the intensity of this cigar would blast through anything.

6 1/4 x 52 ring A Dominican puro that are a limited edition and are going fast but they are still available - for now. Light brown wrapper with one medium vein. Feels silky and firm. Cap is well wrapped unlike some belicosos so I clipped it a half-inch down. Has a double band with the lower one having a serial# 207515. Very pungent pre-light odor of earthy delight with a bit of something else. Pre-light draw is sweet and earthy.

1st Third: Toasted the foot well and first draw is very sweet with adequate draw. Molasses with a spicy/earthy background. Anyone who says they have trouble tasting these types of flavors should fire one of these up. The flavors are undeniable and persistent. Ash is light gray and firm. The sweetness backs off after a half-inch and more complex flavors come forward. Toasted caramel and almonds with a leather background.

2nd Third: Leather continued to get stronger but not at the expense of the sweet flavors. Nice contrast. Ash fell at close to three inches in. I am amazed at the intensity of this cigar. It is a bit much for a morning cigar but I am enjoying it. I would say medium body with a great finish. Fullest flavor I've experienced and decent strength. I am puffing a little too fast because it's so damn tasty it's hard to control myself! This cigar is too much.

Last Third: Caramel comes back for a bit and all flavors intensify which is saying something. Toasted almond mixes with light leather sourness to produce an exquisite flavor. It's a little peppery but not too much. Burn wanders a bit but self-corrects. The finish gets better the longer you smoke it. I am feeling the strength a bit now. Went to get coffee and left a half-inch nub in the ashtray and it's still lit after five minutes so I puff away some more! Nubbed with a quarter-inch to go. Where is that roach clip? :p

Conclusion: I really enjoyed this cigar and wonder if I can somehow swing a box after the holidays - if there are any to be had. It is the most expensive and most rewarding cigar I have smoked to date. (I have a couple ESGs resting but have never smoked one and I doubt they are as good.) I think they are worth the $16 price if smoked occasionally. I doubt there is a more flavorful cigar anywhere(ISOMs included) and if there is I'm not sure it would be a good idea! The toasted flavors mixed well with the leather ones. I have heard these described as full-bodied but I have smoked fuller-bodied cigars. Medium-full maybe. I have smoked the robusto and corona of this line and this blew them away!

Summary:

Construction: 10 of 10

Draw: 10 of 10

Burn: 9 of 10

Flavor 10 of 10

Complexity 10 of 10

Finish 10 of 10

Value 9 of 10

Hand-mades start with 30 points. . . .

Total Score: 98 of 100

Nice review, I have one in the humi you have just motivated me to smoke sooner. I also enjoyed your scoring system.

Nice review, Steve. Very well done. This sounds like a great cigar.

Wilkey

Perfect conclusion and excellent review. I only had two of these and yeah I think they beat the ESG or EDS. If I had a few more I would dare say it matches an anejo or wins by a nose.

I can not afford these by the box. So I bought two boxes of the 1492 series. Not as great overall but on the price/flavor ratio a great deal.

Some of you might remember i HAD some of the robusto's..while not a bad smoke, it certainly wasn't worth the price tag.Maybe more down time would have done it but after paying $9 a stick.....sh*t! The belicoso i haven't heard much about(review wise) but at $13/stick i hope it's as good as you say.

98 out of 100 wow, sounds like you really enjoyed this cigar. I am going to have to find a couple of these and try them. Nice review!

Maybe a good candidate for a box split. :whistling:

Sounds like a terrific smoke. Thanks for the review!

Nice review! Sounds great.

I was gifted one of these, can't wait for it. Thanks for the review!

98 out of 100 wow, sounds like you really enjoyed this cigar. I am going to have to find a couple of these and try them. Nice review!

Maybe a good candidate for a box split. :whistling:

After you try one or two, PM me. I kinda had my heart set on some PSD4s for my next splurge. ;) But down the road, who knows! Also, if a good price can be found now it might be wise to jump on it.

I have seen them for about 300/box. Let me know as I am interested in a 5er.

These are one of my favorites. I have a couple sitting in the humi for over a year now and I was going to spark one up and see if it has improved. And I wanted to say nice review...

Great cigar!
I hope to grab a box someone is holding for me before the new year.
medium-full is my opinion as well.

There are boxes to be had still and have nice age now.I believe the prices will come down in 07 but ya never know.I have seen prices go up as they become more and more scarse.

I just smoked one of these from a blind fiver trade, and hot damn was it a good cigar! I said that whatever it was, it was definitely in my top five smokes. I wasn't able to identify all the different flavors (I just said it was spicy at first, and sweeter once it got going), but I can tell you this was a balanced, smooth, medium-full smoke. However, I am afraid I've had to scrap my plans to buy a box - they're just too expensive. I'm certainly very satisfied with having smoked this one, though, it was a great cigar.

I have just recently taken interest in trying this cigar. I went to my reg. B&M yesterday lookin' for it. The young lady tells me they don't have anymore. Dammit! To add insult to injury, she tells me they had them for so long and no one was buying them that they went into the discount section for a while. DAMMIT!!!...... and because of this they probably wouldn't be getting anymore in! F$%K!!!! I probably walked past them a hundred times and never even looked at them.

DeVonn

I picked up a box of the corona sized ones awhile back. I'm letting them age for awhile, and picking off the few singles I have every now and then. The Cien Anos is definitely a great cigar and if you like them at all you may want to pick up a few, they are getting harder and harder to find.

Great review! I have (2) Beli's sitting in my humidor. It's really going to sadden me burning them..lol I had one a few months back and I agree very balanced, great taste, but the beli got very harsh towards the end.

I love this smoke!! A few BOTL worked some deals with me and I have about 20 coming my way, a few that where part of the lower numbers. Man I love this smoke. Nice review!!

Step