• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Dueña - Love at First Light

SkyKing

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9968]

Vitola: Petite Lancero
Length: 6
Ring Gauge: 42
Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $168 box of 21 at W.C. Drapers in Bethesda, Md
Beverage: Coffee/Coke/scotch

Background: Blended by Pete Johnson and rolled in Nicaragua by "My Father's Cigar" and named after Janny Garcia, daughter of Jaime. La Duena translates as the "The Owner" and the blend name was in honor of Janny.

Pete Johnson was reported as saying, "Janny likes La Riqueza and I was trying to make it a little stronger than that. I say it’s a cigar for everyone but made for La Dueña. This is a cross between La Riqueza and La Casita Criollo. I wanted flavor over strength. Plus the aroma on these cigars is awesome."

I'd planned on going to the W.C. Draper cigar lounge on Saturday and smoking one or two new sticks while I prepared a class lesson. On the way to the lounge, I had to pass the table of the day's featured cigars.

Paul, one of the proprietors, recommended a new My Fathers stick called La Dueñal. He said it was maybe the best smoke at this year's IPCPR show. I knew nothing other than I liked the "My Fathers" I've tried, at least in general, but I coughed up the 8 bucks and change, expecting a decent smoke but not thinking too much about it. I go to the shop mostly for the opportunity to try smokes by the stick and this was just the last of many.

I removed the cello and noted that the wrapper looked a little like a Padron but with a pig-tail. Deep maduro color, some tooth, rough-hewn wrapper, some veins but nothing prominent. The pre-light aroma was very barn-yard like, with some sweetness plus fresh cut tobacco. Somewhat complex even before lighting.

With the small vito, lighting took just a few seconds and produced billowing smoke almost immediately. The smoke was delicious from the first quarter inch. It reminded me of a Padron Ambassador or Londre but more elegantly balanced. There was a definite taste of cocoa and chocolate on the backend. There was black pepper and spice but they were contained a smooth bed of cream.

The peppers accents became more prominent in the second third but still served to accentuate the very nicely balanced cream, coco and tobacco flavors. The burn was razor-sharp and the aroma was pleasant would likely not offend the tolerant non-smoker. By this time, I was thrilled with the subtly changing sweet spices, creamy texture and perfect balance that had various flavors singing together in nuanced harmonies.

The last third ended with heavier pepper swells building on an ever thickening base of cocoa and cream. The burn was terrific until the end, the wrapper held together and the aroma pleasant.

Summary
Did I tell you the smoke reminds me lot of the Padron line? Maybe a 1964? If I were forced to pickone superlative for this stick, it would be: BALANCE.

Normally, before buying a box of cigars, I will smoke one of a line. If I like it, I will smoke two to four more, and only then, decide if I wish to invest in a box. In this case, I couldn't help myself and purchased one before I left the store.

I gifted the first out of the box, in honor of Uncle Nick, to a neighbor who was equally enthusiastic. I liked the second one all most as much as the first.

I would give this smoke at least a 90 on the CA scale or 5 out of 5 stars. Or simply, this gets my "Buy" recommendation.

The first pic is of "La Duenar" herself.

JannyGarcia.jpg

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9969]

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:9970]

Nice job on the review! I have also been really enjoying this vitola in this cigar. Already been through 3 or 4! I have dibs at my b&m on the shipment of boxes I want one!

I ordered a 5 pack today from Atlantic cigars :) I can't wait to try a few. Thanks for the review man.

Jason

I have half a box left of petite robustos that were sold at a smoker in April here. They changed the box design and didn't have labels yet. Wonder if they taste the same?

Beverage: Coffee/Coke/scotch

Nice review but I'm going to need more information on your beverage. :0

I smoked several sticks in the course of this review. The first, on Saturday morning, was with coffee; followed by a Coke (Mexican recipie - real sugar, not corn fructose). Both very compatible.

Lit up another Saturday evening accompanied by stinger; followed by finger or two of Buchanan's Special Reserve 18 Year old blended scotch, rated 96 (Superlative) at tastings.com. The only other blend to score as high is the Whyte & Mackay "Original" 40 Year Old Aged Blended Scotch Whiskey. What is the difference? $1930.00. You can find a bottle of Buchanan for $70 while the Whtye & Mackay sells for a cool $2000. Both smoke and drink were complementary.

I smoked the last one Monday evening with a Fat Tire from the Colorado Belgium Brewery. Didn't fit so well. The smoke underscored the hop taste, giving both drink and smoke something of a metallic aftertaste that bordered on unpleasant. Just didn't fit. I did try a pumpkin ale and that worked much better.

Loved the review and the pic of Janny.

I ordered a 5 pack today from Atlantic cigars :) I can't wait to try a few. Thanks for the review man.

Jason
Great idea, Jason! Thnink I'll do the same.

I gifted the first out of the box, in honor of Uncle Nick, to a neighbor who was equally enthusiastic.

Great review Steve...and thanks for the props to my Uncle Nick.

This was one of the last times I hung out with my uncle, he was 83 in this picture and passed away a short time later. As always, he had a cigar in his right hand up to the very end!

UncleNick.jpg

Your uncle looks cool to hang with, Gary. I hope to have a cigar and a smile always in my hand too!

I gifted the first out of the box, in honor of Uncle Nick, to a neighbor who was equally enthusiastic.

Great review Steve...and thanks for the props to my Uncle Nick.

This was one of the last times I hung out with my uncle, he was 83 in this picture and passed away a short time later. As always, he had a cigar in his right hand up to the very end!

Awesome picture Gary. I hope I can emulate him in my later years. Just awesome!!

Steve

I have half a box left of petite robustos that were sold at a smoker in April here. They changed the box design and didn't have labels yet. Wonder if they taste the same?

The new ones are even better than the pre-release IMO! :thumbs: