• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Riqueza #4

baldheadracing

Reading more, posting less
This particular cigar was a tag-along hiding deep inside the packaging of a GPS that I purchased from Strayvector a few days after I joined CP. Thank-you Strayvector! :thumbs:

I'm not 100% sure of the size - hindsite being 20/20 I should have measured the cigar - but I think it was the #4- 5"x48.

This was the first Pete Johnson cigar that I've ever smoked - marketing works in weird ways, and Mr. Johnson's comments that he is trying to imitate Cuban cigars has turned me off - I see no reason to pay more for an imitation when the "real deal" is legal here in Canada :blush:

However, the la Riqueza is not an imitation - it has a definitely non-Cubanesque broadleaf (sun-grown) Connecticut wrapper, coupled with Nicaraguan filler/binder. The wrapper makes this cigar closer in taste to, say, a Padron 1964 natural than a Cuban IMHO. Opinions vary on how much a wrapper can influence a cigar's taste, but in the case of La Riqueza, I think that the wrapper makes the cigar.

The wrapper is dark, but is not a Maduro. Being sun-grown broadleaf, it isn't as fine in appearance as a shade grown wrapper, but was a quality leaf - only small veins were visible, and were not felt. No appreciable sheen in the wrapper.

Overall construction was excellent, with a great draw, both cold and hot. The bunch was not flat-cut at the head, but the triple cap was perfectly applied; so, when combined with a sharp guillotine cut, there was none of the loose tobacco bits that I sometimes end up picking out of my teeth when smoking.

Pre-light taste was tangy, foreshadowing a light bite on the tongue of the smoke. The cigar was not as heavy as I would expect in a cigar in this price range - the probable reason for this was discovered once the cigar had burned down a bit, as there were a few stems in the filler, which lead to interesting mini-drainholes (for lack of a better term) in the coal. While not a full-blown tunnel, these mini-drainholes lead to a little extra harshness and hotter smoke for most of the cigar. This harshness disappeared, and the smoke cooled down, once the mini-drainholes disappeared - so I ended up nubbing the cigar. Nubbing is something I personally very rarely do. Again, other than the mini-drainhole issue, the cigar smoked and drew perfectly. The cigar had an even burn, good ash, and had no issues with burn line. One touch-up with about and inch and a half left in the cigar was it.

Taste of the cigar was just about perfect - a very light sweetness (although I personally prefer more sweetmess), no saltiness, no acidity (tannins), and just a hint of bitterness, but only when the coal had those mini-drainholes in it. In other words, well-prepared quality tobacco.

Flavours were again influenced by the holes in the coal. This medium-bodied cigar was quite pleasurable, had generous and complex flavours, was well-balanced, but had a relatively brief aftertaste. It is claimed that La Riqueza has no ligero, which could explain the minimal aftertaste. Flavours were more on the pepper/earthy end, but overall a quite nice, and complex, set of tobacco flavours.

In summary, this particular example was perhaps not the best example of the breed, but it was clear that La Riqueza was a cut above. At current market pricing, it isn't a deal, but you won't feel like you're smoking an over-priced $5 cigar, either :).

My score (yeah, I'm a statistician):
- price factor 14/20 (based on Internet pricing)
- taste 15/16
- flavour 17/25 (score affected by the mini-drainholes)
- construction (per-light) 14/15
- burn quality 12/14
- smoke 6/10 (because of the mini-drainholes)

Total 78/100

edit for typos

Nice review. This stick, from the first time I tried (when it first came out) has been part of my weekly rotation. The first box was great. I am trying to age the second one as I am hoping they get better with age.

Must be nice to have access to ISOM's at the local B&M!

Very nice review. I'm smoking a #5 right now and I agree with most of your assessment. I love these things... they fit my flavor profile well. You should give more Tatuaje's a chance along with most things constructed by Pepin as the construction is almost always perfect.

I really love the broadleaf wrappers... I love them on the Anejos too. Very rustic, dark, flavorful.

I always looked at Pete's style as not so much trying to copy Cubans but more of an homage to Cubans I guess.

Excellent review, Craig. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your experience.

Nice review. This stick, from the first time I tried (when it first came out) has been part of my weekly rotation. The first box was great. I am trying to age the second one as I am hoping they get better with age.

Must be nice to have access to ISOM's at the local B&M!
Er, with the prices here, folks use "sources" just like Americans. The difference is, we've got to have Cuban and American 'sources' :whistling: .

Funny - the local B&M's stay afloat by selling to Americans :laugh: . The governator picking up and smoking an alleged Partagas Short last year was the best thing for local B&M's since Bill Clinton bought his cigars here ... :whistling:

Very nice review. I'm smoking a #5 right now and I agree with most of your assessment. I love these things... they fit my flavor profile well. You should give more Tatuaje's a chance along with most things constructed by Pepin as the construction is almost always perfect.

I really love the broadleaf wrappers... I love them on the Anejos too. Very rustic, dark, flavorful.

I always looked at Pete's style as not so much trying to copy Cubans but more of an homage to Cubans I guess.
Well, he did say "I just want to copy it <CC's> better than anyone else." :D With La Riqueza, I think he is moving a bit away from that stance.

I did get a Tat in my newbie sampler (Thanks Niko!) so there's one for me to try. I have had a few DPG's and 601's. The cigars have all been quite good - I especially liked the Cubao - however, not enough for me to want to smoke them instead of Habanos. (Relative cost is a factor as well, none of these fall into my daily smoke price range!)

Excellent review, Craig. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your experience.
Thank-you for the opportunity to try one! :cool:

Very fine review! An excellent effort indeed. I've smoked but one of these and I was not impressed. Luckily the local carries these so I might give them a try again.

BTW, would you elaborate on the difference between flavor and taste?

Wilkey

I plan on smoking my first tonight. Looking forward to it.

Nice review, very in-depth and descriptive.

They taste differently in Canada, you know.
Yup, ambient conditions affect taste, and plenty of government regulation affects the product - Canada is a country founded on "peace, order, and good government" :D. The difference in cigarettes is much more pronounced than in cigars, though, and, not that I have smoked many low-end American-market cigars, I think that mass-market machine-made cigars are better here. However, I suspect that the difference is nonexistent in "premium hand-rolled" cigars (I expect 100% tobacco in a $10 cigar!)

Very fine review! An excellent effort indeed. I've smoked but one of these and I was not impressed. Luckily the local carries these so I might give them a try again.

BTW, would you elaborate on the difference between flavor and taste?

Wilkey
Thanks. I think one has to like natural Connecticut broadleaf to really enjoy that cigar. To me the broadleaf results in a very different cigar from one using shade-grown wrappers, or Maduro wrappers (maduro processing, not the colour).

As for flavour and taste, they're just arbitrary headings. The idea of "taste" is to cover four of the five, er, tastes :blush: - sweet, salt, bitter, and sour (acidity). Thus, when I smoke, I deliberately consider each of those four things in isolation. (As an aside, doing this has changed the way I smoke cigars - I purge a lot now, but I never purged before.) I arbitrarily moved the fifth taste, Umami, to be under "flavour."

The idea of "flavour" is to get at whether the cigar tastes good to me or not: how well the tastes work together; what the overall combination of tastes reminds one of; what kind of impression the smoke (the actual smoke, not the cigar) made, etc. So umami gets covered off inside "flavour" when I think about how "full" the flavour was. For example, I wouldn't say that this was a "creamy" cigar, but I did use "earthy." Both are neither good nor bad, just descriptors.

Underlying the splitting up of "taste" and "flavour" is to hopefully be able to talk about a cigar without injecting one's personal, er, tastes into the review, i.e., "it isn't what I personally prefer to smoke, but it is a good cigar, because ..."