• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Label or no Label?

Band until there isn't room for the band. That way people know what im smoking and I don't have to keep answering the question.

I will leave it on until the band loosens up. I like to see what everyone is smoken! I have torn some wrappers :angry:

I leave then band on till heated then remove to avoid damaging the cigar. I then save all of my bands, go to the local hobby store, buy a styrofoam ball, glue the bands on the styrofoam, creat a nice little gold corded hanger and place on my christmas tree as an ornament :thumbs:

Band on until I get close to it, then it comes off. Don't really see any reason to do it otherwise.

From what I've read it's an old English gentleman's tradition to remove the band so as not to show off, so to speak. Practically speaking there's less chance of damaging the wrapper if the cigar is allowed to warm up prior to removing the band. Personally, I like to know what the other guy is smoking.

I've spent a decent amount of time in England, and I didn't notice anyone removing their bands. Perhaps it used to be a tradition?

In any event, there are so many good reasons to leave the band on, and so few good reasons to take it off... but it's not particularly important either way.

Young guys take the band off 'cause they remember what stick they hacve. Old guys leave it on 'cause it's one less thing to remember. :p

I leave the band on until the burn is a centimeter away. I care more about not damaging the wrapper than I do about looking pretentious. Plus, If everyone leaves them on, everyone knows who's smoking what!

Sometimes what I do is save the bands from my expensive cigars and glue them on my JLPs and Quinteros to look like a shooter McGavin. :D

I leave the band on...

...unless I take the band off.

:laugh:

Whatever mood I'm in depicts whether it stays on or comes off. So no real preference!

I discovered a practical reason for leaving the band on not too long ago. I recently had a cigar develop a nasty split in the wrapper about midway through the smoke. The binder was visibly expanding and I could hear the cigar bursting. In an attempt to salvage the smoke, I carefully slid the intact band down to the leading edge of the split which constricted the bloated area and limited how much more the binder could expand. I slowly moved the band back until the burn line caught up and consumed the split. Good as new! Had I not performed this procedure, the binder would have kept expanding, which would have split the wrapper all the way to the head, completely destroying a good cigar.

I discovered a practical reason for leaving the band on not too long ago. I recently had a cigar develop a nasty split in the wrapper about midway through the smoke. The binder was visibly expanding and I could hear the cigar bursting. In an attempt to salvage the smoke, I carefully slid the intact band down to the leading edge of the split which constricted the bloated area and limited how much more the binder could expand. I slowly moved the band back until the burn line caught up and consumed the split. Good as new! Had I not performed this procedure, the binder would have kept expanding, which would have split the wrapper all the way to the head, completely destroying a good cigar.

Thats at least one good use for a band. Very cool Elliot.

I tend to leave it on, until it loosens up and I can slide it off. However it really depends on my mood, sometimes right from the start and sometimes I let them burn to with a half inch or so.

i usually take the band off so everyone will think the dog rockets i smoke are high dollar :blush: anyone want to sell me some bands off their good cigars so i can look ritzy?

I always remove the band. I find that it gets in the way, it winds up touching my lips which I don't like.