• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Last minute?

Allofus123

Here ducky, ducky, ducky!
Anyone ever last second an auction on E-bay? I'm working on one right now...gotta go...hehe! :sneaky:

You bet... That's the only way you have a chance cause everyone else is doing it.

I have about a dozen w/i 3 seconds of closing over my 5 years on eBay. Now that I'm busier than ever, I just bid high and bid early. I guess I'm losing my competitive spirit in my ripe old age :D bwahahahaaha

Cheers,

MonkeyK said:
That's what sniper software is for.

See: Auction Sniper
Interesting...... went to the site and to use it you had to give them all of your E-bay info including password? :0 And people do this? :0 :0

Absolutely.

That one is a server based tool. There are also client based tools. Hopefully their servers have faster connections to ebay than your machine.

The advantage to this one is that it gives you 3 snipes for free.

I use esnipe and yes I give them my ebay info. I have used esnipe for years and never have had any problems at all. Theres nothing like it. Makes it easy when the action closes at an inconvienent time.

Allofus123 said:
Anyone ever last second an auction on E-bay? I'm working on one right now...gotta go...hehe! :sneaky:
I learned that little trick :sneaky: when someone grabbed an item that I was bidding on at the last (literally) second.

hey, wait a minute... IT WAS YOU!!!

:sign:

OK, I see that it ask how many seconds before the end do you want it to snipe. Why would they ask that? Wouldn't everyone want it to snipe at one second before the auction closed?

I love the sport of it!!

I do it manually and like to time it to the last second. I've never missed one yet ;)

Putting in high bids early is just asking for trouble, the seller or his buddies will drive the price up in minimum bid increments to drive you to your max which means you pay more that you should have.

I don't use any extra software. I just put in the maximum bid that I'm willing to pay for something, and let ebay bid for me automatically. If it goes over the max I want to pay, I don't want the item anyway.

Good thinking Moki, that method certainlly saves a lot of time and/or having to set your alarm for 3:00 a.m. to get that last second bid in.

I HATE is when people on the west coast start their listings at midnight which means for us east coasters, they end in the middle of the night! :p

The reason they ask you how many seconds is a reliability thing.You may miss with one second if there is a net hicup of some sort, but may also miss out to someone who does use one second.

If you just enter one big amount you are way more likely to get to that big amount. Sniping doesn't give people any time to think there bids over and try to out do you. "Hmmm, still not enough, then I'll bid this much, hmmm, still not enough......." Ofcourse it leaves you with no time to rivise your bid either, but then you already know what your max is and if its not enough then so be it.

gibu said:
If you just enter one big amount you are way more likely to get to that big amount. Sniping doesn't give people any time to think there bids over and try to out do you. "Hmmm, still not enough, then I'll bid this much, hmmm, still not enough......." Ofcourse it leaves you with no time to rivise your bid either, but then you already know what your max is and if its not enough then so be it.
ahhh, I see, that makes sense. I wonder what happens in this scenario:

-- Someone like me enters in a large amount, say, $800 for an item
-- You're sniping the auction, which is currently with me winning, at $500
-- You snipe a price of $510 seconds before the auction ends

...does the eBay software kick in quick enough so that I'll automatically get my bid raised to $520? I'd think that since that's happening on eBay's end, it'd be faster than anything else. If so, this sort of defeats the purpose of sniping, if someone has done what I do in terms of entering a maximum bid, no?

Yep, no need to worry there. The sniper will loose out and get an email saying there bid of $510 was successfully entered at so and such time but was not high enough to win the auction. Happens all the time, but then it went for more then I was willing to spend anyway.

I'll put in my bid 2 days or so before it ends, if it gets beaten,

go to auction for last 5 min,
manually put in the amts., that way can stop when it gets to a point that it is no longer worth it to me.

That Sniper Auction sounds like a great tool for an e-bay addict like me.
Will definitely try it .

gibu said:
Yep, no need to worry there. The sniper will loose out and get an email saying there bid of $510 was successfully entered at so and such time but was not high enough to win the auction. Happens all the time, but then it went for more then I was willing to spend anyway.
Well, what I mean is... in cases like that, it doesn't benefit you, right? If anyone has entered a high amount, and told ebay to bid automatically, Sniper does not assist you -- only when people don't do that maximum bid thing, yes?

????

Uh...... Ahhhh......

Yes? No? What?

I'll go with no. If the maximum bid is higer then your maximum bid then yea, you still loose even with esnipe. It has nothing to do with anything other then when the bid is made. Having said that, both sides still use maximum bids just as they would anyway. The current high bidder may have a maximum bid still not reached, but the sniper bids a minimum bid amount but also a maximum bid amount as well. The two maximums battle it out and the one that wanted it more still gets it. Just because of the snipe there is no chance to chance your mind and revise upward.

Did that get it??