• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Legit or fake

gkpk

Hi Guys

I went on a cruise to St.Maarten about two weeks ago.
I found a cigar shop that had a walk-in humidor that was full of....of course isom from top to bottom, i mean you couldn't touch the walls of the humidor it was sooo packed.
I told the vendor i wanted a box of the Siglo VI.
He gave me and my brother-in-law one each to try them out.
I never had the siglo VI but this cigar tasted awesome, so i went ahead and bought them, the price was great also.
I just want to know what you guys think.
You think the place is legit?

My understanding is that fakes normally taste pretty ill...

So if these were good, it is a good chance they are legit, but some of the FOG's here might have further pointers to determine it.

Sam

Thanks Sam
I'm about 95% sure they are real.
Checked out the stamp on the box,looks legit,.
Cigars look perfect.
Any more advice?

There is no way for anyone to answer your question with the above information. Pictures? Cigar measurements? Presentation in the box? Price you paid? Do you have a black light?

What was the name of the Cigar Shop?

what do the ones in the box taste like?
if great, what's the prob?

but, would def. help to see some pics of the closed part of the cigar and the box, etc. to know for sure.

:thumbs:

Your right Allofus....not enough info.
Ok..........The sticks were in the slide lid box with the yellow ribbon around them.
The measurements are 52.......5 7/8.
I will post a pic up later tonight or tomorrow.
They seem legit....the little certificate in the box the stamp outside the box with the five farmers in the field and all.
It's just that the place didn't look like a cigar shop until you walk in and see the walk-in humidor to the far right corner.
I don't have the box because the vendor put the sticks in a cardboard box and left the original in the shop and no i don't have a blacklight.

the vendor put the sticks in a cardboard box and left the original in the shop

oh oh, BAD sign. Not that I'm an expert on how cheats operate BUT when they want to KEEP the box, it often times means that the re-fill them with fakes.

No CC
They didn't want to keep it.
I told them to keep it because i didn't want to take it back on the ship with me(too risky).
Then they took off the bands and mailed the bands back to my house.

Hmmm, okay that sound a heck of a lot better!

One reason I prefer the less popular brands (like SLR, VR, RA, JL, SC) is because the chances of them being fake is much lower. Well, the primary reason is that I like stronger Havanas but again, the chances of them being fakes is much lower.

RyJ's, Montes and especially Cohibas have a high probability of being fakes and since I'm not confident enough in my own tasting abilities to tell a real Cohiba from a fake one, I find it difficult to pony up the big $$$ for Cohibas that I'm not confident as to their "origin". As a matter of fact, I'm not sure if I've ever had a REAL one except for the one Phil sent me which I have yet to smoke.

I hear ya CC
I don't know personally but from what i read Cohibas are one of those most counterfeited cigars out there.
That's why i thought to post this topic.
Just to be on the safe side.
But the sig VI imo...delicious.

gkpk said:
It's just that the place didn't look like a cigar shop until you walk in and see the walk-in humidor to the far right corner.
Your first line of defense is to know your source..... from your description it doesn't sound like this was a Habanos House. Doesn't mean they're not legit but it should raise a flag.

The box and seal could have been legit but as CC mentioned its common practice to fill these boxes with counterfeits.

How did you determine these to be a 52 ring gauge?

What'd ya pay for the box?

Our resident Cohiba ho is Matt...... send him one and he'll tell you if its legit or not just don't send him anything for return postage. ;)

Allofus i used a ring gauge chart.
May have to have a chat with Matt.
Hey chat with Matt...rhymes.
But seriously.... i believe i got the real deal.

gkpk... what part of the island were you on? Do you remember the name of the shop? There are quite a few places to uy cigars in St. Maarten. I have never been there, but have a friend who knows the island pretty well. There are two La Casa del Habanos, one on each side of the island. The one on the French side is older, the Dutch side La Casa is farily new. Was the guy at the shop you were at named Mike??

No Matt
It wasn't lcdh.
It was on the dutch side.
I went on a tour to one of the beaches there and when we were heading back the tourguide asked if anyone wanted to go shopping he would drop us off at Front street, he also asked if anyone was interested in isom to speak with him after he dropped us off.
I did and he told me to go into a shop ask for Nick and tell him Carlos sent you and he would take care of us....and he did.
Don't quite recall the name of the shop.
It was on the first block of Front street...up the block from were he dropped us off...had a yellow sign sticking out of it.

gkpk said:
asked if anyone was interested in isom to speak with him after he dropped us off.
I did and he told me to go into a shop ask for Nick and tell him Carlos sent you and he would take care of us....and he did.
Don't quite recall the name of the shop.
Whoa

Me smells something fishy.

Basically they have nothing to lose. Let's say you find out they're fake. What are you going to do, fly down to St. Maarten and kick their asses? Report them to the cops?

They know they'll probably never see you again. I see VERY little motivation on their part to sell genuine sticks and a lot to gain if they choose to sell counterfeit.

Either of these look familiar:
Store-vi.jpg
Cigars20sm-vi.jpg

LOL...No Matt
Neither of those pic. looks familiar.
Lumberg...if i find out their fake i know i can't do anything.
But if their real...they'll have a steady customer.
Matt ,not that's it him or anything but does the guy in the pic on the right have fake ones?

No, this little souveneir shop in Phillipsburg is 100% legit. It sounds like what you got are real, by the description anyway. Personally though, whenever I am in the Carribean and someone asks if I want Havanas and then tells me to ask for so and so, in such and such place... I get nervous.