• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

LFD Cheroots

Do fees equal taxes on out of state orders? Do fees equal some charge for the shipping charges beyond what would normally be expected? I think that I am like Tom in not wanting to find any kind of hidden costs couched as 'fees'. Let us know.

David - it would be much better if you addressed the question of the "fees" being charged in the open - rather than taking it to PM.

Thanks!

To anyone interested we have received more La Flor Dominicana Cheroots. They are selling for $126 for a box of 20 plus shipping and fees. Shoot me a PM in you are interested.

What kind of fees?
I PM'd him this morning asking the same question and haven't received an answer yet.

Strange... He's been back since... :whistling:

screen.gif

Ladies and Gents,
I wanted to give everyone a heads up on an incoming shipment of the La Flor Dominicana Cheroot. This is a powerhouse of a cigar and is the cigar that Litto Gomez will hand you in person. In other words, this cigar is Litto's personal blend that our owner was able to negotiate a limited run of these. THey are only availabe at Empire Cigars in Raleigh, NC (919)870-0081. These shipments generally do not last long and I would prefer that they go to lovers of the leaf like those on this forum. I believe the owner may even be giving a discount to forum members that purchase a box but I will have to double check. I will have more info in the near future but you may want to message me of call the shop to reserve your box now.

Is the owner aware you are posting sales and making trades?? :whistling:

Are these really only available at your store? ???

What are the extra costs? :(

?? :whistling:

Yeah, the owner is aware, and they really are available only from their store*. They are nice little smokes, too! :D

* At least as of right now. Some "store exclusive" cigars have sometimes later on been made available to other LFD stores as well.

David - it would be much better if you addressed the question of the "fees" being charged in the open - rather than taking it to PM.

Thanks!

I'm assuming that it was just a typo, and he meant to say "shipping and handling fees" or "shipping fees"... but I could be mistaken.

If anyone wants a 5er, let me know, as I will be buying a box and would be willing to sell off 10-15, depending on how well I like them.

As far as the "fees" go, when I ordered mine the total came out to be 142.29, they came in a flat rate($9.30) box, and the rest was taxes. I was told in the PM it would be $126, but to be fair I assumed there would be shipping charges.

Gentlemen,
To take care of any confusion or feelings of misrepresentation let me break this down for you. We are not trying to hide anything and will happily disclose anything that is asked. The MSRP on a box of Cheroots is $140.00. We have decided to give members of this forum a 10% discount on that so the new price for CP members is $126.00. The fees that I referenced are simply the OTP (other tobacco product) taxes that we must pay which comes to $6.30. Then we add shipping costs of $9.99 which is our standard flat rate box shipping charge to allow for adequate room for packaging and protection. The overall total will be $142.29 as someone referenced earlier. I hope this clears everything up. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying some great sticks.

Dave

Having smoked a few of these... essentially, if you like the LDF Double Ligero line in terms of strength, you will enjoy these cigars. They are small Clint Eastwood-style smokes, but they are full bodied.

I got a box of these. Dave was upfront about the price and and tax in our phone conversation...No gripes from me.

These are some tasty little cigars.

Ladies and Gents,
I wanted to give everyone a heads up on an incoming shipment of the La Flor Dominicana Cheroot. This is a powerhouse of a cigar and is the cigar that Litto Gomez will hand you in person. In other words, this cigar is Litto's personal blend that our owner was able to negotiate a limited run of these. THey are only availabe at Empire Cigars in Raleigh, NC (919)870-0081. These shipments generally do not last long and I would prefer that they go to lovers of the leaf like those on this forum. I believe the owner may even be giving a discount to forum members that purchase a box but I will have to double check. I will have more info in the near future but you may want to message me of call the shop to reserve your box now.

Yes, Yes, and see my previous post. Don't know why you would think I am lying about this, that is not my style, you just haven't gotten to know me yet. I discuss everything with the owner, although I don't need his permission to make sales, that is my job. I guess you have reason to be skeptical, hopefully this answered all questions.

It's not so much that anybody things you're lying, but that when "fees" are mentioned but not explained people get skeptical.

Ladies and Gents,

Yes, Yes, and see my previous post. Don't know why you would think I am lying about this, that is not my style, you just haven't gotten to know me yet. I discuss everything with the owner, although I don't need his permission to make sales, that is my job. I guess you have reason to be skeptical, hopefully this answered all questions.

That's Gary's job here, to be skeptical. He took it upon himself to be the guardian of the BST and Retailers forums. He does a damn good job of it and we appreciate it. It wouldn't have been the first time a store employee sold cigars to us without the permission of his employer and pocketing "Fees". As a comedian however, he'll always be second banana.

Doc.

Understood fellas and thanks Gary for watching out for the other brothers here. I will refrain from using "fees" in any future sales, I just didn't know that everyone would know what OTP was. Thanks guys.

Skeptical because someone in the linky I posted siad you 'traded' with them. There's a tough balance between BOTL and retailer....some don't do it well, others with flare!!!

Unsure of the store (as the only source) as I was 'mis'-informed about a store that may have had them...I apologies for that.

Thanks for clearing up the costs.

Doc....this ones for you! LINKY ;)

Understood fellas and thanks Gary for watching out for the other brothers here. I will refrain from using "fees" in any future sales, I just didn't know that everyone would know what OTP was. Thanks guys.

eh... just say the price is XX plus tax & shipping... most people have no idea they pay OTP anyway, I'd just roll it into the price. And tell Litto to make a hybrid Cheroot Lancero! :D

Something I don't get is that the Cheroots aren't really cheroots:

cheroot | sh əˈroōt| - noun - a cigar with both ends open and untapered. ORIGIN late 17th cent.: from French cheroute, from Tamil curuṭṭu ‘roll of tobacco.’

The Cheroot or Stogie is a cylindrical cigar with both ends clipped during manufacture. Since cheroots do not taper, they are inexpensive to roll mechanically, and their low cost makes them particularly popular. Typically, stogies have a length of 3.5 to 6.5 inches, and a ring gauge of 34 to 37. (Ring gauge is a measure of diameter, scaled in 64ths of an inch. A stogie is slightly over 1/2" in diameter.)

The word cheroot comes from French cheroute, from Tamil curuttu/churuttu/shuruttu - roll of tobacco. This word could have been absorbed into the French language from Tamil during the early 16th century, when the French were trying to stamp their presence in South India. The word could have then been absorbed into English from French.[1]

The Asian Connection

Cheroots are traditional in myanmar and India, consequently, popular among the British during the days of the British Empire. They are often associated with Burma in literature:

'Er petticoat was yaller an' 'er little cap was green,
An' 'er name was Supi-yaw-lat -- jes' the same as Theebaw's Queen,
An' I seed her first a-smokin' of a whackin' white cheroot,
An' a-wastin' Christian kisses on an 'eathen idol's foot:

—Rudyard Kipling, (1892) "On the Road to Mandalay," from Barrack-room Ballads

"My brother was unlike us in some things, Sahib. He was fond of the sharab called 'Whisky' and of dogs; he drank smoke from the cheroot after the fashion of the Sahib-log and not from the hookah nor the bidi; he wore boots; he struck with the clenched fist when angered; and never did he squat down upon his heels nor sit cross-legged upon the ground. Yet he was true Pathan in many ways during his life, and he died as a Pathan should, concerning his honour (and a woman). Yea—and in his last fight, ere he was hanged, he killed more men with his long Khyber knife, single-handed against a mob, than ever did lone man before with cold steel in fair fight."
—Captain Percival Christopher Wren, I.A.R., 1912, Driftwood Spars

Apparently, Cheroot smoking was also associated with resistance against tropical disease in India. Verrier Elwin wrote in his 1957 forward to Leaves from the Jungle: Life in a Gond Village:

"A final thing strikes me as I re-read the pages of the Diary that follows is that I seem to have spent much of my time falling ill. I attribute this to the fact that in those days I was a non-smoker. Since I took to the cheroot, I have not had a single attack of malaria, and my health improved enormously in later years."
— (Leaves from the Jungle: Life in a Gond Village, OUP 1992, p.xxix)

A reader will note that malaria was most often contracted by mosquito bites and most likely the cheroot's aroma, by sticking to the skin and hiding the sweat's scent, which draws mosquitoes, contributed to make the smoker less of a target for their bites.

Yeah, it's definitely more of a torpedo, though both ends are open. Interesting point there about the scent keeping mosquitos away, I'll have to remember that if I'm ever in the jungle :thumbs:.