• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighter-Butane...what's the best

JBL11183

Lurker
I just ran out of my Xikar butane amd its time for me to stock up again. I was just wondering is the a difference between brands? If so wheat make one better than the other? Then the obvious what is the best. I would say 75% of my lighters are high end and I'm a car toy junkie and I figure I spend all this cash on lighters, if there is w specific fuel that is going to make my fighters perform better or last longer, I wanna go with it. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Jonathan

My favorites are Xikar & Vector, stick to the most refine & filtered.
The lighters will burn cleaner and it won't clog up.

Xikar will question you about using Xikar gas if you need warranty work.  Just say'n!

MOBIG said:
My favorites are Xikar & Vector, stick to the most refine & filtered.
The lighters will burn cleaner and it won't clog up.
X2

I've had my S.T. Dupont for years and it's never let me down. Love them.

I've used this stuff for years, works perfectly.  I bought a 12 unit box and it's probably going to outlive me..... ;)

Edit - Just noticed they are out of stock.....might Google for it.

BlindedByScience said:
I've used this stuff for years, works perfectly.  I bought a 12 unit box and it's probably going to outlive me..... ;)

Edit - Just noticed they are out of stock.....might Google for it.
Tom, I'm glad this is good stuff because I just bought a can. They were out of the one I normally use.

Xikar has been my brand of choice...no issues in any of my fire makers.

Good butane is essential.  Probably worth mentioning that if you purge your lighters before filling, and take a little canned air to the jets once in a while, they'll work much better, much longer.

^^^ X2 What Tom said.

I've always used Vector except for the last time I needed a bottle they were waiting on a new shipment of it, so I bought a smaller bottle of Xikar. In my opinion they aren't even close. If you can find I'd say Vector all the way.

I'm an idiot, just realized this was asking about butane and not the lighter itself.  Sorry.  I'm guilty of not paying much attention to my butane, and simply buying Zippo brand.  I can't say I've had any issues with it though.

wkoti said:
^^^ X2 What Tom said.

I've always used Vector except for the last time I needed a bottle they were waiting on a new shipment of it, so I bought a smaller bottle of Xikar. In my opinion they aren't even close. If you can find I'd say Vector all the way.

How can you tell? I have two cans of different brands that I use alternatingly so I'm curious if (and why) I should stick to my Vector. Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been using xikar and zippo and never had any issues, but I just picked up a bunch of new lighters and needed to "re-up" on fuel, so I figured I'd get some opinions and I'm glad I did. Thanks again!!!

Jonathan

Vector butane here. This is what all the meth chronics here buy and since they use their lighters much more than I do, figure they must know something.  ;)

sar127 said:
^^^ X2 What Tom said.

How can you tell? I have two cans of different brands that I use alternatingly so I'm curious if (and why) I should stick to my Vector. Thanks
This is just my opinion, and it's hard to explain without sounding ludicrous. But I notice less of a odor from the Vector and I find the tank empties more completely with the Vector. What I mean by that is I have less wasted gas still left in the tank when I purge. It may have nothing to do with the gas, but it seems to me when my tank runs out when I'm using the Vector, less gas is left in the tank that I can't get to ignite. Maybe it's the purity of the Vector, maybe every fill has different results, maybe I'm on too many pain meds.

Out of curiosity, what kind of butane do you Blazer Torch guys use?  I bought a Blazer last fall and love it.  The only problem is that the tips on the cans of butane that I own don't mate well with the fill valve on the torch and it always makes a mess when I go to refill.  I've even tried using a can of Blazer branded butane but the tips that came with it don't work either.

MrAnderson41 said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of butane do you Blazer Torch guys use?  I bought a Blazer last fall and love it.  The only problem is that the tips on the cans of butane that I own don't mate well with the fill valve on the torch and it always makes a mess when I go to refill.  I've even tried using a can of Blazer branded butane but the tips that came with it don't work either.

I haven't had a problem with this in quite a while.  I support the hand holding the lighter on the edge of a counter or table.  My two go-to lighters stick out the bottom of my hand and the button is on the top so resting the edge of my hand on something is the only option.  I used to just hold the lighter in the air.  I make sure the nozzle is inserted into the center of the valve.  Finally I press down firmly and make sure I continue to hold the can perpendicular to the direction of pressure so the nozzle doesn't tip any.  The idea is to keep the mating surface of the nozzle parallel to the mating surface of the valve.  I hope this helps.

LarryH said:

I haven't had a problem with this in quite a while.  I support the hand holding the lighter on the edge of a counter or table.  My two go-to lighters stick out the bottom of my hand and the button is on the top so resting the edge of my hand on something is the only option.  I used to just hold the lighter in the air.  I make sure the nozzle is inserted into the center of the valve.  Finally I press down firmly and make sure I continue to hold the can perpendicular to the direction of pressure so the nozzle doesn't tip any.  The idea is to keep the mating surface of the nozzle parallel to the mating surface of the valve.  I hope this helps.
and you're able to do this with a Blazer torch?  I have other lighters and have no problem filling them but the Blazer is a bi*&h