• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighters

PhatAsh

The Bionic Poster
Hey gang,
I am tired of using matches and I want a quality lighter. Have been thinking about one for about two years but always decide to put it off. Well, recently I was at an event at my local shop and the tobacco rep had one of those turbo lighters that looks like a lightsaber and the thing lit my gar with speed and elegance. And I am begining to believe that the burn is greatly effected by the initial light. Sorry if that is blatenly obvious but it is just an observation I have been thinking about.

Anyway please provide any feedback that may lead to making my decision easier. Keep in mind that I don't want to spend more than $40-$50.

Thanks
Phatty

I'm of the opinion that initial light has very little to do with the quality of your burn.
I use Zippos 'cause I like collecting them and if I lose them, I don't lose my mind since I pick up most of my Zippos used in antique shops for around $5.

I have a butane lighter that has given me nothing but trouble.

Check out this link as this was just discussed last week.

But, I'm way in the minority on this one so..........

I have a cheap ($15) triple-flame torch I got at my local shop. It lights things. That's the part that matters, right?

It uses a lot of butane (refilled once a week or so), but since it's cheap, I can use the cheap butane. Plus, it just looks cool.

Thanks Gang!!!

CC, Your probably right the light probably does not effect burn. Thanks for the Zippo info (from last weeks discussion). I have two nice Zippos, one from my grandfather and one that I bought during my rebellious teen days when I smoked cigarettes.

I really would like to use the one from my grandfather but I was also affraid of the taste factor from the lighter fluid. I will give it a try and let you know.

I would like to follow up on CC's post with the fact that I lit my ISOM Hoyo De Monteray Epicure #2 with a bic last night :0 and I didnt taste ONE bit of a difference.

So I am begining to wonder what all the fuss is about. BTW THANKS CC!! YOU DA MAN! ;)

Also promethius has some lighters for 45 bucks that I have heard work pretty good. But every torch lighter I have ever had burnt out on me rather quickly.

Phil

Phil said:
Also promethius has some lighters for 45 bucks that I have heard work pretty good. But every torch lighter I have ever had burnt out on me rather quickly.
Another reason I like my $15 lighter so much. Who cares if it burns out quick? Better than paying $50 for one that will burn out just as fast!!

Shuji said:
Phil said:
Another reason I like my $15 lighter so much. Who cares if it burns out quick? Better than paying $50 for one that will burn out just as fast!!
I hear U. i think I am gonna one up that and go buy some bics for a buck a piece and start flickin my bic!!!

phil

Phil said:
I would like to follow up on CC's post with the fact that I lit my ISOM Hoyo De Monteray Epicure #2 with a bic last night :0 and I didnt taste ONE bit of a difference.
Hey Phil, Bic's use butane :D There is indeed much controversy over the use of zippos. It seems many believe they impart a gasoline-like taint to the smoke. I've never tried it myself. Some say you can let the zippo burn for a few seconds before lighting your stick and that eliminates the problem. All I know is my Blazer works great and you can get them for $30-$40.

GET A BLAZER!

Santa gave me nubu or nibo or whatever the hell it is that works great.

Well, I blazed on of my favorite Don Thomas Cameroon Collection this afternoon with Grandpa's Zippo. No bad taste, no extra smell, and I got a nice even light!!!!

Thanks everyone. I will probably still full with some lighters but I have to say I like the Zippo!

:D OK, OK! Lucasbuck who makes the BLAZER and will most shops have them? :D

Bought a Colibiri talon last week. Fun little lighter gets noticed when used

Venerable Zippo still works wonders ( let burn for a second before lighting to clear any would be vapors )

Usually can find matches around me too.

Blazer is a great alternative for those who don't want to spend allot on a lighter. They work well on the golf course in the wind also, which is a necessity!

I personally have 6 or 7 lighters. The one I go to the most is the Dupont Extend. I love that lighter and it works, every time. The down side is that it shows the wear with the tiny scratches and such.

Hope this helps! :D

Like most here I have several, Blazer is the most dependable. That said I'm having good luck with a Vector from barginhumidor.com. Very nice looking torch and it lights everytime so far. (about 35 days) If you go to BH to look, stay away from the Solo lighters as I just sent 2 back. :0

i would recommend the extend myself.

i want a jillion lighters. but i can't have em all, so i have aroudn 10.
a couple torches, a couple regular butane, and a few zippos. and a minature thing that almost looks like a zippo, but it's tiny.

dupont x-tend!

and the nibo dupont vip series isn't all that bad. not the original, but hey, it still works, even tho it's made out of aluminum or something that breaks easier than the dupont.

if i could get a whole tray of bic lighters for like 10 bucks, i'd buy it.
i've bought so many lighters and lost a lot of em already, it's freakin crazy.

I got a colibri firebird for ~$12 on cbid a couple weeks ago, works great AND it's shiny. You can't beat shiny with a stick. Otherwise, anything except those oversize lighter stick things for grills and whatnot. The juice they put in those will wreck a smoke. Trust me.