• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighters

Well I just recived my 1st cigar lighter from my future sister inlaw, havent really had time to use it yet. It is a Collibra ? nice looking lighter altho not crazy about such a large fuel adjustment knob, but hey its the thought that counts.
Before that I used Bic/Cricket/The other guy's, what ever was handy.
So be it a Dog Rocket or a Cubano, if it's given it will be lit ;)

Oh ya she also gave me a nice box of Ashton Monarchs :D

lucasbuck said:
Hey Phil, Bic's use butane :D There is indeed much controversy over the use of zippos. It seems many believe they impart a gasoline-like taint to the smoke. I've never tried it myself.
I've lit cigars with everything under the sun. It is true that you can taste the fuel from a zippo or other such lighter. Especially if you spent a good chunk of change on a cigar, don't muck it up with gas fumes -- use a butane, or use cedar matches or such.

Certainly, in a pinch, anything will do -- but hold the cigar away from the flame regardless of what fuego you use, to keep any unwanted fumes away from it.

I have a Colibri lighter that's served me quite well -- only $35 or so, and you'll own it for life.

http://store.yahoo.com/executiveengravable...anretiipol.html

The only annoying part is running out of butane when you need it. In that case, grab some matches or something. :)

I have tried many lighters (but not yet the DuPont Xtend). The Blazer is Japanese and the quality is undeniable, but I have problems with the newest version. Take a look at my thread in the Lobby to see what the problem is - primarily the crappy finish. I will not buy another Colibri for as long as I live. I have purchased half a dozen of them over the years, and none has functioned for more than 60 days. I love Zippo, but they are not an option for cigar smoking - tried it, don't like it.

Take care, Bacchus

Colibri makes some great inexpensive lighters! Give on of those a look and try! :D

Good lighters are a great "show off" if you are in a place that somebody would notice them. After losing god know how many lighters over the years I buy a box of 50 butanes on ebay for about $12-13 delivered and not worry about it for a year or two. This lets me keep lighters in the car, at work, in jackets, around the house and have one available almost anywhere. I'd buy a good cutter before a good light. JMHO.

Good inexpensive lighters at www.vectorkgm.com. Dependable and good variety at the 19.95 price point.

BenjieV ;)

Thompson running a lot of ads for various lighters most 2 for 24.95

By the way the Colibri Quantum lighter I received for xmas sucks have to keep it turned up full to get it to ignite ........ not impressed was a $30+ lighter
my .59 special I picked up at checkout works fine

My local shop was running their end-of-the-year specials with certain lighters at 50% off. I picked up a Colibri Ambience and another similar to it (but with larger fuel knobs) for $30. They work GREAT. No need for a $100+ lighter. Shoot, each one was barely $15. :)

I just won a couple Colibris on Cbid for $9 and $11 respectively. Can't argue with that!

Anyways my Nibu from Santa is still working great! Goes through the butane like nothing else though!

Well I gotta put my 2 cents in this one. 4 years ago I bought a Prometheus. Yes I was nuts and spent $95 but I love it. However it is just now starting to leak and either not light for a while or keep lighting and not go out until you put the lid down. I called them and they will repair it. Now I don't know what it will cost to repair and can't decide whether to repair or get a Blazer??????? or ??????

I have done zippos I don't care for the smell as I light up so they are out for me. Have done matches but don't light as well as I would like to. Did the cedar, nice touch, but not necessary IMHO. The Prometheus is a torch lighter also has a cutter in it that is great.

DT

The Prometheus is a torch lighter also has a cutter in it that is great

I REALLY like that one. Just couldn't bring myself to buy it. As it turned out, the boss got us all a Prometheus for Christmas. Not tht one, but a nice slender one. My first torch and I love it. Only complaint if if you try to light too quick, it won't light. Almost like to much pressure even though I have turned it down some.

BACCHUS said:
I have tried many lighters (but not yet the DuPont Xtend). The Blazer is Japanese and the quality is undeniable, but I have problems with the newest version. Take a look at my thread in the Lobby to see what the problem is - primarily the crappy finish. I will not buy another Colibri for as long as I live. I have purchased half a dozen of them over the years, and none has functioned for more than 60 days. I love Zippo, but they are not an option for cigar smoking - tried it, don't like it.

Take care, Bacchus
Send me you junk Colibris :D I have a Vortex and it works great. A friend bought one and it went bad. He gave it to me and I got it to work :D

I've got a Colibri i've been using for over 5 years now, never had a problem with it ..........and it looks great. :)
Look on Cbid or e-bay chances are you'll find a nice butane torch for a descent price.

I have owned several Colibri's, Blazers, a Volcano (anyone remember them?), and "the original" pocket torch.

Of the premium brands the Blazer was the durable and best performing. I have managed to break Colibri lighters by screwing up the fragile platinum coil by getting a good cigar buzz and a better scotch buzz going. Dexterity isn't that great and I end up jamming the foot of a stogie into the ligther and breaking off the coil. Although I didn't manage to break the others, I have lost more lighters than I care to think about.

I recently started using NiBo lighters. They are the "brand name" that the bulk pack $3 lighters on eBay are knocking off (the ones that sell 10 for $27). The knock offs work well, but the originals seem to work a bit better. The cheapest location I have found recently for them is here.. The great thing about this vendor is they charge next to nothing for shipping. (I ordered 4 ligthers and a key chain and was charged $1 shipping). I have seen this exact lighter at online smoke shops advertised for $40. Thompson's has it 2fer $25 right now. Personally I would rather have a $7 lighter and $70 of stogies than spend the extra money on another Blazer or Colibri. Yes the others may get more attention I suppose; but if attention is your goal you can get one of those middle finger lighters that says the F word for $3 on eBay. :D

I can't say $70 Colibri and Blazer lighters aren't appealing to me as I have purchased many of them. But they do get lost and broken, and they don't make the crappy cigars you had to buy to afford the lighter taste any better..

I am now trying to find a shop that has the NiBo VIP lighters in the $10 range as well. If you haven't seen them they are a dead ringer for the ST Dupont Ligne 2 for $700+ less. Cheapest I have found thus far is $17, but a bit more time on TeOma and Google and I am sure I will turn one up. If you haven't seen NiBo's web site its is at http://www.nibogroup.com

Matt

I like the colibri elite series rollbar flint butane lighter with the twin flame. i have picked them up on ebay for $25. Retail price is about 60. Colibri torch lighters seem to have problems after a while but the flame lighters tend to hold up better. They have a punch built into the bottom too.

I still like my Zippos :thumbs:

Ooooops, I think I already said that once but what the heck, I'll say it again

ZIPPO

According to some, the Zippo can inpart a bit of flavor to your cigar. However most also agree taking an extra step when using a Zippo will rid the cigar of the flavor. When I used to use a Zippo to light my stogies I would make one quick blow OUT the cigar of air from my mouth (not CO2 from lungs, but O2 from mouth) and then lett it burn a bit before taking my first draw. The extra oxygen lets the cigar burn similar to having air drawn through and gets rid of any noticable lighter fluid flavor.

I stopped using Zippos when I stopped being a frequent cigar smoker though. My Zippo inevitably needs to be filled EVERY time I smoke when I only get to smoke a few times a month.

If I was the type of smoker who got to smoke a stick or two a day, a Zippo would probably be more appealing to me.

Matt

there is a zippo type butane lighter called the thunderbird, i believe. The insides of it can be put in a zippo housing iirc.

This may be a remedy for those who like their zippos but not the fuel taste it gives the cigars.