• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lightweight Smoker

dannymer1974

Question:

This may be an extremely obvious fact of smoking, but can someone confirm this:

Does a larger ring size pack a larger punch of strength? For example, will a 54" ring guage cigar provide more nicotine per puff than a 40" ring cigar? It seems obvious that it would, and might be an answer to smoking a bigger variety of cigars rather than always sticking to mild bodied cigars. However, I have not seen this discussed extensively and a search did not yield specific results.

I am a lightweight smoker unfortunately, and cant stand the nic buzz that some cigars tend to give me. Granted, I am a newer smoker and it might just take some time to get used to it. But, in the meanwhile I am trying to find cigars in blends and sizes that will minimize my buzz while maximizing experience and flavors/aromas.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

The bigger cigars obviously have more tobacco in them, so you'll absorb more nicotine as you smoke it. I think that'd be the only difference for two of same blends but in different sizes.

The smaller ring gauge cigars seems to have to more intense flavor and strength, though. Larger cigars tend to smoke cooler while small ring gauges can burn hot if you smoke 'em too quick, in my experience.

Only one way to know for yourself, though. ;)

The bigger cigars obviously have more tobacco in them, so you'll absorb more nicotine as you smoke it. I think that'd be the only difference for two of same blends but in different sizes.

The smaller ring gauge cigars seems to have to more intense flavor and strength, though. Larger cigars tend to smoke cooler while small ring gauges can burn hot if you smoke 'em too quick, in my experience.

X2

Just remember that Full Strength and Full Flavor are 2 different things. I point you to the CAO Brizilla. Loads of super deep flavor, light on the nic.

I enjoy the larger ring cigars, 50-56, myself. I guess I just like having big things in my mouth....insert joke here...

Tim

Also take into account the type of tobacco.

X2

Just remember that Full Strength and Full Flavor are 2 different things. I point you to the CAO Brizilla. Loads of super deep flavor, light on the nic.

I enjoy the larger ring cigars, 50-56, myself. I guess I just like having big things in my mouth....insert joke here...

Tim

Light on the Nic? I would disagree, these have knocked me out a couple times. Great cigar though. Maybe I'm just weak?

Thanks for the responses so far everyone. I am really aware of the differences between full bodied and full flavored. In fact, that is why I am seeking to learn as much as possible. For whatever reason, my body reacts strongly to the nic in the Cigars and gives me an undesirable feeling. However, the tastes and flavors of cigars keep me wanting to experiment more and find those perfect cigars for me.

What other thoughts are out there?

By the way, from my previous readings the CAO Brazilia pack quite a nic kick. I have a couple in the humi waiting for when I become a little more tolerant/experience with the fuller bodied cigars.

I don't think this is a question that can be answered. Some cigars will affect you this way and some won't. I've smoked many strong nic cigars and not had any ill effects. However, Fuente products always make me seem to want to hurl. It's something you're going to have to determine whether you're willing to experiment with.

Just make sure you smoke on a full stomach to give you the best fighting chance. Also, try stronger vitolas in a smaller size such as PC's or tres PC's as while they'll pack more of a flavor punch, they seem to have less nic.

I've read on here that sugar will help quell the nicotine kick quickly, too.

I've read on here that sugar will help quell the nicotine kick quickly, too.

It works like a charm for me. If you're worried about the nicotine, maybe smoke with a sugary drink- sweetened ice tea, coke, ect. might do the trick w/o having to eat anything.

'I've read on here that sugar will help quell the nicotine kick quickly, too. '

I have read and experienced this as well. It would seem that quickly raising one's blood sugar quells the nausea/dizziness associated with ingesting more nicotine than one's tolerance can comfortably handle.

With regard to the nicotine effects of various cigars as it relates to ring gage, there are so many other variables to consider that I question whether it can be simplified to just this one variable. Type of tobacco, age of tobacco, storage conditions the cigar has been exposed to, individual body chemistry, prior cigars smoked on the day in question, and so on all contribute to how the nicotine in a cigar will effect the smoker. Just my .02 FWIW

I don't think this is a question that can be answered. Some cigars will affect you this way and some won't. I've smoked many strong nic cigars and not had any ill effects. However, Fuente products always make me seem to want to hurl. It's something you're going to have to determine whether you're willing to experiment with.

Just make sure you smoke on a full stomach to give you the best fighting chance. Also, try stronger vitolas in a smaller size such as PC's or tres PC's as while they'll pack more of a flavor punch, they seem to have less nic.

Anyone who has smoked the Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles knows that there is an exception to every rule... This little cigar is STRONG! :whistling:

mac

2 kit-kats and a round of Rum and Cokes at the local Strip Club make me feel better.

Anyone else?

Tim

Anyone who has smoked the Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles knows that there is an exception to every rule... This little cigar is STRONG! :whistling:

mac

Same with the Bolivar Tres Petit Corona.

IMO, it depends mostly on the blend of tobacco used, and not size.

Cigars with more ligero (leaves from the top of the plant, which have gotten more sun, and are therefore stronger tasting and higher in nicotine content) will pack more of a punch than those with less ligero and more Seco (middle of the plant) and Volado (bottom of the plant). I suppose that whether or not the wrapper is shade-grown can make a difference as well.

Diamond Crowns, for instance, are quite large, and mild yet flavorful.

With regard to the nicotine effects of various cigars as it relates to ring gage, there are so many other variables to consider that I question whether it can be simplified to just this one variable
True, but compare two of the same blend, just in different sizes. The larger cigar will have more tobacco, be a longer smoke and you'll get more nicotine. You're right that the idea can't be carried across brands and blends, though.

2 kit-kats and a round of Rum and Cokes at the local Strip Club make me feel better.
Wow, Baghdad's improved since I was there... you've got Kit-Kats now??

True, but compare two of the same blend, just in different sizes. The larger cigar will have more tobacco, be a longer smoke and you'll get more nicotine. You're right that the idea can't be carried across brands and blends, though.

Thanks JHolmes, this is exactly what I was trying to get at.

Still, I appreciate all of the responses.

No argument there. But mild blends are mild blends, and strong ones are strong.

I doubt (but could be wrong) that a CT-wrapped Double Chateau Fuente is going to give someone a more appreciable buzz than its shorter Chateau Fuente sibling - unless you're inhaling. A bit more nicotine, yes, but over a longer period.

On the other hand, those short, skinny Fuente Cubanitos are little nicotine bombs as I recall. I bet a Churchill sized one of those would make even a seasoned smoker woozy.

Just remember, nicotine is a consequence of the priming (or when and where on the tobacco plant a leaf was picked) and the processing. The primary function of fermentation is to convert nicotine into other compounds. IIRC, unfermented leaves have anywhere from 5-10 times the nicotine of a fermented (ready for rolling) leaf.

So, as far as variables that affect the nic kick, you have at least:

Product factors
1. leaf (milder at the bottom of the plant, stronger at the top, more sun = stronger)
2. extent of fermentation (more intense fermentation, less residual nicotine)
3. blending of milder and stronger (as far as nicotine) leaves in the bunch

Smoker factors
1. tolerance (experience and innate physiology)
2. food or drink consumed with or prior to smoking (sugar helps to quell the queasies)
3. smoking rate (huff and die)

Wilkey