• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Local B&M having a minimum purchase to use lounge?

Flushnutz

So I recently moved to Baltimore and have went to an local B&M around the corner maybe 5 or 6 times in the past two months. Today I went in an picked up Rocky Patel 1961 as I have yet to try one. When I went to the counter to pay. (Price was 9.99) I was informed that there was a 15.00 Minimum to use the lounge. Needless to say I told him to keep the cigar and I left. This is the first time I have every experienced this. Does anyone else have B&Ms with similar policies?

Edit for typo.

The place I used to frequent had a $10 minimum go use the lounge. Not only did that turn me away, but their outrageous price gouging. Can you say $70 for an Opus X A coffin. I now go down the road that has a much nicer humidor and better selection. Not go mention they are consistantly at or slightly above MSRP.

Edited for spelling.

Im sorry I look at it this way. When I got to McDonald's they dont charge me a minimum to eat there. Neither should B&M's. If you bought their smokes then they should allow you to stay and smoke it on scene if they have a lounge....

There are two in my town. One is a member club and the other is simply a shop with some tables and chairs inside and outside.

The guy that owns the member club has the biggest selection and the higest prices. He charges $10.00 cover if you are not a member on top of his gouging.

The other shop is awesome. They are right at msrp plus the dreaded Ca. tax. No charge to sit and converse and enjoy your smoke. In fact every Friday night they serve some type of food from chilidogs to steak.
We watch old war movies too.

Out of the two shops I hear the member club is struggling.
Something to be said about being real and down to earth.

Im sorry I look at it this way. When I got to McDonald's they dont charge me a minimum to eat there. Neither should B&M's. If you bought there smoke then they should allow you to stay and smoke it on scene if they have a lounge....

I agree that is why I walked out.

I don't agree with the business model, but I wouldn't let it deter me if that's where I wanted to smoke. Cigars usually run around $10 for me, anyhow, so I'd just tack on another $5-7 cigar that I'll smoke later. Not a big deal.

If there were other stores that didn't do this and were more welcoming in general, I'd support them, though.

-John

I don't agree with the business model, but I wouldn't let it deter me if that's where I wanted to smoke. Cigars usually run around $10 for me, anyhow, so I'd just tack on another $5-7 cigar that I'll smoke later. Not a big deal.

If there were other stores that didn't do this and were more welcoming in general, I'd support them, though.

-John

There is another shop about 15 mins from me that I like better, so they will be getting al my business from now on. This shop was just closer and carried a few brands that the other didn't, but for me its really the principle of it.

There are two lounges that I have been to that are local to me. One of them has a membership fee, but has a much larger selection, and slightly lower prices. If you are not a member there you are charged a $10 fee to use the lounge whether or not you purchase from the humidor or bring your own stick. The other is a non-membership establishment that has higher prices (since there is no membership). If you go into the non-member establishment and want to smoke your own stick (not purchased from him) you have a couple options, buy something from his humidor (even if it's only a $5 stick), pay $10 and buy 1 beer (or glass of wine), or pay $20 to use the establishment for the smoke.

I don't agree with the minimum purchase to use the lounge, but the B&M's need to make their money somehow...

I understand what they're trying to do, in principle, trying to make sure people are buying from them if they're using their resources. It makes sense since people can easily shop for the lowest prices on cigars online and out of state and then take them to the local lounge and smoke them there. However, IMHO, you should just have to make a purchase to use their lounge, $15 min is a bit much since a person may just want to buy a cigar and sit down and smoke it and not have to take another home with them. A simple, you must make a purchase here to use the lounge would work better, but it's not my business, so to each his own.

Do they allow smoking at all?

Some shops had to go to a pay model due to state laws....others are just trying to make a buck.

Do they allow smoking at all?

Some shops had to go to a pay model due to state laws....others are just trying to make a buck.

Yep. I have smoked there 5 or 6 times. Today I was just informed of that they had the policy and were starting to enforce it. I always purchased at least one cigar when I go in.

There are two in my town. One is a member club and the other is simply a shop with some tables and chairs inside and outside.

The guy that owns the member club has the biggest selection and the higest prices. He charges $10.00 cover if you are not a member on top of his gouging.

The other shop is awesome. They are right at msrp plus the dreaded Ca. tax. No charge to sit and converse and enjoy your smoke. In fact every Friday night they serve some type of food from chilidogs to steak.

I know the member club you speak of but where is the other one?

There are two lounges that I have been to that are local to me. One of them has a membership fee, but has a much larger selection, and slightly lower prices. If you are not a member there you are charged a $10 fee to use the lounge whether or not you purchase from the humidor or bring your own stick.
A B&M nearby me works like this. It was my first time ever seeing that so I thought it was a little strange at first. I didn't mind, though. I always end up buying a few stogies when I go to a B&M anyway, and usually my purchase is at least $20. I didn't let it keep me away because the lounge is cozy, the staff is very friendly and welcoming, and they don't price gouge.

Its a slippery slope when it comes to a good B&M, honestly sometimes you have to have some sort of limit to keep up the quality in your store.

For example, a local shop i used to frequent started out with a open lounge in a busy part of town, great selection pretty close to msrp, but it was in a busy part of town with multiple restaurants close to it.
What ended up happening was multiple employees of the restaurants would use the lounge of the store for there break time cigarette. It really got out of hand as the paying customers didn't like what it turned into.
Eventually he added a minimum purchase/fee to use the lounge.

So to be honest as long as the prices aren't too out of hand i truly don't mind a minimum not like i needed another excuse to buy more cigars.

I know the member club you speak of but where is the other one
Come to the herf on March 5th and find out!

I understand what they're trying to do, in principle, trying to make sure people are buying from them if they're using their resources. It makes sense since people can easily shop for the lowest prices on cigars online and out of state and then take them to the local lounge and smoke them there. However, IMHO, you should just have to make a purchase to use their lounge, $15 min is a bit much since a person may just want to buy a cigar and sit down and smoke it and not have to take another home with them. A simple, you must make a purchase here to use the lounge would work better, but it's not my business, so to each his own.

If I had a shop, thats how I would do it. No "sitting fee" but you do have to purchase something and support the business before sitting down to smoke. A couple of years ago, I went to a shop in San Marcos, CA that had a policy that you could only smoke the cigar you bought in the store. I asked what if I buy a cigar from them but smoke one that I brought in. I was told no dice..have to smoke the one I bought. I didnt quite understand the logic.

X 1000! Olde Towne is the greatest!

The local in our town is a membership place to use the lounge. We are in a college town and this is in place to keep the stereotypical college kid from hanging out too long. They have a good selection and reasonable prices. They will let you stand around the shop and talk while smoking your cigar without a fee. The minimum purchase or "buy one from us" ideas I like, as opposed to annual dues.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' date='16 February 2010 - 03:42 AM' timestamp='1266320571' post='946771']
...and this is in place to keep the stereotypical college kid from hanging out too long.[/quote]

You mean like Robbie? :0

A minimum would turn me off, but I think it's common courtesy that you should have to buy something each and every time you go into your local to have a smoke.

Sometimes I bring smokes with me that I can't find at my local, but I make sure the first thing I do is go in the humi and pick out a couple of smokes to buy before lighting up my own.
While these guys might become our friends they still need to make a living and need your support.

My local had to finally say something to a guy that decided he only smoked Cuban cigars. After three months of using the lounge and not buying so much as a twenty cent cup of coffee, the owner finally said something politely..........The guy has not been back since.