• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Long term storage in an airtight container?

JHolmes763

Drinkin' the koolaid
I'm facing a 12 to 15 month deployment coming up and will be leaving some sticks back here with the wife. If I get a larger airtight container like those "click 'n lock" things (kind like >this<) and a good amount of 60-65% beads, how long will the humidity last?

Anyone think this is a good or bad idea? My thoughts are to have something that my wife will rarely have to open up to take care of.

Thank you for any thoughts. :)

---John Holmes...

Heck, my coolidors go about 3 mos w/o having to pit water in the beads. I've got under a lb of beads in each one. It's a good sized cooler, too. It's the Ice Cube that Wal-Mart sells.

If it's air tight (gasketed) and nice and thick-walled, they just might be ok. These are Lock-&-Locks and they're some of the best out there. I'd still be inclined to check them every 3 months or so just to be sure. If you want no-touch time capsule storage for that entire duration, I'd look into the gasketed stainless steel or glass containers like those sold at kitchen stores.

Wilkey

I know with both of my humidors and my coolador I could probably go a year and only open them a few times if I really needed to. Everything has a good seal to it and I went overboard on the amount of beads I used, I haven't added water in at least 6 months and my hygrometers all sit around 63%-64%.

It will have alot to do with the environment. I know with where I am I could leave a cigar out of my humidor on a self for a couple weeks and I could go light it and it wouldn't be ruined.

Just make sure you leave some basic instructions, something along the lines of "once a month look at this (the hygrometer) if the number is below x spray the beads with this water x number of times. If the number is below Y ..." Make it as little of a hassle as possible for her

First of all, many thanks for your service!!

I think you may want her to open whatever container you choose every 2 - 4 weeks, not only to check things like humidification out, but, also, to let some fresh air in as well. Opinions vary on this, but I think a bit of "out with the old, in with the new" when it comes to what my smokes are breathing is important.

use what i think you have plenty of access to....an ammo can...i have a .50cal ammo can, i cleaned it and lined it with spanish cedar...beads in there and about 1/2 full....rock solid 65%, and as you know...will take a beating.
Rob

Airtight is a good idea - if you want mushrooms at your cigars. :whistling:

For longtime storage I use 62% at 16 degrees (ceslisus); I open the cabinet weekly for 2-3 minutes to change the air.
For moisturing I use the excellent Yterbium-X in a modified office cabinet (approx. 25*20*70 inch) with cedro ordata inlets. The water contains silver nitrate against growth of bacteria or mold.

May be my description is a bit helpful...

Hey - is there a BOTL that could check them for you....not that the missus couldn't do it...BUT...someone who will know if somehting looks bad might be best?

Safe journey!

Would a Active Humidification system help in this situation?

Would a Active Humidification system help in this situation?

I think it'd be overkill for something like this. I'll go with the Lock-n-Lock containers and once a month, remind her to look in on 'em. :) Should work out fine.

Thank you for the comments, guys.

I'm also about to head out and I've already started the training process for my wife. I have a desktop and a coolidor that I'm gonna teach her how to care for...Hopefully she can grasp the concept of "light misting of the beads"...

Do allow for some air exchange. The thing to stress is not to over saturate the beads. Closing up saturated beads in an air tight container will most likely produce mold.