• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a new smoker

Well, I was secretly hoping you would go pellet. You didn't say, what model is this? Looks ready, I've got a fork and knife in hand.
It’s a Masterbuilt 330B. Gonna give it the maiden voyage tomorrow 😎😎

I'm with Doc build a UDS, I have no desire to ever try anything else. I have a friend with a pit boss, and another with an LP smoker, and both are nice though.

At 225 took my brisket flat 14 hours.
I sure need to get myself a wifi thermometer so I can watch from a distance.

At 225 took my brisket flat 14 hours.
I sure need to get myself a wifi thermometer so I can watch from a distance.
I've been really happy with my maverick, if they've updated to the Bluetooth world, not sure.

I've been really happy with my maverick, if they've updated to the Bluetooth world, not sure.

I want something that will connect to my home wifi, then allow me to view remotely through the cloud so I can leave and not worry about what it's doing.

You did right with the pellet for what you want to do. I have a master built dual fuel and a master built electric 40. Both are vertical. The duel fuel is what I started with and it was a challenge to figure out how to make it work, first with the charcoal and then the LP. When I use that one I primarily do it on LP, but it’s tough to get it to keep from just starting the wood chunks or chips completely on fire.

The mes40 electric I got from my dad when he decided to go pellet with a traeger copycat. What I can tell you is that while the “heat” is a set and forget type of thing, you still have to add chips all the time. So it still requires quite a bit of monitoring. The pellet systems are the best for being able to not babysit it all the time.

You will also want to invest in a good thermometer setup that has remote monitoring if you don’t have one already. It may not necessary but it does help. A instant read thermometer is also a good idea.

You did right with the pellet for what you want to do. I have a master built dual fuel and a master built electric 40. Both are vertical. The duel fuel is what I started with and it was a challenge to figure out how to make it work, first with the charcoal and then the LP. When I use that one I primarily do it on LP, but it’s tough to get it to keep from just starting the wood chunks or chips completely on fire.

The mes40 electric I got from my dad when he decided to go pellet with a traeger copycat. What I can tell you is that while the “heat” is a set and forget type of thing, you still have to add chips all the time. So it still requires quite a bit of monitoring. The pellet systems are the best for being able to not babysit it all the time.

You will also want to invest in a good thermometer setup that has remote monitoring if you don’t have one already. It may not necessary but it does help. A instant read thermometer is also a good idea.
There is a nice remote thermometer I saw at menards the other day that has a Bluetooth readout (to a small device, not your phone). I’ll hav to look into that other concern I had was I put the meat probe right next to the internal probe and there was like a 8-10 degree difference. I’ll have to double check with my instant read thermometer

Correction. The manual said 330B but it listed like 10 other options. I actually have a 140S not a 330B

I have a maverick thermometer. It’s a dual setup so you can monitor meat and inside the smoker. But the mes40 has a built in thermometer and a remote for it and the temperature control. I never really use that one on meat but only the rare occasion I do a lot of stuff.

The maverick wasn’t expensive but I need to get myself an instant read, like a thermopen or thermopop. Maybe I’ll get one if I need to run out for extra chips tomorrow. We are going to smoke a pork butt, I’ll try to take some pics when I do.

I use a dome shaped Weber, charcoal only. Though the electric/LP versions certainly seem tempting for their set and forget design. However, there's just something about charcoal you can't beat. :)

I use a dome shaped Weber, charcoal only. Though the electric/LP versions certainly seem tempting for their set and forget design. However, there's just something about charcoal you can't beat. :)
True story, charcoal will always be my favorite as far as flavor is concerned. I hope to return to it again once I have a bit of experience and a smaller honey-do list. Charcoal and offset are definitely the least forgiving of the bunch.

When I started, I used a weber kettle. Made a lot of good things on the kettle that way, still have it. Then I got the MES dual fuel vertical, because I wanted something different, that I could still do charcoal with. Then gifted the electric one. I agree though, charcoal imparts an excellent flavor. :)

I have a maverick thermometer. It’s a dual setup so you can monitor meat and inside the smoker. But the mes40 has a built in thermometer and a remote for it and the temperature control. I never really use that one on meat but only the rare occasion I do a lot of stuff.

The maverick wasn’t expensive but I need to get myself an instant read, like a thermopen or thermopop. Maybe I’ll get one if I need to run out for extra chips tomorrow. We are going to smoke a pork butt, I’ll try to take some pics when I do.
I have a Thermapen and never use it with my smoker.

I have a meat probe one with separate display, instant read and an IR thermometer. 😂 Only use the probes for smoking, though.

I have a Thermapen and never use it with my smoker.

How come? My interest is really just to double check temps from my probes...I have had probes go bad.

I have a regular one that isn’t instant like a thermapen is but it takes forever to get a reading and by then, it’s changed.

How come? My interest is really just to double check temps from my probes...I have had probes go bad.

I have a regular one that isn’t instant like a thermapen is but it takes forever to get a reading and by then, it’s changed.
I just use the probe on my maverick. I use it all the time for other things and highly recommend it.