• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a reference guide

gibb

I am new to this whole cigar thing, and i have about a million questions. Is there a book, or something that goes into to detail , do i don't have to play 20 questions every time i buy a smoke.

This site and the search function are about as good as you can get.

Welcome, Gibb.

I looked for something similar when I first started getting into the hobby a few months back. On Amazon there is the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars", which seems like it might be relatively useful. I haven't taken the plunge on it yet. Nearly every other book listed there seems like it would be out of date when it comes to cigars in the marketplace, but might be useful for understanding things like how cigars are made and the classic labels.

But, in my opinion, there are probably three really great references right at your disposal:

- Your taste buds, which tell you what you like and don't like
- The Web, which will give you everything from manufacturers' websites to cigar blogs to retailers to interviews with people in the cigar industry.
- And, maybe most effectively, this website here. There's a huge amount of information on CigarPass. One tip, don't use the Search button at the top of the screen, but scroll down and use the Google site search.

Oh, and go check out the Newbie Sampler Trade. This was by far the best way I learned what I like/don't like.

not sure if there is a reference guide for non-cubans but moki's site www.vitola.net is a good

Welcome, Gibb.

I looked for something similar when I first started getting into the hobby a few months back. On Amazon there is the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars", which seems like it might be relatively useful. I haven't taken the plunge on it yet. Nearly every other book listed there seems like it would be out of date when it comes to cigars in the marketplace, but might be useful for understanding things like how cigars are made and the classic labels.

But, in my opinion, there are probably three really great references right at your disposal:

- Your taste buds, which tell you what you like and don't like
- The Web, which will give you everything from manufacturers' websites to cigar blogs to retailers to interviews with people in the cigar industry.
- And, maybe most effectively, this website here. There's a huge amount of information on CigarPass. One tip, don't use the Search button at the top of the screen, but scroll down and use the Google site search.

Oh, and go check out the Newbie Sampler Trade. This was by far the best way I learned what I like/don't like.
Well said, and most helpful (I hope). :thumbs:

That book is a fun little read but may well be outdated by now. However, it's probably a better "read in a couple of episodes while you're on the throne" resource than searching through even CigarPass. You've got to have a kernel of knowledge and the awareness of some basic concepts before you can search meaningfully and make sense of (and judge the value of) the results you might turn up in a search.

Wilkey

what i am looking for is real begginer stuff, wrapper types, info on sizes, the reson behind boxpressed and the like,

Read a lot of the posts here and do a few google searches. And then post any questions you still have. There are many kind folks here who enjoy answering questions from people new to this hobby. Don't be afraid to ask, there is no such thing as a stupid question as long as it doesn't break any forum rules (i.e. discussing Cuban sources). After all that's the reason most of us joined this forum in the first place.

-mark

edited to answer the box press question...

Basically it is just a matter of aesthetics, no advantage whatsoever. Cigars can come in the regular cigar boxes which naturally press the cigars against each other a bit which is where I believe the term originally comes from or they could come in cabinets where the cigars inside the box are in a bundles and keep their true cylindrical shape. Padron started making square pressed cigars for the annivrsario's and as they were very popular other companies have copied this. Or so I have heard, maybe someone more knowledgeable can correct me on that bit of history.

I use www.top25cigar.com .
They have a database of alot of different cigars, reviews and
ratings of each, and approximate cost. Reviews are by
regular people, not paid.

Chemyst :cool:

Get Cigars for Dummies. It's a great starting point, and offers all the info you need to get started.