• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for book/author recomends

Nelson DeMille was my first pick, but you've already got him covered.  Someone mentioned Clive Cussler.  I've read everything he's written, and he has several character series'.  I'll be honest, the Dirk Pitt stuff gets repetitive; I will be hard pressed to tell you the different books by any random "peril underwater, peril escape, beat bad guy and save world" plot, but they are entertaining and I read them.  I really enjoy his Isaac Bell series.  It's set around the turn of the century, so there's not a lot of "out of left field" plots or technologies.  Cussler researches very well and owns just about all the vehicles he includes in his stories, as a bonus.  

Tom Clancy?  The Jack Ryan series is incredible.  I don't think anyone researched better than Clancy as far as political techno-thrillers are concerned.  If you only read one book from TC, read "Without Remorse".  I can read that book cover to cover at any given time.  

I really liked World War Z.  Saw the movie a little while back, nothing like the book.  Another one I enjoyed is The Passage by Justin Cronin.  It's a trilogy, first book is called The Passage, second is The Twelve.  I believe the third book is set to come out some time this year.

Andrew Vachss, bro.  So hard-boiled, so gritty, so dark he makes Mickey Spillane look like a little girl in frilly panties:

http://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Vachss/e/B000APBFC2/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1430353875&sr=1-2-ent

It all starts with the "Burke" novels---either Blue Belle or Hard Candy is the first one, I forget.  Getting them in order mostly only matters for the last 4-5 or so, though.  He's finished with Burke and is writing stand-alones and a new series, Cross & Crew, that I haven't had the time to check out yet.

My favorite "serious" authors are Denis Johnson and Cormac McCarthy.  They're both just astonishing wordsmiths.

~Boar

<-----
Robert Heinlein of course... the aforementioned Starship Troopers, but also Stranger in a Strange Land, Time Enough for Love and my all-time favorite The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Even though it's not fiction, I also can't overstate the importance of reading The History of the Peloponnesian War.  Robert Strassler's The Landmark Thucydides contains one of the best translations along with essential margin notes and maps.

If you dig Tom Clancy and also like Factional Fiction, then try WEB Griffin. I've been tearing through his series. If USMC during WW2 or OSS during WW2 or Special Forces post WW2 is appealing to you then you're going to dig his stuff.

kann said:
Nelson DeMille was my first pick, but you've already got him covered.  Someone mentioned Clive Cussler.  I've read everything he's written, and he has several character series'.  I'll be honest, the Dirk Pitt stuff gets repetitive; I will be hard pressed to tell you the different books by any random "peril underwater, peril escape, beat bad guy and save world" plot, but they are entertaining and I read them.  I really enjoy his Isaac Bell series.  It's set around the turn of the century, so there's not a lot of "out of left field" plots or technologies.  Cussler researches very well and owns just about all the vehicles he includes in his stories, as a bonus.  

Tom Clancy?  The Jack Ryan series is incredible.  I don't think anyone researched better than Clancy as far as political techno-thrillers are concerned.  If you only read one book from TC, read "Without Remorse".  I can read that book cover to cover at any given time.  
Without Remorse. Hell. Yes. Read and audiobooked at least a dozen times. I know it by heart. Doesn't matter. New and perfect every time. Snake...

Have to agree Tom Clancy, the early series is a great read. He had the NSA and CIA going nuts with the little facts he thru in that "you weren't suppose to know about ". Red Storm Rising will give you pause for thought considering modern day gamesmanship in the political theater.

Also consider John Grisham, very excellent writer ( Pelican Brief ) for one. He has several books out, no series books, but each as its own twists and they weave complex webs.

Pugman1943 said:
Have to agree Tom Clancy, the early series is a great read. He had the NSA and CIA going nuts with the little facts he through in that "you weren't suppose to know about ". Red Storm Rising will give you pause for thought considering modern day gamesmanship in the political theater.

Also consider John Grisham, very excellent writer ( Pelican Brief ) for one. He has several books out, no series books, but each as its own twists and they weave complex webs.
Heh...Frisbees....dreamland....;)

Someone mentioned  Grisham - The Partner I highly recommend.

Based on your prior reads and less balls to the wall than Vachss I'd say give Harlan Coben a try - beach read, not a lot of brain cell necessary, start with Tell No One... just overlook some of the outdated technology in some of his older books (dial up modem anyone?) which Tell No One is a bit outdated technology wise but a great, read.... JMHO

Devil Doc said:
America's greatest novel, Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I've read it five times. I'll probably read it once more. It's more than a sea story. Some folks have trouble reading 19th century lit, but if you can get past it, it's well worth your time. You also might want to go back and read some of the books you were supposed to read in high school, Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby and Henry V come to mind.

Doc

I could not agree more! I have never enjoyed anything more than reading the classics. They "stick" within your memory as wonderful experiences.
My personal all time favorite, regardless of age, is "The Three Musketeers". I think I was in 3rd grade. It was FUN!

MadMonk said:

America's greatest novel, Moby Dick by Herman Melville. I've read it five times. I'll probably read it once more. It's more than a sea story. Some folks have trouble reading 19th century lit, but if you can get past it, it's well worth your time. You also might want to go back and read some of the books you were supposed to read in high school, Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby and Henry V come to mind.

Doc

I could not agree more! I have never enjoyed anything more than reading the classics. They "stick" within your memory as wonderful experiences.
My personal all time favorite, regardless of age, is "The Three Musketeers". I think I was in 3rd grade. It was FUN!

I just remembered that I started East of Eden a couple of years ago but got sidetracked with Robert Jordan's series finale.  Might go back and finish that one up.

Setharsis said:

Doc

I just remembered that I started East of Eden a couple of years ago but got sidetracked with Robert Jordan's series finale.  Might go back and finish that one up.

Definitely revisit!  That is far & away my favorite book.  It is Steinbeck at his very best.

Timshel

Setharsis said:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  If you grew up in the 80's, this is a must read!  Coworker told me about it last week, I finished it in a day.  Spielberg is going to direct the movie for this book soon.  It's a blend of the matrix, charlie and the chocolate factory, and everything 80's.

Done.  Not a brain strainer, but fun and easy to read.

See below darn cell phone, I apologize profusely.

Devil Doc said:

Doc
Used to be in a book club where the prevailing reasoning was no book worth reading was written in the 20th century. We would re-read the classics and have a Prof from one of the Universities come and conduct a discussion. Rather interesting.