• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for healthy food ideas

ELittle

Snowman Cage Inventor
I'd like to start eating a little healthier and I'm looking for good ideas for healthy recipes. It doesn't have to be like sprouts and tofu, but a nice blend of veggies, grains, rice, and a regular amount of meat. I usually have steaks, burgers, more steaks, some more burgers and a 6 or 12 pack.... Anyone have any favorites they would like to share?

I don't need whole recipes, just what your favorite healthy dish might be. Thanks for any ideas.

Working on the same myself. For the first few weeks I used The Daily Plate (http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/) to get an idea of calorie count in things. I now try and eat a salad with some chicken on it a few times a week and cook a lot of stir fry. Once you get an idea of calories, you can start to avoid the higher calorie items. Also, there are a few sites with nutrition information that accompanies the recipe and allow users to provide reviews. I use http://www.eatingwell.com/ for this.

Good luck!

-Chad

Well, I don't have any specific "healthy" recipes, but rather a sort of philosophy when cooking:

Use natural ingredients. The fewer times it's been touched, processed, packaged, the better.

I'm not saying to go totally organic, and stuff like that; but choose your ingredients with care. It's amazing the crap that gets put into the most innocent of things that really just mess with your body. For instance, gluten is found in just about everything it seems. Sadly, a lot of people have an allergy to this. Granted, to most it's hardly noticable, but to others it's quite uncomfortable. And there are a bunch of other things that just annoy your insides, and it gets to you.

I have a few recipes posted on my web page that may give you ideas: http://larianlequella.com/index.php?page=cook.shtml I try to add something every once in a while.

Use natural ingredients. The fewer times it's been touched, processed, packaged, the better.

:thumbs:

If it comes in a box or crinkly package . . . read that label.

I grew up in a brown bread, fresh veggies from the garden, salad with dinner family so I've tended to maintain that even as a bachelor who eats way too much grilled red meat and not nearly enough vegetables. Like Chadth, grilled meat on a big salad is a regular meal, as are various stir fry and pasta primavera type dishes.

Watch the sauces and dressings. I use a spritzer or vinagrette instead of drowning things in Ranch, and a little butter, wine, and milk for pasta instead of alfredo or a can of cream of industrial waste soup.

~Boar

Baked flounder...or any white fish...spray the pan with no stick spray, add some white wine and lemon juice. Flip the fish to get it wet, then sprinkle some bread crumbs on top and spray the top with no stick. Bake for 30 min @350...Great with rice and a salad dressed with oil and vinegar.....Goes better with wine then beer though.
Try it once a week....instead of red meat.

One of my favourite ways to enjoy burgers whie cutting the fat WAY down is to have bison burgers. The meat doesn't taste much different than beef, especially if you season the meat a little with some salt and pepper before grilling. Maybe rub a little BBQ sauce on during cooking for a bit more flavour, or make it more beef-like for the less adventurous folk.

Apparently game meat can be quite a bit leaner than farm meat. There are also a number of ways you can prepare wild meat to get rid of the gamey flavours.

:thumbs:

If it comes in a box or crinkly package . . . read that label.

~Boar

x3... do most of your shopping on the "outside" of the store, as in the produce section, meat dept., dairy and bakery. Avoid most of the processed stuff in the middle. I'm not always the best example of this, but I try...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Healthy food!!!

That was a good one!

I had some dish while I was in Russia and this is basically what I had.

It came with some sliced bread like Italian and this one type of bread thats made for dipping in soups like Borshch. I would get their version of a Greek salad which consisted of fresh slices of tomatoes, green peppers, red peppers, or yellow peppers, a couple of green olives, and some season dressing which was damn good.

The main dish was 2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked in what I would say a milk like sauce. It also have a Rice pilaf with some odd fruit from the orange family that I never saw before and it was good.

And finally dessert which really depended on my mood but generally this fruit cup they had. It consisted mainly chunks of banana's, oranges, apples, and sometimes strawberries topped with this tart like raspberry sauces and some whip cream.

Needless to say it made me sick most of the time due to the fact I am allergic to dairy but it didn't have cheese and that I am highly allergic too.

Over all I really loved the dish and I ate pretty healthy and trimmed down a lot. I'd say I was able to trim off a good 5" off the waist. But I also walked A LOT. I should define a lot. I walked over 70+ miles in 2 months. Eating healthy and walking I was able to accomplish what I wanted somewhat. I didn't lose weight. I just turned the fat to muscle.

Now its a different story with eating healthy. I'm losing the weight by eating healthy and not walking at the moment. I will get an idea how I am sitting come May 5th or 6th when they weigh me for the surgery.

If you are serious...I have this cookbook that deals with Greek area for recipes. Its packed up and at the other house. So it will take me a few days to find it and pull out some recipes.

i'm on the same mission to clean up my diet, since the dr. told me my LDL was at 168 (ideally, should be 100 or lower). :whistling: my parents owned a burger shop, so i was literally raised on burgers. anyhow, my breakfasts are pretty much strictly oatmeal, now. i used to have it straight with just hot water, but now i add frozen blueberries, flax seed, and a 3-berry granola mix from Trader Joe's.

i've reduced my red meats and increased my chicken breasts, portobellos, and sockeye salmon intake. it was real tough at first, cuz i'm used to red meat at every meal, but it's been kind of fun to figure out how to make formerly unappealing food appetizing. the one thing i can't kick is cheese. i love cheese.

Eating better is the beginning of getting healthy overall. First drink more water. A few years ago my wife's kidneys stopped working. Not a great position for a mid 30's woman. The more I read and investigated we are being force fed the worst possible ingredients. Go with the theory of the fewest ingredients possible. The smallest company you can find, and overall if you cannot pronounce the ingredient don't put it in your pie hole. As Americans we are fed a diet of the cheapest produced and fastest to market material that corporate America can find. The fish and meat you eat are feed a diet of the most polluted and horrible ingredients. Therefore the fish and meat you eat are no good for you regardless of preparation. Attempt to add more non-manufactured foods into your diet. Drink more water, this is super important. When you do buy fish and meat buy wild caught fish. Even though the oceans are polluted it has got to be better than farm raised fish, fed the toxic fatten 'em quickly and get 'em to market. Also did I mention drink more water, one oz. per pound of body weight per day, in my case 220 oz. a day. 3000 years ago Hippocrates stated "let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food" if you can stop ingesting toxins your overall health will improve. Back to the case study, my wife after getting the toxic modern medicine course of treatment for her kidneys staring following my advise. We eliminated as many toxins as we could from our food, our skin care, our deodorant etc. And we started drinking a lot of water. She has now got good functioning kidneys, we have both lost 40+ pounds with no exercise. We are after all lazy Americans, she has stopped taking all but one prescription, and for the first time in her life her hair and nails are growing well. When you really start to look at what we eat it will scare the beejeebes out of you. Organic and smaller family owned and run companies are the only way IMHO to begin and maintain a healthier lifestyle.

Before you take Par 3 cigars advice on water consumption please read this.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

Eating better is the beginning of getting healthy overall. First drink more water. A few years ago my wife's kidneys stopped working. Not a great position for a mid 30's woman. The more I read and investigated we are being force fed the worst possible ingredients. Go with the theory of the fewest ingredients possible. The smallest company you can find, and overall if you cannot pronounce the ingredient don't put it in your pie hole. As Americans we are fed a diet of the cheapest produced and fastest to market material that corporate America can find. The fish and meat you eat are feed a diet of the most polluted and horrible ingredients. Therefore the fish and meat you eat are no good for you regardless of preparation. Attempt to add more non-manufactured foods into your diet. Drink more water, this is super important. When you do buy fish and meat buy wild caught fish. Even though the oceans are polluted it has got to be better than farm raised fish, fed the toxic fatten 'em quickly and get 'em to market. Also did I mention drink more water, one oz. per pound of body weight per day, in my case 220 oz. a day. 3000 years ago Hippocrates stated "let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food" if you can stop ingesting toxins your overall health will improve. Back to the case study, my wife after getting the toxic modern medicine course of treatment for her kidneys staring following my advise. We eliminated as many toxins as we could from our food, our skin care, our deodorant etc. And we started drinking a lot of water. She has now got good functioning kidneys, we have both lost 40+ pounds with no exercise. We are after all lazy Americans, she has stopped taking all but one prescription, and for the first time in her life her hair and nails are growing well. When you really start to look at what we eat it will scare the beejeebes out of you. Organic and smaller family owned and run companies are the only way IMHO to begin and maintain a healthier lifestyle.

In my research I have read every side it seems of many of these arguments. IMHO it all boils down to what makes your body function well. I like the idea in the link that we consider what our prehistoric animal relatives did or did not do. For sure what they did not do was subject themselves too an American diet, and they certainly did not immerse themselves in a toxic environment of petroleum, chemicals, and food additives. The best advise is always to listen to your own body, and your own common sense. Our bodies are made up of 70+ % water, my common sense tells me by flushing our systems with clean pure water we can aid all of our systems by allowing them to work effortlessly. Each of us must try things to see how our body reacts. You certainly wont help your body if you suddenly go from 12 oz. of water a day to 100. Just like the link above just one mans opinion.

Although off topic to the original post, in regards to the caveman water approach, lets not forget that the lifespan of Grok was probably about 25 years.

One quick snack i like to eat that is pretty healthy is two poached eggs on whole wheat toast with some sliced fruit. Carbohydrates, protein, vitamins.

One of the best books i have seen on eating is called "Power Eating" by Dr.Susan Kleiner. It is more geared to an athlete's diet but i think it is a very good no nonsense book on eating, just my opinion.

And finally does anybody else think it is ironic talking about being healthier on a cigar based web forum?

I catch that same flak from my friends now that I have become a psycho about health and chemicals etc, but it seems the only reason to get healthy is to be able to enjoy these special treats in life for longer than our unhealthy counterparts.
Again off topic, I apologize for attempted threadjacking, but has anyone tried any of the organic cigars?