• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for some Audio advice

jgohlke

My other hobby
I have a workshop in the backyard and it needs some decent tunes. It's a barn-shaped building, 12 feet wide and 32 feet deep. It's basically two 12x16 barns stuck end to end. The back half is the dirty and noisy end...table saw, drill press, miter saws, blower fan. The front half is the workbench, hand tools and the hand power tools. Right now it's got an old car stereo that I power with a spare car battery (recharge as necessary) that I use to listen to the radio. I also bought a boom-box so I can play my iPod. Mostly I listen to the iPod now...I can't take the radio anymore.

The kids have discovered the boom box has an iPod connection, so it's never in the shop these days and I have to go hunting for it. Plus, it doesn't really have that much ooomph anyway.

I have been thinking about switching to iPod exclusively and getting a set of powered speakers, or possibly an amp and some speakers. The shop isn't that big, but I do like to play it loud! Looking around locally, the powered speakers are all "computer" speakers and pretty wimpy. I've Googled around and read about DJ setups. Looks like you can get some nice gear to run a DJ setup....but I have no idea what I'm looking at...

I don't need a sub-woofer, don't really have the room for it and I'm a rock-n-roll fan, so big bass isn't that important to me. I'll probably mount the speakers over the door (just above my head) and face them down the long end of the shop.

The shop has electricity and I've got an iPod....plus a small budget. I don't really want to spend more than a few hundred, ideally not more than $200. With the regular dust and noise of the shop (and me with my high freq hearing shot from too much time around turbine engines), I don't need studio monitors. I can't tell the difference anyway.

So let's say $200 to start and I'll entertain interesting setups to $500, no higher.

Any ideas?

Why not just find a nice pair of computer speakers (with the subwoofer) and hook that directly up to your iPod?

Plus if you choose not to use the speakers anymore you can just use them on a computer.

I am not sure how good the sounds is, but I know they make some pretty nice looking ipod docs that are speakers. I am sure i have seen them for under 200

If you don't want to use computer speakers, then you just need to find a stereo receiver and speakers.

Actually Bose and JBL, and others, make some REALLY nice sounding and very powerful iPod all-in-one speakers (docks, check amazon.com) ... If you're able to put it in a spot that won't get dirty or damaged, you might want to look at those, they're louder than you would think and do pump out great sound... sounds like you have a sub, tweets, everything.

I'd avoid iPod docks at all cost. The sound quality just isn't there if you want any ooomph. Look into a iPod to RCA adapter and check local pawn shops for a receiver/amp and some speakers, if you're not concerned with mega bass. Or...might I suggest a simple plug and play Klipsch ProMedia set-up for fairly cheap money for what you get.

The computer speakers and, in general, the whole "bookshelf" speaker group sounds great in the store and good in a bedroom, but they are a little underpowered for the shop. Imagine a two-car garage, with a door open, a vacuum cleaner running and you are wearing hearing protection.

I think you guys would be surprised at some of the stuff the better Bose docks, and the bigger JBL dock can do. My friend's dad had the JBL one up in his bedroom, we walked in the front door downstairs and it was loud... we thought it was a hardwired in-house system. Some of them are garbage though.

Now that I'm looking though, I'm not sure they can be had for under $200 anyway though :(

I have the Bose Portable Sounddock. It costs a little more ($399), but it has a rechargable battery, and exceptional sound quality. It has a 3.55 mm jack to hook up laptops, DVD players, etc. as well. I think it would rock your workshop! And you could take it other places as well.

Link

I'd avoid iPod docks at all cost. The sound quality just isn't there if you want any ooomph. Look into a iPod to RCA adapter and check local pawn shops for a receiver/amp and some speakers, if you're not concerned with mega bass. Or...might I suggest a simple plug and play Klipsch ProMedia set-up for fairly cheap money for what you get.
+1 for ProMedia's. They'll fill the shop, no worries.

+2. I have a set and they have plenty of oomph.

Bose is nice, and LOUD. Those are the only speakers I've personally used that have been listed so far though.

Bose makes really nice equipment for their niche market. I used to be an engineering tech with them up on The Mountain in Framingham.

I'll take a look at mine and edit the post, it's small and fills up the room.

I'm a rock-n-roll fan, so big bass isn't that important to me.

This is confusing. (-:

In any case, i don't think you can get cheap, nice, and loud together for $200. You could pick any two though.

Or you could spend a little more and get:

http://www.music123.com/American-Audio-DLS...153210.Music123

or something like it.

This is decent sound quality, not pristine, because it is a PA speaker, not a "stereo" speaker or studio monitor. However, it will be nice and loud for you, and it will stand up to the rigor of a workshop environment (dust, dirt, vibrations, temperature and humidity swings) better than a consumer Big Box Store purchase.

And it is very near your price point at $240 for the refurb. You will need to get the appropriate three dollar cable at radio shack to plug your ipod into it.

JK

Hey Jim - That looks like a great solution. Thanks for the link.

I'm a 50 year-old guy. I don't like rap, disco or dance music. I don't have a pair of 15's or an amp in my car and I don't want either of them. That's what I meant by the rock-n-roll bass comment.

So much surface area of speaker driver can only move so much air.

NAD makes excellent integrated amps that will be more than powerful enough to drive most mass market speakers.
Look at PSB or Paradigm, or Energy small monitors and you'll get the best bang for your speaker buck. The used market for these is good, and fairly safe.

The Amplified Monitors previously mentioned would be a good safer bet.

Awesome, my subject. some KRKs may work well for you. Depends how loud you want them. I have RP6s along with some other speakers in my studio and they are GREAT. (before reading your post on the volume level needed)
ou6rtt.jpg

(I love showing off)

I also have b52 matrix 1000 speakers, (15" subwoofer with two 10" monitors) you can get those used for around 500, but they push some serious sound for the price. I can fill a school gym with them in a dance. Those actually might be better for you. http://www.b-52pro.com/models/Matrix1000v2.html

And I still can't beileve people fall for the Bose marketing

Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment.

Good grief man, buy those things. I'm going to as soon as I talk the wife unit in to it!!! I've messed around with a lot of different speakers and these look great!!!!!!!!!

Holy crap, man. That b52 system is insane for a workshop. I'd have to cut the music off to run the table saw!