• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mac or PC

cigah_smoka

Proud Padron slut!!
I'm just curious to see what platform people are using around here. I use a Mac fully loaded with all the design programs for my freelance work. I have a G4 with a dual processor, 256 MB RAM, 80GB Drive. I love using macs!

Dell Dimension 8450 P4 2.4gig, 512 RIMM, 120GB HD :) Love my Dell and would recommend a Dell to anyone in the market for a new PC :)

Fast4Dr said:
Dell Dimension 8450 P4 2.4gig, 512 RIMM, 120GB HD :)  Love my Dell and would recommend a Dell to anyone in the market for a new PC :)
What the hell is RIMM?

:sign: :sign:

Captain B said:
Fast4Dr said:
Dell Dimension 8450 P4 2.4gig, 512 RIMM, 120GB HD :)  Love my Dell and would recommend a Dell to anyone in the market for a new PC :)
What the hell is RIMM?

:sign: :sign:
It is a type of RAM. Supposedly faster than DDR RAM

cigah_smoka said:
I'm just curious to see what platform people are using around here. I use a Mac fully loaded with all the design programs for my freelance work. I have a G4 with a dual processor, 256 MB RAM, 80GB Drive. I love using macs!
Mac here as well. Hell, my company develops software for the Mac (games and utilities) -- have a look, cigah:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/

Anyway, we also do some Windows software, so we have Windows boxes around as well. I concur with you that I by far enjoy using the Mac more than any Windows box. MacOS X 10.3 is the bomb.

My machine at home is a dual 2gHz G5 tower with 2gb RAM hooked up to a Cinema HD display (1920x1200). Awesome machine.

I have a PowerBook, too, for work on the go -- when it came time to buy a Windows laptop for our office, I simply couldn't find a Windows laptop that offers the same small form factor, large screen, long battery life, and full feature compliment. I ended up getting a Sony VAIO, which is ok, but rather huge and clunky. Apple makes the best portable computers in the business.

XP2000+, 1 gig ram, 128 meg video. Audigy Platinum 5.1 digital into a 400 watt Koss Home Theatre, 1 Terrabyte+ HD space, CD/DVD burners, 17",19" and a 37" monitors and its all wreless
I know I now its old just havent had time to build a new one

I have couple of window boxes aroung the house. A Dell 8100 desktop and a Dmension laptop tied on a wireless router with a cable connection. Nothing fancy just couple of mid-range boxes tricked out after purchase. I almost forgot..I definitely would recommend Dell to anyone getting a Window box....

PC here. I've never used a MAC.

Home built PC w/ WIN 2000 Pro, a Dell Latitude CPx laptop w/ XP pro, a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop w/ WIN 98SE and a Dell Inspiron 8000 w/ WIN 2000 Server.

Never used a Mac, but my next computer will be. Windows has finally worn out its welcome here. As for computer specs, I don't even remember. I put it together myself over a year ago.

I think it's Athlon XP 1800+, 384meg DDR RAM, 60gig HD... and my old 17" viewsonic from 5 years ago. This monitor KICKS ASS. Heavy as your mother, but works all the same. :p

I have a custom built PC running Windows XP, don't know much more than that off the top of my head.

More recently though I would consider my platform to be a POS due to recent virus problems and slick a## bastards in the PC repair business.

I took the PC to a shop to have it wiped for viruses and it came back and worked for about 1 day. Guy refused to check and fix it without charging me all over again!!!! AHOLE!

Took the thing to another shop and the guy fixed it great and told me he had to change the cables to the hard drive...Somebody had used the wrong kind of connecting cable...he said it was only a matter of time before the hard drive failed...

I confronted the AHOLE at the other shop and he confessed to switching the cables...he said he had to do it as part of wiping the hard drive clean...

I asked five different techs at five different shops if that was true...they all said hell no!

Well, I went back to the AHOLE in the first shop and told him off and reported his A## to the area business league.

Home Built XP1900+ Gigabyte GA-7Vrxp motherboard, Termaltake 9 Cpu fan
Silver round ide cables. 1 gig of ddr 2700, 40 gig Maxtor harddrive, Cd burner, dvd, ATI 9700 pro Video card, Audigy 2 sound card, 4 blue 80mm fans. Clear Acrylic Case! alittle old but does the job. Also built it my self and is over clocked to 2.5 ghz.
Acrylic case <-

PhatAsh said:
I have a custom built PC running Windows XP, don't know much more than that off the top of my head.

More recently though I would consider my platform to be a POS due to recent virus problems and slick a## bastards in the PC repair business.
Yeah, that's one other nice thing about the Mac platform -- no viruses. Literally: none.

The only problems we see when a major new Windows virus is released is having to deal with the emails that clog up our networks as the worms try to spread themselves. That's okay, hitting the delete key isn't so bad, but it is minorly annoying. At least we can't be infected by them.

Our Windows boxes are placed behind a DMZ'd firewall because we don't want to risk them being exposed to anything. Just isn't worth it.

vewyphishy said:
Never used a Mac, but my next computer will be. Windows has finally worn out its welcome here. As for computer specs, I don't even remember. I put it together myself over a year ago.
Let me know when you're in the market. I can help you out with specs, and very likely get you a discount on the purchase.

::segue::

I'm actually glad you started this topic, cigah -- because I'm been mulling over whipping up some cigar software. It'd keep track of what is in your humidor, when you got the smokes, where you got them from, and be able to spit out nice formatted lists.

I'll also have it keep track of your reviews of the smokes, click on a button to move a cigar from the humidor to the "smoked" pile, and so on and so forth. It's going to be MacOS X only, though, no Windows.

Just recently built mine......Athlon XP2000+, 128mg GeForce 5600 video card, Asus MB with Nvidia chipset, burner, etc.

I love it.

I've got an athlon 1700+ overclocked to a 2100+, 512pc3200, WD80SE, and a spoon full of sugar to top it off.

Mac's are great for graphic design, but they're more of an appliance than a PC.

I have a bunged together Celeron made up of free parts. 256MB RAM, works great. I found the processor and motherboard in a gateway in the trash (PS had gone bad), ex-gfs roommate had her comp fry on her so I used her case. Old HD out of my mac, $5 network card, mayeb a couple other things here and there.

I used to do macs but I got tired of my **** being more expensive and less compatible.

Uhhhhh, you guys all know way too much about computers but I'll take a shot:

I have a COMPAQ, it's about two years old. I dunno how much RAM it has (1 gig, does that make sense?). The hard drive is 90 gig and it has an Althon micro processor but I don't know how fast it is (does 1 Meg sound about right?) It's got the DVD & CD/CDR deals.

I also have an HP laptop which is a little less than a year old. 40 gig hard drive and an old HP Pavillion from 1998 (this is an OLD machine, still runs windows '98) in the basement networked to the others. That one is a 400 mHz speed pentium with not a whole lot of RAM. I think it has a 12 gig hard drive.

I had a Dell from 1998 or so. THREE hard drives failed so I stay away from Dell. Right now, I installed the third failed hard drive in my Compaq so I'd be able to access all the data files I had on that drive. This hard drive has failed so badly, everytime I boot up the Compaq, it tries to run a disk check that can never be completed. Again, why on earth these guys can't use decent hard drives is beyond me so screw 'em, I go with Compaq/HP

I'm not a MAC fan.

Ummm, CC? Aren't you forgetting another system you have? Or was that for someone else?

For anyone looking to upgrade their system, I sell fully customized affordable computers. My base system is available at My Webpage. Everything is upgradable.

Ask SamGuss or CoventryCat86 what they think of theirs if you have questions about reliability. All hardware is covered by my 2 year warranty.

Dave :D