• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mac or PC

Yeah, that's one other nice thing about the Mac platform -- no viruses. Literally: none.

Aw man, that's just not true. Viruses have been written to target Mac OSs (and nearly if not all flavors of Unix). There are just more folks that want to target MS (both because MS is evil and because there is more notoriety to be had by wreaking havoc amongst a greater number of users).

That said, in the 15+ years that I have owned a PC, I have had only 1 virus (that I am aware of).

-Mike

I have three PCs running Windows in my home network
1)Home built AMD Athalon 2000+
2)My file server/SQL Server, and old Dell P2-400
3)My wife's Dell Inspiron laptop

And then I have a SliMP3 client to access my music library from the stereo.

Dual XP 2100, 146 GB raid 5, 1 GB memory, ATI 64 Meg Video, DVD and loaded with just about every operating system used on a PC over the last 10 years. Usually work in XP though.

more of a mac guy myself, but my school had more PCs, so I do both.
But me next laptop will be a Mac.

MonkeyK said:
Aw man, that's just not true. Viruses have been written to target Mac OSs (and nearly if not all flavors of Unix). There are just more folks that want to target MS (both because MS is evil and because there is more notoriety to be had by wreaking havoc amongst a greater number of users).
um... yes, it is true. I defy you to name a single virus/worm that affects MacOS X. You will not find one, because they currently do not exist.

I'm actually glad you started this topic, cigah -- because I'm been mulling over whipping up some cigar software. It'd keep track of what is in your humidor, when you got the smokes, where you got them from, and be able to spit out nice formatted lists.
I'll also have it keep track of your reviews of the smokes, click on a button to move a cigar from the humidor to the "smoked" pile, and so on and so forth. It's going to be MacOS X only, though, no Windows.

Nice Moki, Let me know when you get it up and running, I'd be more than happy to try it out!

moki said:
MonkeyK said:
um... yes, it is true. I defy you to name a single virus/worm that affects MacOS X. You will not find one, because they currently do not exist.
Not being an OS X user, I tend not to keep up on viruses for that platform. A quick search on google for "mac os x virus" takes me to Sophos AntiVirus for Mac OS X, who's FAQ describes some OS X viruses:
Sophos FAQ

I'm not saying that MacOS X is bad, it is certianly a great looking UI, pros tell me that it is better designed than Windows, and I hear nothing but rave reviews from its users. But no system is invulnerable.

Old PowerPC clone running 8.6 and a 2 year old ibook running OS X.

MonkeyK said:
Not being an OS X user, I tend not to keep up on viruses for that platform. A quick search on google for "mac os x virus" takes me to Sophos AntiVirus for Mac OS X, who's FAQ describes some OS X viruses:
Sophos FAQ

I'm not saying that MacOS X is bad, it is certianly a great looking UI, pros tell me that it is better designed than Windows, and I hear nothing but rave reviews from its users. But no system is invulnerable.
I've been a developer for almost 20 years, I'm very intimately aware of the inner workings of the OS... trust me, there are NO MacOS X specific viruses.

The viruses that you see on that page are for the "classic" MacOS -- they cannot infect MacOS X itself. All of the MDEF/INIT/etc viruses are approximately 8-10 years old, and none of them infect MacOS X.

I can understand your confusion, though: "classic" MacOS and MacOS X are two entirely different beasts. Virus software for MacOS X is something of a joke: they are waiting around for something to crop up so there will be a demand for it.

I agree with you that nothing is invulnerable, that's just the nature of software. I'm merely stating that at the present time, there are no viruses for MacOS X. And that's true.

Home: 2.6Ghz running XP home edition.
Work: 1.7 Ghz running XP Professional.

Sam

If it's not home made, then it's a Dell for me.

Ummm, CC? Aren't you forgetting another system you have? Or was that for someone else?
For anyone looking to upgrade their system, I sell fully customized affordable computers. My base system is available at My Webpage. Everything is upgradable.
Ask SamGuss or CoventryCat86 what they think of theirs if you have questions about reliability. All hardware is covered by my 2 year warranty.

Yes Dave, that was for someone else and I wish I kept the one from you as it is a far better machine. ;)

If you're not going to build you own, ya GOTTA get one from Dave. Dave will set you up better than anything you can get from the "big guys" for a better price. By the time the big box stores and the name brand's get done with you adding on crap you don't need and service plans you'll never use, you'll spend a heck of a lot more than if you'd just gone with a system from Dave. Reliability? the computer has performed flawlessly ever since it was new and WOW is it FAST ;)

PC here but I'm moving to MAC as soon as I can afford one. Motorolas blow away Intels if you ask me. I was an early Amiga user and should never have gone back to pc :(

My first computer was an Apple II in 1979(I was 8 by the way)....Three mile Island was the bomb!!!(literally) I haven't had an Apple since, but think it may be time to try the forbidden fruit!!! I am hesitant because like ya'll warned about ISOMs, you can never come back from the Darkside!!.. :D

lucasbuck said:
PC here but I'm moving to MAC as soon as I can afford one. Motorolas blow away Intels if you ask me. I was an early Amiga user and should never have gone back to pc :(
At the risk of being shown how little I am up on Macs by Moki again, I'll state that the Mac CPU is no longer a Motorola CPU.
I believe that the new processor in the G5 is made by IBM.

MonkeyK said:
lucasbuck said:
At the risk of being shown how little I am up on Macs by Moki again, I'll state that the Mac CPU is no longer a Motorola CPU.
I did not know that. I bet they still kick Intels a$$. :)

MonkeyK said:
Nope, you're exactly right -- current Macs use the G5 CPU from IBM -- it's a scaled down version of their mondo-powerful super-high-end POWER4 architecture -- those chips are used in massive 64-way multiprocessing super computers. This link has some more info on the G5:

http://www.apple.com/g5processor/ibmprocess.html

The PowerMac G5's are cool machines; 64 bit CPUs, massive memory bandwidth, and so on:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

specstop06232003.jpg

I only work on a PC, and hopefully will for the rest of my life...

ALostTexan