• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mac users

Capt Redbeard

Son of a son of a sailor
How many of you BOTL's out there are mac users? I converted about 5 years ago and haven't looked back.
And those of those you who are users, have you had any harddrive problems such as failures...etc? I just had my third drive failure in 2 laptops. My mac "genius" explained that none of them could really be my fault since I haven't ever dropped my laptop. I'm curious as to if anyone else has these problems or if I just have bad luck with harddrives?

Been on Macs since '91 or so. Started with a Mac IIci with a 105 MB HD, 16 MB RAM, external SCSI drive and a 15" Sony monitor. Then we got a gen 2 green iMac. Presently we have a half-ball white iMac and I use a G4 iBook.

I love the Mac and would never give them up for a PC.

Note, I started on PC's with a PC XT, 286, 386, 486, blah, blah, blah...:p

Wilkey

I've been using them religiously since '94 (PowerMac 7100/66, G3/300, G3/400, Ti PowerBook 1 GHz, PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 GHz, iMac Intel 20" 2.16 GHz), and in that time I have only had one drive fail, the one in my Dual G5 here at work. It had bad sectors on it that started to multiply. I managed to get all my data off it before it went completely, so other than a headache and 2 days mapping out bad sectors, it wasn't a total catastrophe. Considering Apple uses drives from a variety of manufacturers, drive failure really can't be attributed to them, as they're not making them. I'd chalk it up to dumb luck...oh, and

BACK YOUR DATA UP! :thumbs:

I have a MacBook Pro 17", converted from PC January this year...wth took me so long?

Brian

Present.

As for your hard drive failures, it's just bad luck -- Apple doesn't make hard drives, they use the same components all laptop vendors use in their laptops. I'm rather surprised you've had so many bad drives, though, I've yet to have it happen to me.

I've never had a hardware failure on any of my Macs. Plenty of crashing prior to OS X but since 10.4, rock steady on all fronts.

Wilkey

Nothing but Macs here, G-4 and iMac5. OS 10.4.8 keeps me happy!

I am here!

First Apple was a IIc. Apple's forever. I worked at Apple for 5 years before my move.

I am now saving my ducats for the iPhone.

I am glad AT&T bought out my phone company. I do not need to change carriers.

Been on Macs since '91 or so. Started with a Mac IIci with a 105 MB HD, 16 MB RAM, external SCSI drive and a 15" Sony monitor.

Wilkey

That computer was big pimpin back in '91! 16 megs of ram was HUGE, especially with ram doubler.

How many of you BOTL's out there are mac users? I converted about 5 years ago and haven't looked back.
And those of those you who are users, have you had any harddrive problems such as failures...etc? I just had my third drive failure in 2 laptops. My mac "genius" explained that none of them could really be my fault since I haven't ever dropped my laptop. I'm curious as to if anyone else has these problems or if I just have bad luck with harddrives?

No problem with laptop HD's here. Did have the power supply to my work G5 go, but apparently they were problematic.

Been on Macs since '91 or so. Started with a Mac IIci with a 105 MB HD, 16 MB RAM, external SCSI drive and a 15" Sony monitor. Then we got a gen 2 green iMac. Presently we have a half-ball white iMac and I use a G4 iBook.
Wilkey

My first system too!

I started on Macs in 1989 (or '90). I was a designer at a Tennessee packaging firm. They boughht 3 Macs and told the art staff to be proficient in 2 weeks. (No pressure...) The next year we got color monitors!

I'm on a G4 currently. And despite it's longevity and lack of problems, I still get head shakes from my PC friends. "Why in the world would you use one of those toys?"

I started on Macs in 1989 (or '90). I was a designer at a Tennessee packaging firm. They boughht 3 Macs and told the art staff to be proficient in 2 weeks. (No pressure...) The next year we got color monitors!

I'm on a G4 currently. And despite it's longevity and lack of problems, I still get head shakes from my PC friends. "Why in the world would you use one of those toys?"

I have a first gen G4 at home, reluctant to upgrade because it's been such a workhorse, but because of the vidcard it shipped with I can't upgrade past 10.2. Thinking of an iMac (Pro).

Apple-logo.png

Never any problems here....

**knock on wood**

Here.

Since about 1992. First was a Mac Classic II, then a Performa 475, then a Performa 6200, then an original iBook, then a 15" "Lamp-Shade" iMac, then a 20" iMac G5 + iBook, now a 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac + 17" MacBookPro. :)

I love my Macs. I also have an AppleTV, Airport Extreme and a few iPods and I'll be getting an iPhone at launch...

And yes, I own some Apple stock. lol

Here.

Since about 1992. First was a Mac Classic II, then a Performa 475, then a Performa 6200, then an original iBook, then a 15" "Lamp-Shade" iMac, then a 20" iMac G5 + iBook, now a 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac + 17" MacBookPro. :)

I love my Macs. I also have an AppleTV, Airport Extreme and a few iPods and I'll be getting an iPhone at launch...

How do you like the 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac? I'm thinking about the 20"

Here.

How do you like the 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac? I'm thinking about the 20"