• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Man vs. Wild

JimiHendrix

Typcast Unemployed
Reaction score
So I've been on this discovery channel kick as of late because I have too much free time during this lay period between end of spring semester and beginning of summer work. I was watching Man vs. Wild with my Dad when he suddenly exclaimed the show was completely fraudulent. We argued for a good 20 minutues but to no avail. Neither party could be swayed to I'm bringing it to the CP masses to help decide (and to kill time). Is the show real or just a completel load of... well you know.

-Mike

I don't think it really matters. Whether it is staged or not, he does some crazy insane stuff that only superhumans can do. That said, Survivorman is definitely better because he's not a superhuman...

So I've been on this discovery channel kick as of late because I have too much free time during this lay period between end of spring semester and beginning of summer work. I was watching Man vs. Wild with my Dad when he suddenly exclaimed the show was completely fraudulent. We argued for a good 20 minutues but to no avail. Neither party could be swayed to I'm bringing it to the CP masses to help decide (and to kill time). Is the show real or just a completel load of... well you know.

-Mike

I've watched it a few times. Whether or not the guy is dropped with nothing and actually lives the life could be a point of contention. Yeah, I'll be having a serving of grubs and beetles while my camera and sound guys much ham sandwiches. His survival plans and the details of him securing food and shelter are absolutely sound. The only guy I've known who really enjoyed eating the things that'd make most of us puke was certifiable.

I think it's good TV, but I can't stand to watch Survivorman. The self filmed views are just sickening to watch.

I've been convinced he's acting for some time now. The episode where he gets sick (with a high fever) and is throwing up... He climbs up a waterfall - with this raging fever - to find a sappling he had noticed the day before. He licks its sap and declares his stomach feels better.

And how many more times will he tell us he broke his back in three places? We've got it! You're one tough Brit that likes to bite still-living fish! (Ever notice it doesn't show him eating those fish?)

I'll take Wes over Bear anyday. He doesn't have that show-off mentality.

I would presume, from watching it, that it's on the level up until the shit really hits the fan then the camera crew will toss him a sandwich, bottle of water and a sat phone.

Skepticism comes with age, young fella.

Doc.

:laugh: Indeed. Then, at a certain point, you revert back to wide-eyed innocence and naivete...just ask the numerous seniors duped by lottery-ticket scams, Nigerian heirs, etc. Hope to God I maintain my sense when I get up there so I won't be just another one of those victims. Either that, or just go so absolutely poo-throwing senile that everyone will just steer clear of my door.

I've seen the show a few times and in the end I always end up shaking my head and saying something like "Boyscouts are told NOT to do anything like that in a survival situation". Many times I have seeen him running, or climbing some in such a dangerous way that falling and getting hurt could mean your FAILURE in the servival process. Now, if you want a great outdoor show find Ray Mears Bushcraft. It came out on the BBC before the other recent survival shows.

I like SurvivorMan over Man v. Wild simply because Les is completely alone and has to carry all the equipment around (which he bitches about constantly). Bear has a camera crew with him to help film the experience.

Doc.

:laugh: Indeed. Then, at a certain point, you revert back to wide-eyed innocence and naivete...just ask the numerous seniors duped by lottery-ticket scams, Nigerian heirs, etc. Hope to God I maintain my sense when I get up there so I won't be just another one of those victims. Either that, or just go so absolutely poo-throwing senile that everyone will just steer clear of my door.
:laugh: :laugh: LMFAOROTF! :laugh: :laugh:

Doc.

That's what I always say. Throw some shit at the problem!

I watch both and like the Suvivorman series better. The self-filming doesn't bother me. His show seems to be more "real world" survival tips to me.

I have found a few continuity problems with Man vs Wild....

At the beginning of the show where he walks out of the lava field, it shows him being dropped off in the middle of the day and he talks about finding shelter for the night. The first night out is completely off-camera and the show resumes on what is obviously the next day with no reference to how or where he spent the night.

In the MvW show where he is in the jungle, there are some scenes where he has dirt on his face, and then the dirt is gone, then it's back. This continuity issue happens across more than 1 day in show time. After I saw that and I realized that they were willing to "edit" in the drama at the risk of show continuity, I was a lot less enthused about the show.

Even I know enough to not expect a wooden boat that has been out of the water to float without leaking. The MvW show where he takes the wooden rowboat and it later sinks was just bogus. He knew it was leaking when he set out in it.

Clearly the guy is very tough and has some extreme skills at survival...but the show is too much like "reality tv" to be taken seriously.

If it's on TV, being billed as reality TV, it's probably not....................

Summarized from Wiki;

Bear was in the SAS, one of the most elite Special Forces units in the world. He broke his back in a parachuting incident free falling over 1500 ft. Climbed Mt. Everest two years later. He crossed the Atlantic Ocean in an inflatable boat. On the show, he drank water from elephant dung, bit the head off a snake, killed a rabbit with a home made boomerang on the first throw and found fresh water in an underground LAVA TUBE!

Survivalman was a musican that became an outdoor/survival enthusiast. He went and lived in the Canadian wilderness for a year.

Neither show is meant to be a primer on survival skills. Just entertainment. But Bear Grylls is the real deal.

Summarized from Wiki;

Bear was in the SAS, one of the most elite Special Forces units in the world. He broke his back in a parachuting incident free falling over 1500 ft. Climbed Mt. Everest two years later. He crossed the Atlantic Ocean in an inflatable boat. On the show, he drank water from elephant dung, bit the head off a snake, killed a rabbit with a home made boomerang on the first throw and found fresh water in an underground LAVA TUBE!

Survivalman was a musican that became an outdoor/survival enthusiast. He went and lived in the Canadian wilderness for a year.

Neither show is meant to be a primer on survival skills. Just entertainment. But Bear Grylls is the real deal.

So so summarize even further Bear Grylls is a badass dude... I agree.