• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Managing Beetle Outbreaks

Danforz

Hey guys,

Regarding beetle out breaks, I understand that your suppose to put all cigars from your humi into a bag and then into the freezer for 3 days. Next, into the fridge for a day and then back into the humidor.

However - don't fridges have some sort of moisture control system? I heard someone once say that this could wreak havoc on cigars.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Here is what I did recently, It has also worked for me in the past.
Lower the Humidity on the sticks you are going to "treat" to 60RH
Place the sticks in a freezer designated ziplock style bag, get rid of as much air as possible
Place that bag in another bag of the same kind
Place the double bagged sticks in a tupperware container, be sure to burp it
Place in fridge for an hour or two making sure the temp change doesn't crack any sticks
Transfer the container and its' contents to a freezer for 24 hours
Remove to the fridge for 24 hours
Remove to a cool rom temp place for 6-12 hours
When placing back in the humi make sure the RH starts at 60 and is gradually raised to 65 or 70RH

Good Luck - I just used this for about a dozen sticks I picked up at a local B&M that had seen some dead beetles.

Thank you for your response. I don't have any beetles, I was just wondering.

I use three FREEZER bags and make sure I remove as much air as possible each time (Buy a vacuum sealer if your paranoid).

1 day in the fridge.

2 days in the freezer.

1 day in the fridge.

8 to 12 hours in my basement (steady 60°F / 60%Rh). I use my basement since its convenient.

Back in the humidor at 65%Rh.

Just smoke 'em! The crackling reminds me of a camp fire. And the flavors!!

I have done the same for beetle outbreaks.

1 day out of humi, double bagged, in tupperware, air removed (not too comfortable vac bagging though) 1 day in fridge, 2-3 days in your coldest freezer (I checked mine and it was -20) 1 day in fridge, 1 day room temp, back into humi.

Now I will say I didn't touch them again for several months to let them re-acclimate, but I did notice there was a minor degradation in flavor. This degradation was not enough for me to toss the sticks, but I would ONLY do this if you HAVE an outbreak. I would never do it just because I was nervous. I had a couple of outbreaks and had to. I still keep those sticks segregated but to this day almost a year later, beetle free. FWIW.

P.S. My outbreaks always followed shortly after being shipped on warm days.

I have done the same for beetle outbreaks.

1 day out of humi, double bagged, in tupperware, air removed (not too comfortable vac bagging though) 1 day in fridge, 2-3 days in your coldest freezer (I checked mine and it was -20) 1 day in fridge, 1 day room temp, back into humi.

Now I will say I didn't touch them again for several months to let them re-acclimate, but I did notice there was a minor degradation in flavor. This degradation was not enough for me to toss the sticks, but I would ONLY do this if you HAVE an outbreak. I would never do it just because I was nervous. I had a couple of outbreaks and had to. I still keep those sticks segregated but to this day almost a year later, beetle free. FWIW.

P.S. My outbreaks always followed shortly after being shipped on warm days.

I noticed no change in taste when I did it to my entire desktop humidor's contents after finding a beetle hole in a, in the summer traded, cigar.

I also no longer order large shipments of cigars in the summer, sticking mostly to singles and 5ers when its warm and only buying boxes in the late fall to early spring.

I use three FREEZER bags and make sure I remove as much air as possible each time (Buy a vacuum sealer if your paranoid).

1 day in the fridge.

2 days in the freezer.

1 day in the fridge.

8 to 12 hours in my basement (steady 60°F / 60%Rh). I use my basement since its convenient.

Slackers.

When I used to freeze, it was:

1. plastic wrape + aluminum foil + plastic wrap + ziploc freezer bag + plastic bag

2. stabilized box goes into veggie crisper for 24 hours

3. goes into freezer for 3-4 days

4. veggie crisper for 24 hours

5. on a table top in storage area for 24 hours

6. unwrap, inspect, store

I've not frozen anything in almost 2 years, I'd imagine.

Wilkey

When i have to freeze my gars i always cry... :(

I still freeze everything I get using the same method as Ginseng except I use a vacuum pack. No decernable change in flavor and I've been doing this for a couple of years now.

1 day in the fridge.

2 days in the freezer.

1 day in the fridge.

Slackers.

1. plastic wrape + aluminum foil + plastic wrap + ziploc freezer bag + plastic bag

Wilkey

I thought all of the wraping and plastic bags were to: 1. protect the cigars from the very low humidity in the freezer which will dry them out, and 2. protect them from picking up unwanted food odors from the fridge and freezer. Is there another purpose?

I would also think vaccume packing would pull some of the moisture out of them.

1 day in the fridge.

2 days in the freezer.

1 day in the fridge.

Slackers.

Wilkey

I thought all of the wraping and plastic bags were to: 1. protect the cigars from the very low humidity in the freezer which will dry them out, and 2. protect them from picking up unwanted food odors from the fridge and freezer. Is there another purpose?

I would also think vaccume packing would pull some of the moisture out of them.

1. Yep thats the only reason for the bags. You remove as much of the air as you can to reduce the amount of condense as they are thawing back out.

2. Why? It only removes the air in the bag, if you have a vacuum that can suck the water out of a cigar... I want her as a girlfriend :sign: