• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Masala chai

Wolfie

Alien
As the weather gets colder, I often see friends and coworkers indulging in cheap, fast food "coffee" and "tea" knockoffs that would otherwise be excellent but end up simply being passable for lack of a little care, time and quality ingredients.

Chai (or, more appropriately, masala chai) is a good example. As a matter of course, I keep the main ingredients in my desk at all times. Why not? I'll have tea throughout the year and the spices, properly stored, will keep for quite a while. While many people find it relaxing to go for a walk to the coffee shop or gas station on break, I like to stay in, keep warm and take a few moments out of my day to crush up some spices at my desk to brew up a quality cup of tea. Of course, everybody gets a little something out of it as the smell permeates the office.

Here's how I opt to warm up on a cold day:

1) 15 minutes or so before you decide to go on break, take one of two coffee cups and fill it half full of whole milk (half and half is an option, 2% is passable...Only have skim milk? Well, just don't make masala chai at all, then........ :angry: ) Place this cup on your coffee cup warming plate and let it gently warm.

2) 5 minutes before break, get a report running on your machine, read your email or in some other way occupy yourself with work that doesn't require your hands. While reading your email, take out 5 whole cloves, 1 star anise, three cardamom pods and roughly crush them. Simply out of convenience, I tend to crush them against my bare desk with the bottom of the jar I store them in. You don't want a powder, but something that resembles a coarse coffee grind:

Coffee---Coarse-THUMB.jpg

The cardamom just needs to be "opened".

3) Take for break! Take your second coffee cup and brew up some tea. This is your preference and everybody has their ritual. I prefer to fill with boiling water, add prepared spices, then measure out loose leaf black tea to taste . I use a heaping tablespoon. By this time, the water should be off the boil long enough to be just the perfect temperature. I go for 4 minutes.

4) Add raw sugar until your tea is *just* "too sweet"

5) Place a strainer atop your cup of milk and add your brewed tea. Finally, add a whole stick of cinnamon. If you want a stronger cinnamon kick, feel free to add some ground cinnamon but I personally like the gentler hint and it's a nice aesthetic touch.

6) Bring this prepared cup of masala chai to a cute girl in the office. Use the remaining half a cup of tea to make one for yourself.

Great stuff!

A friend makes this at his house.
He 'double boils' it first the water and spices, then adds the milk and brings back to a boil.
Strains and it's like desert!!!

You can also put a cinnamon stick in early, to add to the richness.

Thanks again for the reminder! :thumbs: