• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Medal of Honor winner sued over flying US Flag

Anthony

Advertising Space -- Available Here
Col. Van T. Barfoot, a Medal of Honor Recipient and Veteran of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam is being sued by his homeowners association for putting up a flagpole in front of his house against their "aesthetic guidlines."

I understand homeowners' association rules and all, but seriously? Sue one of the nation's oldest M.O.H winners, a Vet of THREE wars, over his flying the American Flag in front of his home??? Wrong.

http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=121058825

Update 12/9/09

HOA is dropping the issue, and Col. Barfoot may keep his flag. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i1X1ncbAjh_CcoLS1hd3tqVgdDvQD9CFEQBG0

I completely agree with you but I can see both sides.

On one side he lives in the neighborhood and should have known the rules.

On the other, I don't care if hes a MOH winner or some regular guy, we live in the country and it should be allowed to fly a fly anywhere in the country to show your patriotism.

People just need to relax and realize what they have because of people like hime.

Here is the website of the bottom feeders representing the homeowners association. The have an email address listed for comments so please do so.

Stupid homeowners association, I have a suggestion for these guys.

Change the rules so you CAN have a flag pole in your yard, BUT you can only fly the U.S. flag. It is the symbol of our great country, why would anyone fly anything else?

Any other flag of a different country belongs hanging on the rear view mirror of your car, if you just GOTTA show your colors
mad.gif

Change the rules so you CAN have a flag pole in your yard, BUT you can only fly the U.S. flag. It is the symbol of our great country, why would anyone fly anything else?

I rented a house once to a coworker who took advantage of the existing flagpole in the front yard to run up a Jolly Roger for parties. I got a kick out of it. I remember one party where somebody's bra made it up there...I never did find out who's they were.

It probably is illegal to restrict him from flying the flag. HOA's love to make up rules that are illegal because they think that every law on the planet is trumped with a simple document you sign without reading. It's like putting in a clause whereby any violations result in them getting a night with your wife, try and enforce it.

iirc the biggest example is them going after satellite dishes, which they have no right to restrict because the FTC/FCC use them to provide competition to cable companies.

Hopefully this guys lawyer can find a protective federal code. HOA rules were meant to keep your motorhome off blocks, not your patriotism in a closet.

You know what pisses me off, is that I'm sure some of these people that are "for" the American flag "as long as it's on a pole attached to the house" (because they're patriotic), are the ones that have said flag, but leave it out when it rains, snows, at night. Yea, I know not all people know proper flag etiquette, but it's OUR flag and deserves respect. When my son was younger, he would want to know why I would bring our flag inside during bad weather when others left theirs out...so he got a lesson in the proper treatment of the American flag. I didn't have the tenure in the Army as long as some others here, but one of the things that I took away with me was the respect I have for our flag, what it represents, and all the people who have died to preserve the freedom that our flag stands for.

Sorry for the mini rant, but these are the type of people that really piss me off. They obviously don't know, care, or understand, what this man has done to preserve their right to bitch about something they feel is an eyesore to their community.

Here is the website of the bottom feeders representing the homeowners association. The have an email address listed for comments so please do so.

Thanks for the link Ray, I am sending an email to this group and I hope others will too...... :cool:

You know what pisses me off, is that I'm sure some of these people that are "for" the American flag "as long as it's on a pole attached to the house" (because they're patriotic), are the ones that have said flag, but leave it out when it rains, snows, at night. Yea, I know not all people know proper flag etiquette, but it's OUR flag and deserves respect. When my son was younger, he would want to know why I would bring our flag inside during bad weather when others left theirs out...so he got a lesson in the proper treatment of the American flag. I didn't have the tenure in the Army as long as some others here, but one of the things that I took away with me was the respect I have for our flag, what it represents, and all the people who have died to preserve the freedom that our flag stands for.

Sorry for the mini rant, but these are the type of people that really piss me off. They obviously don't know, care, or understand, what this man has done to preserve their right to bitch about something they feel is an eyesore to their community.

Exactly!

You have got to be kidding me!

Our forefathers (and mothers) shed their blood, sacrificed their youth & innocence, sacrificed their lives so that we can have our freedom. These pinheads want to use that freedom to make flying our flag an offense?!

I don't think so.

Fly that flag with pride and f**k the HOA!

Complete Rubbish on the HOA's part. I hate my HOA such petty people. and i see that they are the same the country over. ... There has been a local radio talk show host that has made this particular fight his personal little crusade. He found the full M.O.H. citation that he received while i am no expert i know i have read and listened to more than a few of them. The wording used in his is something that i found extroidanary.

Maybe I'm not thinking about it the right way, but isn't it likely that the guy signed an agreement before moving into this area? If this is something that was of real concern to him, why in the world would he sign a contract saying he wouldn't do it? And, the HOA isn't saying that you can't fly an American flag, only that you can't put a big flagpole in the middle of the yard.

I'm surprised so many people are taking issue with this. Seems like some think that he should be able to do whatever he wants because of who he is. Don't get me wrong - I have respect for what he's done. But I don't think that means he can break rules, laws, etc., any more than the next guy. I bet that if he were pulling out in front of people, doing 20 in a 45, and not using his turn signals, there wouldn't be so many who were willing to wave it off.

Good for him. I'm glad the silly suit was dropped.
On one hand, I can understand the HOA's position, but given this man's history... a flagpole is hardly an aesthetic eyesore. It's not likely he'll be flying anything other than an American flag, and he'll be showing the flag the respect it deserves.

just another bunch of communist to piss all over the freedoms that other died for that allow them to do this haynis act in the first place. bunch of Adam Henry's. That just really torks my @$$