• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Medical Marijuana

A year or so after I was out of high school, I started working in a saw mill cutting fence boards. It was a rinky-dink operation with 3 employees. I had two accidents there. The first was cutting about 3/8 inch off the tip of my thumb, and the second was sawing down to the knuckle in my pinky. The weird thing was that both these accidents happened on two of the only days I wasn't stoned while working there. Not sure why I remember this...

This is my opinion only. Seems people just want to smoke weed. There has been a medication out there for a while that is used for the same purposes as smoking it does. I have a feeling the smoking get's people higher than the med and that is the reason people made a big push for pot.

Marinol
The medication you're referring to is not very effective and the real thing has none of it's side effects, untoward effects or restrictions because of other medical conditions, like hypertension. Please keep in mind, that at this very moment, hundreds if not thousands of people are dying of the ravages of alcohol. No one has ever, ever died from pot.

Doc.

No one has ever died from pot? I think a better phrase is no one has ever been documented as dying from smoking pot. I also think it is important to note your statement is relative. Smoking pot has many of the same risks as smoking tobacco. Ingesting the smoke of marijuana causes the same risk of COPD and emphysema. It also increases the risks of lung cancer by several times more than tobacco. So I guess if you say is death from cannabis well documented, no, but it certainly happens and is overlooked.

Jim

This is my opinion only. Seems people just want to smoke weed. There has been a medication out there for a while that is used for the same purposes as smoking it does. I have a feeling the smoking get's people higher than the med and that is the reason people made a big push for pot.

Marinol
The medication you're referring to is not very effective and the real thing has none of it's side effects, untoward effects or restrictions because of other medical conditions, like hypertension. Please keep in mind, that at this very moment, hundreds if not thousands of people are dying of the ravages of alcohol. No one has ever, ever died from pot.

Doc.

No one has ever died from pot? I think a better phrase is no one has ever been documented as dying from smoking pot. I also think it is important to note your statement is relative. Smoking pot has many of the same risks as smoking tobacco. Ingesting the smoke of marijuana causes the same risk of COPD and emphysema. It also increases the risks of lung cancer by several times more than tobacco. So I guess if you say is death from cannabis well documented, no, but it certainly happens and is overlooked.

Jim

I've never seen or heard of a study that documents anything close to this. Got some more info?

He in Holland you go to the coffee shop and buy this stuff legal!
You can even use it as a medicine! :sign:

I do agree with Doc, but also with Jim.
The weed they grow in Holland (indoors and illegal) gets better and better.
The content on THC in it gets higher and higher much more than it used to be.
This is problematic because people now DO get addicted to it and it is documented to cause psychiatric
problems (schizophrenia). Just my 0.02$

btw when we got the smoking ban the coffee shops were exempt!

Rene

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!
Where do you get your facts from, because I'd really be interested to read or see them?
The only hard stats I ever heard of was from a government study from around the 70,s that claimed smoking marijuana killed brain cells.
Turns out it was a true claim, BUT it turns out that the monkeys with the dying brain cells were forced to wear a gas mask type of apparatus where huge amounts of marijuana were forced in with a large tube affixed to it. The amounts of smoke were so large and for such a length of time that the test subjects basically asphyxiated on it with no oxygen..........The so called scientist took this and said "Smoking marijuana kills brain cells."

In another study in the 90's in regards to lung cancer and emphysema...... The Government had to use words like "May cause" and "Should" because they could come up with nothing, and there still has been nothing documented to this day unlike cigarettes.

Sure! Excessive use like anything else may not be good for anyone, even food.

The documentary pasted below is a good watch. Has a lot of good information and facts without getting all Government conspiracy theory on us.
The Union

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!
Where do you get your facts from, because I'd really be interested to read or see them?
The only hard stats I ever heard of was from a government study from around the 70,s that claimed smoking marijuana killed brain cells.
Turns out it was a true claim, BUT it turns out that the monkeys with the dying brain cells were forced to wear a gas mask type of apparatus where huge amounts of marijuana were forced in with a large tube affixed to it. The amounts of smoke were so large and for such a length of time that the test subjects basically asphyxiated on it with no oxygen..........The so called scientist took this and said "Smoking marijuana kills brain cells."

In another study in the 90's in regards to lung cancer and emphysema...... The Government had to use words like "May cause" and "Should" because they could come up with nothing, and there still has been nothing documented to this day unlike cigarettes.

The documentary pasted below is a good watch. Has a lot of good information and facts without getting all Government conspiracy theory on us.
The Union

There are ways to get the medical benefits of marijuana without actually smoking it. THC, the psychoactive chemical component of marijuana, is fat soluble. Go make some THC butter and get to cooking. Vaporization has also been shown to be an effective, relatively safe delivery system.

-Mark

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!

The Union

There are ways to get the medical benefits of marijuana without actually smoking it. THC, the psychoactive chemical component of marijuana, is fat soluble. Go make some THC butter and get to cooking. Vaporization has also been shown to be an effective, relatively safe delivery system.

-Mark

At the end of the day it still has the same intoxicating effect. The reason this argument exists at all in our society is not the presumed cancer causing effects of the smoke, but the euphoria inducing effects of THC. If it was a benign pill that offered all the stated medical benefits would there be any discussion here at all? I doubt it, society would be lauding the fabulous new drug and one of the big pharmaceuticals would be spending butt loads on advertising while making tons of cash.

BTW John, I'm pretty sure smoking pot kills brain cells, I don't need a scientist to suffocate a monkey to tell me that. ;)

Cause of death or health issues aside, under the influence impairs reactions, perception, and judgment.

States who legalize (which I think is a step in the right direction. Almost like those few states who have taken sodomy, oral sex, and vibrators off the books as crimes) should be required to implement some form of test for determining when someone is driving or operating heavy equipment under the influence of pot.

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!

The Union

-Mark

At the end of the day it still has the same intoxicating effect. The reason this argument exists at all in our society is not the presumed cancer causing effects of the smoke, but the euphoria inducing effects of THC. If it was a benign pill that offered all the stated medical benefits would there be any discussion here at all? I doubt it, society would be lauding the fabulous new drug and one of the big pharmaceuticals would be spending butt loads on advertising while making tons of cash.

BTW John, I'm pretty sure smoking pot kills brain cells, I don't need a scientist to suffocate a monkey to tell me that. ;)
All I'm asking for is hard scientific fact to prove it............Something other than a study the government conducted. ;)

Why would the big pharmaceuticals want to see it legalized when any Tom Dick and Harry could manufacture it?............I have one word for you Jay.......Lobbyist.

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!

The Union

-Mark

All I'm asking for is hard scientific fact to prove it............Something other than a study the government conducted. ;)

Why would the big pharmaceuticals want to see it legalized when any Tom Dick and Harry could manufacture it?............I have one word for you Jay.......Lobbyist.

Unfortunately the only research is either government conducted or sanctioned so the results will always swing in the direction the govt wants it. Any independent research would probably be shut down immediately by a DEA raid.

My point was if it was a benign pill instead of a psychoactive plant it would be lauded and a large corporate entity would be exploiting the benefits for profit.

Lobbyist you say.... Hmmm... It probably beats the hell out of working for a living. ;)

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!

The Union

John,

I do not have alot of time this morning to find all the info I would like, but I found one study that was conducted in the UK. Many nations more liberal than us are doing the research, but have not finished yet-

Cannabis

It is also important to note that you can easily twist and spin the data from any hard research study to support either side of the equation. There are those that are pro marijuana and those that are against marijuana. Though many studies are not definitive I am somewhere in the middle. My statement was only to point out that marijauna does have cancer causing substances, and that the issue is not well documented. I will not argue against the fact that THC has some wonderful medical benefits, but so do chemo drugs, but no company has been able to develop a delivery system that is as effective as the good old fashion smoking of marijuana. Smoking anything is clearly harmful-

Jim

There has yet to be, to my knowledge, an anywhere near scientific study that claimed marijuana use had any lasting effects, even regular use.

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!

The Union

John,

I do not have alot of time this morning to find all the info I would like, but I found one study that was conducted in the UK. Many nations more liberal than us are doing the research, but have not finished yet-

Cannabis

It is also important to note that you can easily twist and spin the data from any hard research study to support either side of the equation. There are those that are pro marijuana and those that are against marijuana. Though many studies are not definitive I am somewhere in the middle. My statement was only to point out that marijauna does have cancer causing substances, and that the issue is not well documented. I will not argue against the fact that THC has some wonderful medical benefits, but so do chemo drugs, but no company has been able to develop a delivery system that is as effective as the good old fashion smoking of marijuana. Smoking anything is clearly harmful-

Jim

I wish I could find it Jim, but was unable to as my Googlefu is weak.

There was a study I read a while back that was conducted in the UK as you pointed out. It found that "excessive" smoking of marijuana could lead to paralysis of the cilia in the lungs and this could lead to other problems.

But, there were no links to any cancer causing properties caused by "inhaling heated natural plant matter into the lungs."

Bottom line like I said, everything we enjoy that alters the state of mind like alcohol, marijuana, cigars, and even food can be bad if used to excess. They can all have ill effects on ones health if you do not know how to moderate and be responsible.

I haven't really been able to partake since my younger days because it has not been worth losing a job over, but I have always believed I'd pick pot over the effects of alcohol if both were legal.

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!

The Union

-Mark

We clearly belong to different societies and understand the pharmaceutical industry in dramatically contrasting ways.

-Mark

P.S. On a side note, I also see how this conversation, civil as it's been thus far, can turn wayward. I'm happy to have this discussion with anybody but I'm not exactly inclined to do it here.

Marinol

Doc.

Jim
Really!

The Union

John,

Cannabis

Jim

I wish I could find it Jim, but was unable to as my Googlefu is weak.

There was a study I read a while back that was conducted in the UK as you pointed out. It found that "excessive" smoking of marijuana could lead to paralysis of the cilia in the lungs and this could lead to other problems.

But, there were no links to any cancer causing properties caused by "inhaling heated natural plant matter into the lungs."

Bottom line like I said, everything we enjoy that alters the state of mind like alcohol, marijuana, cigars, and even food can be bad if used to excess. They can all have ill effects on ones health if you do not know how to moderate and be responsible.

I haven't really been able to partake since my younger days because it has not been worth losing a job over, but I have always believed I'd pick pot over the effects of alcohol if both were legal.

Make no bones about it when I was smoking pot my life was not at all in turmoil when compared to the other substances. There is also no mistaking the fact alcohol is clearly the front runner for destruction and is perfectly legal. As most will contest to there is simply not enough data available to make an informed decision about marijuana. Mostly just personal expereince. The stigma related to this drug is driven by laws that are simply out of date and not backed by long term study. To each his own :).

Jim

I personally don't find that link very helpful, Jim, there's no data to support it, just facts put on a website with no scientific backing. Hopefully as more and more Universities gain access to marijuana licenses for studies some more information will come out. I know my university is in the process(or was) of applying for a license to grow for scientific study.

I personally don't find that link very helpful, Jim, there's no data to support it, just facts put on a website with no scientific backing. Hopefully as more and more Universities gain access to marijuana licenses for studies some more information will come out. I know my university is in the process(or was) of applying for a license to grow for scientific study.

I agree most of the information is with small control groups over a short period of time, but the point I was really trying to make is if you smoke anything at all it is not going to be beneficial to the lungs. Smoke inhalation of anykind is not healthy. And it is documented that there are many adverse health problems associated with marijuana. Here are several studies-

1 Herkenham M, Lynn A, Little MD, et al. Cannabinoid receptor localization in the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 87(5):1932–1936, 1990.

2 Pope HG, Gruber AJ, Hudson JI, Huestis MA, Yurgelun-Todd D. Neuropsychological performance in long-term cannabis users. Arch Gen Psychiatry 58(10):909–915, 2001.

3 Rodríguez de Fonseca F, Carrera MRA, Navarro M, Koob GF, Weiss F. Activation of corticotropin-releasing factor in the limbic system during cannabinoid withdrawal. Science 276(5321):2050–2054, 1997.

4 Diana M, Melis M, Muntoni AL, Gessa GL. Mesolimbic dopaminergic decline after cannabinoid withdrawal. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 95(17):10269–10273, 1998.

5 Budney AJ, Vandrey RG, Hughes JR, Thostenson JD, Bursac Z. Comparison of cannabis and tobacco withdrawal: Severity and contribution to relapse. J Subst Abuse Treat, e-publication ahead of print, March 12, 2008.

6 Moore TH, Zammit S, Lingford-Hughes A, et al. Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: A systematic review. Lancet 370 (9584):319–328, 2007.

7 Mittleman MA, Lewis RA, Maclure M, Sherwood JB, Muller JE. Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 103(23):2805–2809, 2001.

8 Tashkin DP. Smoked marijuana as a cause of lung injury. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63(2):92–100, 2005.

9 Hashibe M, Morgenstern H, Cui Y, et al. Marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers: Results of a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15(10):1829–1834, 2006.

10 Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, Sadler M, Friedman GD. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596–601, 1993.

11 Gruber AJ, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Yurgelun-Todd D. Attributes of long-term heavy cannabis users: A case control study. Psychological Med 33(8):1415–1422, 2003.

As John stated I think there is no clear argument either way. I will say from a personal standpoint that I had a very close friend smoke marijuana, become extremely paranoid and commit suicide. Do you think that I can prove that it was the marijuana that caused his suicidal ideation, no. Do you think the newspapaer said he got blazed out of his mind and as a result killed him self, no. It just said he killed himself without explanation of why. I think this says volumes. I will say that it makes me passionate about the adverse problems associated with the use of this substance.

Jim