• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mexican cigars?

SyrLinus

Virtualized Security Geek
Reaction score
As it happens the company has asked if I will go to Mexico City in a couple of weeks to do some work for a week. I figured perhaps when I there I can try some local fare (cigars). I was curious if anyone has suggestions or experience with Mexican cigars?

Te-Amo is the only Mexican Puro i know

Wrapper: Mexican
Binder: Mexican
Filler: Mexican

For many years the Mexican Govt. prohibited the import of foreign tobacco. That law has now been lifted and there are some pretty good multi national blends being produced there now. Look for Te-Amo and A.Turrent, 2 of the finer offerings from Mexico. I'm not going to blow sunshine up your can and say they are the greatest cigars on the market. As most people will explain, Mexican cigars are an acquired taste. If you want the true definition of "EARTHY" flavors in a cigar these will do the trick. try them for yourself and let us know what you think. :thumbs:

Thanks for the input and jcritt: I'll look out for those ones and see what I get. Hopefully I might find something good. :)

I'm all for trying local products when I travel, though Te Amos and other Mexican Puros are readily available in the US.

Assuming that you're a Canadian citizen, there would be nothing illegal about your smoking Habanos while in Mexico. Just wouldn't be lawful to bring them back to the US. Lucky dog. :D

La Casa Del Habano would be the only place I would buy them in Mexico. If, you know, I could.

I'm all for trying local products when I travel, though Te Amos and other Mexican Puros are readily available in the US.

Assuming that you're a Canadian citizen, there would be nothing illegal about your smoking Habanos while in Mexico. Just wouldn't be lawful to bring them back to the US. Lucky dog. :D

La Casa Del Habano would be the only place I would buy them in Mexico. If, you know, I could.

Why is there an embargo on Mexican smokes? I thought it was only Cuban??

Why is there an embargo on Mexican smokes? I thought it was only Cuban??

You are correct. jcritt mentioned that the Mexican gov't used to disallow the importation of foreign tobacco, so one could only obtain Mexican puros in Mexico. However, others mentioned that if you were, as a Canadian citizen, to purchase Habanos while abroad, you would not be able to take them back into the US.

Ok. Now I'm confused. Why wouldn't I be allowed to bring back the cigars if there is no embargo? I live in the US now and any cigars brought back (maybe 2-5) would be strictly personal us. :)

You may bring Mexican cigars into the US. You may not bring Cuban cigars into the US.

If you are a Canadian citizen ;) you may legally smoke Cuban cigars in Mexico. If you are a citizen of the US, you cannot do so legally.

Do not buy Cuban cigars in Mexico unless you buy them from La Casa Del Habano. There are fakes everywhere.

You may bring Mexican cigars into the US. You may not bring Cuban cigars into the US.

If you are a Canadian citizen ;) you may legally smoke Cuban cigars in Mexico. If you are a citizen of the US, you cannot do so legally.

Do not buy Cuban cigars in Mexico unless you buy them from La Casa Del Habano. There are fakes everywhere.

Ah.. I wasn't looking to get Cubans specifically (but I supposed I could try one or two while there). I was looking at Mexican specific cigars. :)

As it happens the company has asked if I will go to Mexico City in a couple of weeks to do some work for a week. I figured perhaps when I there I can try some local fare (cigars). I was curious if anyone has suggestions or experience with Mexican cigars?

DON'T.

Just... dont.

-Jess.

Agreed. There is one in Tijuana, one in Cancun, and one somewhere on the Yucatan.

-Jess.

Apologies if I caused any confusion...point being, the major Mexican brands (Te Amo, Cruz Real, etc) are readily available in the US, whereas Habanos aren't.

I've not really enjoyed the Mexican puros (all-Mexican tobacco) I've smoked that much - they tend to have a funky note to them that I don't like. Te Amo sold a brand circa the late 90's called New York, New York that I thought was ok. Don't know if they still make those.

When I went to Encenada in Sept, I couldn't believe all of the fakes. Every other shop practically sold "real cuban cigars". Many were sitting out on top of the counter, bands a different shade of yellow/orange, cigars all different sizes, wrappers falling off, it was pretty bad.

Bring your own cigars to MX, or like the others said, go to an LCDH store and you'll get the real deal.

Thanks for all the insight. As it happens it's gone from a single week in Mexico to two weeks. I'll be bringing some of my own down and will look for a LCDH store. I'm not as interested in a Cuban as much as I am in trying Mexican specific cigars. I did find a website that lists the grows/manufacturers ( Link here ) so I have an idea of what to look for. It should be an interesting adventure I think. :)

I had a couple of Cruz Real's a few years back that were pretty good. However, on my various trips to Mexico (Mexico City, Monterrey and other places not specifically for tourists) I could not find them so I just smoke those from the LCDH and was much more satisfied.

I'll watch for the Cruz Real's when down there (if I do get some do you want a few?)? I'm bringing a couple of travel humidors with me (about 30 cigars total between the two to return with).

Sounds like LCDH is really the only option.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but Te-Amo's, are probably the worst smelling cigar in existence. Simply nasty.

Doc.