• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Miracle Berry

I was wondering about that myself. They apparently have their most profound effect on foods that are acidic--is it even possible for smoke to be acidic or basic? I failed out of organic chemistry midway through the year, so I'm not about to try to venture a guess.

I plan on poking around to see if I can buy them locally, but if not, I think I'll pick up a handful online later on this summer. I hope that my "flavor tripping" party is far less pretentious seeming than the one featured in the article...

These berries sound like they're made for a "smoke your dog rockets party". ;)

I wonder if it makes that vintage Chateau Moutoun Rothschild taste like Thunderbird. ???

The source cited in the article, www.miraclefruitman.com is located here in South Florida. I've got an email out to him asking whether they're available locally and if so, whether the minimum order size is waived. On the website, the minimum order is 30 berries at $2 apiece with a $30 shipping charge.

If you get some on the cheap let us know, I would love to try a couple and see what they are actually like...

I read that article, but hadn't thought of trying it with a cigar. I'm very tempted now, i think I'm gonna try to get my friends to pitch in and buy a 30 pack, if it happens I'll smoke a cigar or two and see what happens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/28/dining/28flavor.html

This berry apparently alters your taste buds temporarily and makes everything much sweeter - it's an interesting read. I'd be interested to see what happens when you smoke a cigar after eating one of these.

So it's going make all cigars taste like Lars Tetans and Acid?

or

.....what if you and your lady.....“popped one in your mouth and scraped the pulp off the seed, swirled it around and held it in your mouth for about a minute and you’re ready to go.”...before you got busy one night in the bedroom . :love: .....hummmmm

I'd like to try one or two. Any idea if you can grow a plant from the seed?

Wilkey

I wonder how port wine would taste after ingesting some of these.

I think maybe the Monkey is working on it?

Wilkey

Still waiting on a reply to my email. The dude's website had a little 'please bear with us--we're very busy due to the NYT article' disclaimer on it.

I'll be out of town and away from computers (AMA races in Elkhart Lake, WI) from Thursday through Sunday, so depending on when (if) he replies, it might be a few days for me to update everyone.

There is only a P.O. box listed as an address, otherwise I'd take a field trip and go check things out in person.

The above link posted by AA says that they're out of supply at the moment and expect stocks to be replenished in 'late 2008', but if anyone else manages to get their hands on a seed or two, I'd be more than happy to go plant it outside, HOA rules be damned (it pays to be on the board...) The site says the seeds are very short lived, so mail them to me at your earliest convenience. I will try my best not to kill any plants, but I make no promises. I readily admit that my thumbs are closer to brown than green. In the alternative, someone who is not prone to killing vegetation through neglect may have some luck raising it indoors, at least according to the supplemental information linked from AA's link.

Wilkey--you seem like you've got a bit of expertise when it comes to chemistry. Any thoughts on whether smoke can have an acidic nature?

Well,

Smoke contains the carbon dioxide product of combustion and that dissolved in water (saliva) will form acidic species such as carbonic acid so I'd say that on that basis, it would tend to be acidic.

Wilkey

Still waiting on a reply to my email. I noticed a phone number on the dude's website and all I got was an answering machine telling me to visit the website.

I'll continue to investigate the situation and report back if and when things develop...