• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Missing Warranty Seal?

Thanks for the info, Wilkey. Hope this posts despite the forum being as old as it is...

Some questions:

What's the point of posting the photo comparing the legit versus counterfeit labels on the boxes? What makes the one on the right counterfeit? Is the box a pre-2006? If so, then it makes sense; if post-2006, what makes it fake?

To that end, you discuss very little regarding the serial number and the effect uv has on it. according to some sources, the numerals should go black under UV and the letters remain red; in other photos/examples I have seen the letters go black and the numbers are vibrant red. Is either ok/legit? And in the photo of legit vesus counterfeit, neither serial numbers change color under the UV. HMMM....

Hey squirrel1961, why don't you post a proper introduction thread and tell us a little about yourself.....??

B.B.S.

Thanks for the info. I learned a lot.

Wilkey I think I have found my post retirement calling. Can you recommend an accredited educational program on this? LOL

PhD in cigar Studies.

Alas,

We're probably 50 years too late to get any formal education in tobacco science. I could be wrong, but back in the first half of the 20th century, there was quite a lot of peer-reviewed tobacco science and research being carried out in the universities.

Wilkey

PS. I wonder what it is that keeps tobacco and cigar research from attaining the same boutique status as viticulture.

Alas,

We're probably 50 years too late to get any formal education in tobacco science. I could be wrong, but back in the first half of the 20th century, there was quite a lot of peer-reviewed tobacco science and research being carried out in the universities.

Wilkey

PS. I wonder what it is that keeps tobacco and cigar research from attaining the same boutique status as viticulture.
Unfortunately cigars have been painted with the same brush as cigarettes, it's smoking. There is no longer any benefit to an individual to study tobacco science and the like. Nor would it grant any credibility to
the house of learning. In fact, it would probably degrade the establishment.

Such a pity, cigars taste, oh so sweet.

Brian

An astute observation as always, Brian. :thumbs:

Perhaps some day in the future, the major tobacco growers and cigar makers will establish and fund an institute dedicated to the cigar in all its aspects. There is a great deal of learning that can be shared and the overall progress in the industry could benefit. Perhaps something akin to the API for the oil and fuel industry.

Wilkey

I'm sure that most of the agricultural universities have archives and research on tobacco. It still is a very large crop for the US.

Here is a 2003 report on it:

Most reporting is in the negative, because the majority of the product is used for the production of cigarettes.

As for the seals, Professor W is correct as to the multiple variations of seals, papers, numeric schematics for serial numbers and just the lack of consistency overall. It is an imprecise science that has been documented by many. Always a great topic of discussion.

Thank you for that link, Anthony. It's significant that the majority of US production serves cigarette production with lower tier (non-premium and machine made) cigars taking up a good portion of the remainder.

I would love to find a good comparative history of tobacco in relation to other archeo-cultural commodities such as wine and leavened bread. Those goods provide sustenance and have done so for thousands of years originating in the old world. Tobacco also provides sustenance of a sort but seems to really be a product of the New World.

Wilkey