• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mixing 65% and 70% beads

Agreed that this is interesting data, but I wish we had some frame of reference as to where the KLH and the Viper beads compare to this data. I'm guessing the gel refers to the not bead silica that appears like jelly when hydrated. I can understand why its performance was poor since there would only be very little surface area as compared to beads. Likewise, the bead silica maintains significantly more surface area and is able to absorb/desorb much more efficiently.

I'm less concerned now about whether a metal salt is used as a conditioner. It could eventually be corrosive to the hygro circuitry and metal box clasps, but that would take years.

Has anyone been able to determine the "type" of silica gel that the KLH and beads are? Reading 3.2 points towards three specific "types" of Silica gel used for their testing. Are these just brand names used in the museum industry? I guess I'm trying to understand if and how the KLH silica gel is manufactured different than the Silica gel beads and if they are the same or different than the Silica Gel used for the article. <snip>

silica gel=bead

:thumbs:

nullsmurf - Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you are confusing Silca Gel with Crystal Gel. KLH is not crystal gel and is a bead as shooter has said. The biggest difference I see in KLH and the other beads are the size of the beads. KLH has much larger beads.

Crystal Gel is another interesting humidifying product but totally different working properties. For the sake of keeping this on the bead topic we should prob leave that discussion for another thread.

The part that blew me away was that an OUNCE of the brand name beads in the pdf was equal to 700 square meters of surface area. Phenominal!

Agreed...... throw that bit of info out at the next cocktail party and watch the expressions. ;)

the low end product mentioned in the pdf is described as "gel". In context, they are all silica based products. I had to make the leap, but you're right. Like I said, I can't see how to tie Viper or KLH to the article. This thread has been enlightening.

There's a whole lot of technical discussion about the minutia of Crystal Kitty vs "museum-grade" beads.
In my experience so far, once you soak a cup of them and mix it with a 1/2 cup of dry ones, they're "conditioned" within a day if kept in a plastic bag.

I've got both the "brand name" in one cooler, and "kitty litter" in two others, and they act identically.

There are TWO differences I've observed over time.

1. The museum beads are delivered in a conditioned state, so you can soak-em and go. Vs. the Kitty litter which requires that "complex" step above. Of course some of us eat at buffets, some like our meals brought to us. So there's something for everyone.

2. (And this has NOT been discussed much here) The museum beads are spherical, much more uniform in size, whereas the kitty litter is coarse, and varies in size from large crystals of perhaps 1 - 2mm across to a gritty "sand". If you put the litter in a plastic grid humidification device, you might get grit into your humidor. But if you use a "butter tub" or small tupperware-type container with the lid cut out and nylon stocking across the top, you should have no problems with it.

As I've said before, there's NOTHING wrong with either method. The "museum" beads are an expense some justify for lots of reasons, it's just that "a little easier" is the only one I've run across that "holds water." :sign:

Exquisicat pearls are bead shaped if you haven't come across those. They are about twice the size of the musuem beads.

ive read this whole thread and the articles, and decided to build my first coolidor using the kitty litter bead method. Seeing that my stock is not as large as most, i believe it may be worth a try. here is my shopping list for in the morning, let me know if you guys think i forgot something.

Cooler
Exquisit cat crystals
Nylon panty hose
Foam oasis
Spray bottle
Distilled water

will post finishing pictures

ive read this whole thread and the articles, and decided to build my first coolidor using the kitty litter bead method. Seeing that my stock is not as large as most, i believe it may be worth a try. here is my shopping list for in the morning, let me know if you guys think i forgot something.

Cooler
Exquisit cat crystals
Nylon panty hose
Foam oasis
Spray bottle
Distilled water

will post finishing pictures

don't get the crytstals get the pearls...

Been using the KLH in my "beverage/coolidor" for quite some time now. I have watched the humidity dip low when the cooling unit kicks on but within 5 minutes the humidity is back to where I "set" the beds. The KLH was the more economical choice for me when I went to the "coolidor", but to each his own.

I've heard you can use antifreeze instead of kitty litter, and it's even cheaper.

Yea I have never seen a cat eat KLH, the antifreeze gets em quicker.

Anybody know where you can get the pearls? All I can find are the crystals.