• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MMA

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
I saw there were some old threads for past UFC events, so apparently there are some MMA fans here. Any upcoming fights interest anyone? I just saw that Nate Marquardt was ruled medically ineligible for the headlining bout at UFC on Versus right before the weigh ins. That sucks. Nate is one of my favorite fighters. I'm not sure the cut to WW was a smart idea, though. He's a pretty big guy and cuts a ton to make MW, as it is. I saw him fight Okami (unsuccessfully, unfortunately) last year here in Germany. I was hoping that he'd get back in a title hunt, though I don't think that is going to happen again any time soon. Oh well...

Rashad vs "Mr. Wonderful" Phil Davis will be good IMO.

Also want to see John Bones Jones fight again. He reminds me a lot of Anderson Silva (whom has been my favorite fighter since I first saw him in like 2006 or something..)

Rashad vs "Mr. Wonderful" Phil Davis will be good IMO.

Also want to see John Bones Jones fight again. He reminds me a lot of Anderson Silva (whom has been my favorite fighter since I first saw him in like 2006 or something..)

Rampage gonna kill him. Then Rashard gonna kill Rampage. Then Rua gonna kill Rashard :laugh:

I want to see Shogun embarrass Forrest the way that Andy did, though I don't think it's going to happen. I was a bit disappointed to see JBJ beat Rua, but I'm not upset about it. I really like Shogun, but I think that Jones will be a stable champ for a long time at LHW. I really don't think that Rampage is going to bring much for him, honestly. I'm not bashing Rampage, but he's become a complete counter striker, and Jones has shown he can defend just about anything. I think with his long legs he will just kick the hell out of Jackson's legs the way that Forrest Griffin did a few years ago. I don't know if it will be a KO, but I think that Jones gets the unanimous decision, at worst.

I don't pay attention to the hype and drama around fights (Rashard/Bones), I just want to see the fisticuffs...

I can't wait for JDS/Cain, either. I think that is going to be a great fight. At the moment, I think we might get a new HW champ, too.

Dos Santos is a pretty amazing HW fighter. Quick as can be, but I'm not sure he'll be able to defeat Cain. I'm glad to see Lesnar off the podium (though I don't wish illness on anyone).

I just want to watch Bader bring an end to Tito's career.

^^THIS

Man, I can't stand Tito.

Back to the OP, though, I'm really bummed about the whole Marquardt thing. I guess the PA commission is actually going to hold a conference this afternoon about it. Dana is pissed. Nate popped positive earlier in his UFC career, so this would be strike number two, if that's what it really is. To be cut on the spot, this sounds like something more serious, though. Not to mention that blood work takes time to come back. Lots of speculation (and ONLY speculation at this point, of course... read as: unfounded rumor), is that Nate was caught using a prosthetic pee pee to pee pee. I sure hope that's not it. I remember a WWF wrestler got caught trying to do that a while back and was caught. That's some serious stuff if it is true. I'm sure it's just rumor being thrown around in lieu of actual missing facts at this point, however. Nate is one of my favorite fighters, so I hope it's nothing he can't bounce back from. I would love to see him take the Strikeforce WW title now that Diaz has vacated it to fight GSP.

I remember watching Tito's first fight in the UFC when he came in as an alternate and had a controversial fight with Guy Mezger. I didn't like him then, and I don't like him now. My favorite all-time fight was watching Frank Shamrock (my favorite all-time fighter) beat the crap out of him. The only thing Tito's done to win any respect from me was when he was on TUF. He invested himself in his team, and obviously cared about them. I'll never be a fan, but I don't hate him as much as I once did.

Leban vs Silva tonight. This should be a great fight. But as we know from the Kongo - Barry fight, anything can happen.

Overall, I think it was a pretty good night of fights. I'm not a Faber fan, but I really think that Dominick Cruz is a douchenozzle that needs to be taken down a notch. I was disappointed that Faber couldn't get it done. He had a good strategy, he's just about three inches too short to effectively use it against Cruz!

I like Denis Siver, and was pulling for him to win against Wiman. However, from what I saw (I haven't rewatched it closer), it was a BS decision that should have gone Wiman's way. And for BS, I really think that the prelim fight they showed after the main should have gotten FOTN instead of Faber/Cruz. Those guys were grappling their asses off. For their first fight in the Big Show, I think they both did well.

I love Wand, but it's time for him to retire. I hate how many people say that the UFC is obviously better than PRIDEFC was, because of the way that the former PRIDE guys are getting handled now. They heyday of PRIDE with Nog, Wanderlei, Shogun, Fedor, Cro Cop and others was, what... five or six years ago? How many of the top guys in the UFC in 2005 are still champions or contenders? None of them. It's a fast-moving sport with a short shelf life for those involved. Those guys in PRIDE, and especially the Chute Box guys, all have aged well beyond their years due to the punishment they endured in the PRIDE ring. Nog and Wandy are going to become like Ali in their middle age.

I was hoping that Leben would call Stann out. If they fought again, I think it would be a drastically different outcome. Leben was a zombie during their first fight. He was very physically unwell and in no shape to fight.

Unstoppable, no. As close as it gets? Yeah...

I really love watching Silva fight. I suppose I could see Dana having Silva move up to Light Heavyweight. Afterall, who else is there in the Middleweight class to contend with Silva? Michael Bisping? RRRIIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!

It wouldn't surprise me to see Silva fight Shogun, then the winner of that fight to fight the winner of the Jon Bones v. Rampage fight.

I still think the one person with what it takes to beat Silva would be Lyoto Machida. Though they'll never fight.

Anderson has said he doesn't want to make a move or a run at 205. I would personally LOVE to see Silva tool Bisping. As for the Hendo fight, Dan has also said he has no desire to make a run at MW, anymore, either. That leaves a catchweight exhibition, and I am not a fan of catchweights. Same thing with how some want to see a GSP/Andy fight, even if it is at a catchweight. Not I. I'd love to see Hendo/Vitor. Again, however, that leaves a weight class dilemma.

Anderson Silva is just in a class by himself, though he's not unbeatable. Chael Sonnen showed that. Sure, Silva had messed up ribs and Sonnen may or may not have illegally been using some sort of TRT PED. He showed HOW to do it, even if he didn't get the job done, himself. Only problem with that, is that Sonnen has no BJJ defense, and nobody else in the weight class has Sonnen's level of pure wrestling. I'd like to see Sonnen embarrass Stann by exposing his lack of ground game, then rematch with Andy. After that, if Bones gets by Rampage (which I think he will), I have a feeling that Dana White will REALLY push for a Silva/Bones matchup.

Bones/Silva would be a hellacious matchup. It would be completely crazy. I'd be rooting for Silva all the way but wouldn't be sure who would win.

How are you gonna have a MMA thread with out mention of BJ Penn....you are all fired!

Tim

BJ Penn was a great fighter. I still think Maynard is going to have that title though. I've never really been a Frankie Edgar fan.

I was of course kidding, I have not kept up with MMA for about the past year, but need to get back into following it.

BJ was my first man crush.....He was a beast at 155, moving up was one of the worst things he ever did.

Is he even fighting anymore?????

Tim

His last fight was a draw and the one before that he beat Matt Hughes.... Not sure how much longer he'll be around..