• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moist tobacco

Woo

Hi there,

My cousin gave me some tobacco, which was years old and dry, very dry.

So I slippeda piece of apple into the packet to try and moisten it up, but I think I may've let it get a little TOO moist... Is there some kind of gauge for how moist it should be? It lights, but it seems to go out very often, which is a bit of a bummer

You probably used too big a chunk of apple. About a thumbnail-sized sliver will usually do.

Pipe tobacco should be around the same humidity as a good cigar. You know when cigar-smokers roll them next to their ear? That's to listen out for the sharp rustling an over-dry cigar makes. And yes, an over-moist pipe baccy will keep going out, although there are many other possible reasons. Just leave it open to the air for a day or two. Think Goldilocks's Three Bears. You want to copy Mummy Bear!

To be honest, no :p I don't know much (if anything) about cigars, nor their humidity. I think they feel alright now... they don't feel overly moist to the touch, but I'll leave it to breathe overnight, and see how it is in the morning.

Basically, if any of the baccy sticks to your fingers, it's wet. That's Gutterpipe's rule of thumb. (HEE HEEEE!!)

Cool, good rule to know. Thanks.

I formatted and lost all my bookmarks and have been on hiatus getting my computer back online.

Good to be back.

Nah, I ran out of money :p

I'm still tossing it up whether I should or not. They're on fairly regularly, so it's not as though I'll miss out if I choose not to this week but decide I want them next week.

Maybe I will... just for the hell of it next month.

The FAQ's on the Pease and ASP websites recommend a humidity level of no greater than 15%. One of them also states, emphatically, that dried out tobacco will never regain its original flavor, even when re-humidified.

I don't think that having it stick to your fingers is a sign that it's too wet; it may be that it was cased with something with a high sugar content and that's now reconstituted.

My .02.

Hmm, interesting thoughts.

Oh well, I don't know if this pouch is any good or not, but regardless, it's good to know the proper way to keep and handle my tobacco.

With respect, Psyktek, I think you missed my point. I was giving a direct answer to a question regarding how could some dried-out tobacco be salvaged, not how could its original flavour be restored, which is obviously impossible. The apple method seems the best in my opinion, but if it thereafter sticks to your fingers it needs sitting in the open for a day or two. The sweetness of the apple seems to bleed into the tobacco, which can counteract the bitterness you can get in an over-dry tobacco. And I'd be fascinated to know how a person in their living room could work out the percentage of humidity their tobacco's at. Answer: give it a bit of apple, then wait til it doesn't stick to your fingers. Voila.

I think you read too much into my post. Certainly apple is a great way to remoisten pipe tobacco; I use it myself. I was simply supplying some additional information; he was free to take it for what it's worth (free) :)

And if you have a multistation temp/humidity system, you could have a sensor in whatever container you store your pipe tobacco in and read the humidity from your desk (which is what I do with my cigar storage).

Ah well, there's your answer, Woo. You want a Multistation temp/humidiwhatwasthequestionagain? system. I just make sure it doesn't stick to my fingers. Seems to work.

:) That just reminded me of something. My brother's an IT guy, and my dad was having some problems with his computer, and so they were on the phone, trying to solve the problem.

My brother asked if dad had connected something technical-sounding, and his reply was "Yeah, and I hooked up a wigwam to the duck's canadget, but that didn't seem to help".

Guess you had to be there. :p

Genuinely hilarious, Woo. The manager of my netcaff just came over to see what I was laughing at so much. (And that includes your stuff, Psyktek.) I think the word "canadget" is going to permanently enter my vocabulary.

Quick and easy tobacco moisture check:

Pinch a bit between your fingers,

If it sticks togather, too moist.

If it springs apart, just right.

If it crumbles, to dry.

Now, if it's too moist, just let it air out a bit.

Just right, smoke it!

To dry, toss it. Pipe tobacco is cheap compared to cigars, if you lit a $5 cigar and it was too dry you would toss it, Right?

No. I'd crumble the cigar, put it to bed with a sliver of apple, then stick that in my pipe and smoke it.