• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mojito Ingredients ?

symyn

With all this talk about Mojito's, it has gotten me curious enough to try to make some. I am embarressed to say that I have not even tried one. I did a google search, but I am looking for some personal experiences for example what Rum to use, what mint, etc...

I was just googling this myself. I would be interested in hearing everyone's personal recipes.

I have now used Bacardi, Bacardi Light, and Belizean 1 Barrel in my attempts.
Also, I made my own simple syrup, as I could not find real sugar cane juice.
As for mint, I have a small mint plant that I bought at the supermarket, and I use about 12 of the mid sized leaves.
Muddle the mint in about an ounce of the simple solution and the squuzed juice of 1/8 of a lime in a tall class. Add 2-3 shots of rum. Stir, add a small dash of bitters, add ice, and soda water. Put another 1/2 ounce of simple solution on the top of the cocktail, garnish with sprig of mint, slice of lime and cane sugar swizzle (if available). Experiment until palatable.

I think I got that about right. I may have forgotten one or more crucial steps.

3-5 limes. Cut them all up and put into a tal glass. MAsh up all the limes in cup .

Add 3-4 shots of YPICOA RUM or Montecristo White Rum.
1 shot of sugar cane syrup
top off mixture with soda (sprite, 7up or squirt for a little different taste)

Mix this all up.

Add 3/4 full of ice into a nice Mojito glass (larger tumbler)

Add mixed up cocktail to glass. shake it to let limes settle to bottom.

Top off with mint leaves.

If you go to the Havana Club site they give you the authentic Cuban recipe ... Mojitos are so good after dinner at the Bar in Varadero, with any Cuban cigar in your other hand... oh the memories from March!

The mint isn't so important, since the drink isn't really about being real minty like a mint julep is (the Cubans use a variety of mint called "yuerba buena" which itself isn't really all that strong in mint oils). I just use either grocery-bought mint or the Kentucky Julep I grow in my window sill.

As far as rums, Cruzan 2YO or Mount Gay white are both very good economical options. I've used everything from Cuban Ron Veradero 3YO to Bacardi, and I honestly can't taste that much of a difference, no matter how strong or weak I make it. Only one that really stood out was one made with Havana Club 3YO, but the others just didn't taste that much different, so I usually go with a cheaper rum and save my money for buying Habanos to smoke with my mojitos! :D

This is P.F. Changs "Asian Pear Mojito" recipe. I make it for my wife all the time and she loves it.

1 Tblspn Superfine Sugar
3 Lime Sections
5 Leaves of Mint
1 oz. Sour Apple Pucker
1.5 oz. Bicardi Limon Rum
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
Club Soda
Ice

Muddle (mash) the lime, sugar and mint leaves together. Add the Sour Apple Pucker, Limon Rum, & Pineapple Juice and shake with ice. Pour into a tall glass (highball or collins) top off with the club soda. Enjoy.

I introduced a friend of mine to the Mojito a while back. He travels the world with some folks as their general travel manager. During one of his round the world jaunts, would text me with his cigar & mojito reviews, i.e. "havin' a Cohiba and mojo in Venice....in Dubai...in Singapore....you get the picture. His goal was to find the perfect Mojito. From spending hours talking to bartenders, etc. regarding their recipes, ingredients and comments, he came up with this recipe:

The GFM Mohito:

In a drink tumbler:

crushed ice (just enough to cover the bottom)
1/2 lime, (sliced into quarters)
a handful of mint (12-15 leafs)
1 teaspoon of raw cane sugar

Muttle until the above turns to mush

rinse the pestle in the tumbler with a splash of soda.

strain the above into a tall glass of ice.

add

2 jiggers of White Bicardi Rum
1 jigger of Hyram Walker Triple Sec
Top with Sweet and Sour Mix....
stir and voila.....

It's very tasty and has a great kick :p ....

I have also made this recipe without straining it, just pouring the alcohol into the tumbler and pouring the whole thing over ice....
we call it the the Dirty GFM.....

I have used barcardi Limon it also makes a very good mojito. a little diffrent than the regular ones but good.

In my experience with Mojito's i have found that the best mojito contains the following

5-7 small to medium leaved finely ground in with a mortar and pestle aka (Molcajete)
1 tablespoonful of Confectioner sugar
aprox. 1 shot (roses lime juice) " generic was too sweet "
2 shots Bacardi Rum ** as stated above the quality and types of run arent really aparent **
½ shot of Dole Pineapple Juice
7Up , Sprite

Fill Tall Glass with ¼ to ½ full of crushed or pellet ice * helps to hold mint in middle of glass *
Grind Mint and Sugar into paste and use lemon juice to get remainder of mixture from the sides
place the mixture on top of the ice already in the cup and add the 2 shots of rum and cover with ice leaving about ½ inch from the brim to allow stirring room. add the pineapple juice and top off with 7Up Garnish with wedge of lime and sprig of mint

In my experimentation with this recipe another Very tasty and a touch strong Mojito replaced the rum with Tequila Padron is what i used, but i am sure the case would hold true that quality shouldn't matter too much unless you are using rock gut alcohol

Enjoy Fellas!

This is the way i do it and everyone i have ever given it to swears its the best cocktail they have ever had (apart from the time i f**kd it right up).

In tall glass place 5 mint leaves, 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar (i prefer cane but my mate likes brown - your choice) and 1-2 shots of rum. Grab a wooden spoon and mash the living cack out the the mixture with the handle - you should end up with a sweet smelling green mush at the bottom of the glass.

Squeeze half a lime into the mixture and give it a quick mix up.
Pop a bunch of ice cubes into the glass and pour soda water over the top.

Enjoy - oh and i suggest you use a straw unless you want minty bits getting caught in your teeth.

I just made and drank one.....Very easy and takes about two minutes after simple syrup. First, to make simple syrup, 1 cup of water, boil it and then add 1 cup of sugar. When it dissolves, let it cool. You'll have plenty of it left over so put it in a cup and save it in the fridge. Once you are done with that you are now ready for a mojito - 3/4 of 1 lime cut in several sections. Then take about 10 mint leaves, 1 shot of simple syrup and the lime wedges. In a tall glass, mush the mixture up, most easily done with a muddler, but a wooden spoon works also. Then add 2 shots of Bacardi 4 shots of lime flavored seltzer water (the cheap stuff works), add some ice and a cocktail straw.

I second this one, I have tried a pile of recipes and this one is by far my favorite, Mojito

You need to adjust the lime juice a tad for taste due to the sizes of the limes, but I think the fresh ingedients are the key, limes and mint. I have a large pot on the patio with mint growing to keep me supplied, and I like the powdered sugar route. We are addicted here.

For Rum I just grab the knock off Havana Club from the local liquer store, Tall frosted bottle and about $20. It is not the authentic HC but it is available and a great one for mixing, very subtle flavor. They WILL sneak up on you though, you really taste no alcohol. :D Excellent summer time drink.

I've heard that 10 Cane rum is very good with Mojitos. I haven't tried it yet. I've used white Bacardi and also Black Seal. Both are good, the Black Seal is obviously a dark, rich rum and changes the flavor away from a typical Mojito.

My recipe:

1 lime cut into 8 chunks
5-8 medium mint leaves
2 tsp Turbinado style sugar (you want big crystals to help grind up the limes/Mint)
3 oz White Rum
Ice cubes
Club soda to cover

In a heavy shaker add limes, sugar and mint. Mash up with a heavy muddler until sugar is dissolved and limes are mashed. Add a handful of ice cubes,and rum. Shake for 15 secs until very cold. Strain into a lowball glass with ice, top with club soda.

Adjust sugar and rum amounts to taste. A Mojito is not supposed to be a highly sweet drink, go easy on the sugar.

My recipe is much the same as Langod's . . . I use a bit less lime, generally, and will settle for evaporated cane juice sugar if Turbinado's not to hand.

I do like to muddle separately, one ingredient at a time---bruise the mint in the bottom of the glass, then add a tablespoon of cane sugar and muddle it with the mint, THEN squeeze in about half a lime and mix until the sugar dissolves . . . and so forth.

They go down so smoothly, it's good to slow the prep time down! :laugh:

I like Flor de Cana Gold as an alternative to white rums; it's still light but much more flavorful and a fantastic bargain to boot for such good rum. 1.75 liter runs about $22.

For a complete change of pace, Ron Matusalem Espiritu de Cuba, a rich, fruity anejo rum, makes a GREAT drink that technically may or may not still be a Mojito . . . but you won't care. It's really, really good.

~Boar

If you want to do it like casa fuente does it, hit the mojito with a bit of 7up or sprite as well as the seltzer.