• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold at the local B&M....

Flea7

When to a B&M today that a friend referred me to. I was looking through the selection and thought about getting a Zino scepter chubby tubo. I opened to inspect the stick and what did I see?.....Mold. ......Mold ..white and hairier than my dog's ass. I inspected 3 tubos and all 3 had mold.

At the time a CAO rep was there and when I pointed it out he said that it was plume and that's what I wanted! The shop owner agreed! Again, the mold was hairier that my dog's ass!!!...the stick was totally covered! This was a CAO REP telling me it was plume! I would expect better from a rep from a large manufacturer. I didn't want to make a big deal of it so I just let it go.

Not too surprising when the rh is a little high and the stick is in a A/T ...no big deal to me but don't tell me it's plume!

Why is it that many owners of B&M's either don't know what mold is or just plain lie to you and say it's plume?

My first and last trip there.

whenever you're at the b&m it's plume, wether it's mold or plume, didn't they tell ya?

yeah lots of shady gouging b&m's, luckily there's enough b&m's that there's a few honest gouging b&m's around.

I've seen a fair number of moldy tubos in the local B&M. Aroma de Cuba, AVO's, you name it.

Right. It's never mold...always plume.

Wilkey

I have yet to figure out why so darn many B&M's think they are doing you a favor by storing the smokes just a touch away from soaking wet. You'd think they'd know better....guess not.

If you point it out and they say "......damn! Thanks for bringing that to our attention..." it's one thing; if they say "plume" I think you have your answer right there. I wouldn't go back.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

If you point it out and they say "......damn! Thanks for bringing that to our attention..." it's one thing; if they say "plume"
- B.B.S.

That is exactly what I mean. I would have had more respect for them if they took that route. It was surprising to me that a CAO rep there said it was plume :laugh:

Funny,
I was at a B & M the other day they have recently changed hands and the selection has been the same for the past weeks.
I went into the humi to check the new stock and it felt like summer in Mobile Alabama in there.
I was parusing the sticks and saw some Camchos that looked like they needed a comb!

I ran as fast as I could

Might I recommend the same approach I used when I encountered a similar situation in a "smoke shop" in Panama City, FL. I entered their little walk-in and immediately noticed that the rh was WAY too high. Several cigars had very noticeable mold on them, especially the ones on the top shelf (closest to the Herrmidifier). Now this was obviously a place geared towards tourists, and not a bona fide smoke shop, but I thought I'd do the guy behind the counter a favor and let him know what I found. He fed me the same line: "Oh, that's plume. That means the cigar has been aged well." So I asked him "What exactly is plume then?" He was obviously caught off-guard, and after about 5-6 seconds of wide-eyed blinking, his response was "When a cigar leaf gets old, it turns white. Kinda like hair." Poor guy, he probably only made 6 bucks an hour and his only qualification for the job was the ability to run a cash register. I almost felt sorry for him.

I suggested he go and Google "plume" and try again. Needless to say, I left without buying anything.

Does anyone have any good pictures showing Plume? I've seen some good close-up pictures of mold on cigars, but google image searches did not yield any decent plume pics to compare.

Thanks in advance!

www.vitolas.net has a nice picture of plume here.

Edited to add: there are also some horrible pictures of mold and beetle-ravaged cigars that make me cringe every time I see them.

Buy the smoke and tell him if he smokes it you'll buy a few.

Unfortunately there's a B&M RIGHT around the corner from my house....only problem is that mold covers about 90% of their stock! I litterally sweat just from walking into their humidor. Only cigars that are almost always mold free are their Ashtons....go figure. :angry:

www.vitolas.net has a nice picture of plume here.

Edited to add: there are also some horrible pictures of mold and beetle-ravaged cigars that make me cringe every time I see them.

Thanks for the link. I have actually looked at the beetle pics on that site before.

So plume/bloom usually shows up as small little specs, as opposed to the way mold spreads out (and gets fuzzy) ?

I believe that under magnification, plume is crystalline in nature.

Doc.

Is this plum or mold?? :rolleyes:

P5280151.jpg

P5280149.jpg

I have seen lots of mold. Mostly in tubes, and under cedar wrapped cigars.

:(

Yes. The only moldy cigars at my B&M are the Avo tubos. It seems like about 80% of them have some mold (brush it off and smoke away), while maybe 10% have a lot of mold (dumpster time). :(

Edited to emphasize quote.

Is this plum or mold?? :rolleyes:

Looks like mold to me. White patches look to big.

Based solely on the pics, I have to agree. Looks like mold to me. Check the feet of the sticks closely as well.

Some guys say "...brush 'em off and smoke 'em..." but I can't do it. I've tried it a couple of time (with very prized smokes.... :( ) and I just can't do it. Tastes like smoking someone's old gym socks to me.....eech.

Good luck - B.B.S.