• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold or Plume?

Zach

Addicted to race cars
Hey every1,
I found a great deal on a sealed 10ct box of VSG Robusto ($78) and took her home. However, upon opening her up, there is something on the sticks. I dont know if its mold or plume, so hopefully somebody can share their insight with me! Pictures to follow.

-Zach

Nice price. Looking forward to the pictures....hope it works out for you.

Pictures:

smalldsc019701fc.jpg

smalldsc019722bc.jpg

Definately mold...
Sorry!
These sticks are notorious for moldiness.
-Rob

Looks like mold to me. Not the green kind, but mold anyway. Of course I'm a newb, so take it for what's it worth.

This is assuming that the words "plume" and "bloom" are being used interchangeably. I know some people say that plume and bloom are two different things and some people say they are the same thing. Plume or bloom would be more like little crystals that look like salt or sugar, not hairy little colonies.

I had some of this same looking substance on a couple of tubos and was told it was a kind of mold. It just wiped right off and they smoked fine.

Hope this helps. Sorry to see it on your smokes.

mold it is. i ventured into a local shop last week and saw the same thing on the same cigars, could this be coming from the factory like that?

Moki, you wouldn't try getting them replaced? isn't there a possibility (albeit not too great with what seems to be not that much mold) that the flavor would be affected? I would love to hear that I am over-cautios when it comes to mold.

ARE vsg's NOTORIOUS FOR THIS?

I stopped into a tobacco shop at a rest stop oasis here in IL while on my way to Great America..

Called The tobacco Room. I think GGiESE mentioned this place to me befor.

Well they had 2 boxes of Ashton VSG's and both boxes looked exactly like the pictures you just showed.

I was trying to figure out if was severe mold or plume

wipe it off and smoke it

I agree. I have done the same in the past and have not noticed any difference in the taste.....of course ymmv. It dosnt look like it is too bad a case of mold at any rate, so I doubt that it has gotten very deep into the stick itself....

my $0.02

wipe it off and smoke it
Agree. From what I've read, Holt's had these lying around for a while in their humidor at a high RH. I picked up two boxes a month ago. I gently wiped them all down and put them back in the humi. Also, based on feedback from others that purchased these boxes, replacing them would only get you a different box of sticks with mold.
These should be fine after giving them a good cleaning :)

1. It's mold.
2. Yes, I have seen an inordinately high proportion of VSGs with mold issues.
3. Take the smokes out of the box, wipe the box with a dry rag and leave out in the sun for about an hour. Wipe off the smokes with a soft rag...smoke one if you like. Put the cigars back into the box.
4. Keep them segregated from your other cigars. You can put the whole box or just the sticks in ziploc bags in your humi or cooler.
5. Smoke 'em.

Wilkey

I don't think you should smoke these cigars might be bad for you. :0 Send them to me I will smoke them for you. :D Addy in profile. :sign:

I don't think you should smoke these cigars might be bad for you. :0 Send them to me I will smoke them for you. :D Addy in profile. :sign:

Agree! Send them to theHatguy!

(dude..my addy's in my profile...shhhh!)

Seriously - wipe and smoke...and enjoy!

Wiping them off as we speak. Its a shame these sticks are so vulnerable to molding, cuz they are great smokes!

Ginseng-should i keep them in a plastic bag for their lifetime, or just a small period to prevent the mold from spreading?

-Zach

Zach,

I've had cigars bagged for over six months without incident. In fact, I have a ziploc exclusively for moldy cigars. Ziploc bags do allow moisture vapor and oxygen transmission (albeit at a slow rate) but prevent spores from getting out. So far I have not have any issues with these sticks getting dried out or too wet. Over time, they simply come to equilibrium with the rest of the humi. IMO, they;ll be fine indefinitely. In fact, I know for a fact that some very serious collectors use ziploc bags on all the cigars they keep including ones that are decades old.

Personally, I am too paranoid to mix once-moldy sticks in with the general population.

Wilkey

Wiping them off as we speak. Its a shame these sticks are so vulnerable to molding, cuz they are great smokes!

-Zach

I just had one of these a few nights ago - and I just checked the ones I have left. Nothing like yours - but they do have a slight white-ish tint to them.
Seemed fine and smoked fine to me.

Ron