• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mom was robbed

the locks i'm going to have changed, and i'm thinking i'll get her a credit protection service for an early Xmas gift.

Souldog you left one piece out.
Just go shoot the guy in the face!
Then if none of this works... the old-fashioned kneecap thing works wonders. ;)
Jon you're a big guy, pay him a visit and lean on him!

Nothing like a personal visit to make things right ;)
You can call me up for backup. :thumbs:.

David

You're all heathens and should go home and pray to the Lord for your violent fantasies!! :laugh:

Although, I must say, as an upholder of the law, I would NEVER condone such things... :whistling:

(Sweetrice, we're leaving tomorrow to go break this guy's legs!) :sign:

David

You're all heathens and should go home and pray to the Lord for your violent fantasies!! :laugh:

Although, I must say, as an upholder of the law, I would NEVER condone such things... :whistling:

So this is how you cops handle things in Cali.... :laugh:

David

LOL

Yup.

And a six-cell maglite to help him, aaah, "see the light." :whistling:

Take care of your mom . . . and then take care of business.

~Boar

I'd also recommend changing all your moms locks out, as he could have made a copy of the keys.
Yes, do this. You'd be surprised how many people copy your keys. This has happened to me, and since I never let anyone hold onto any of my keys for any reason. If you don't want to completely replace the locks, just have a locksmith come out and reykey the lock. Should be under $100.

Agree with what others have said about putting a fraud alert on her credit. Make sure she checks any credit card bills for unusual charges, etc! Bummers to hear that. :angry:

If you let someone live in your house they in fact are a resident. That gives them access to anything in the house. I work cases like this all the time. A lawsuit is the proper remedy in this matter.

You can call me up for backup. :thumbs: .

David

My thoughts exactly!!! Geez - I figured the perp would be invited to a wine tasting and lulled into a sense of nirvana, after which they would dress him up in ladies clothing and later dropped off at a gay bar. That's my experience with Cali justice (dadgummed liberals)... :D

I say look for a construction site whose concrete needs some filler... ;) :whistling:

If you let someone live in your house they in fact are a resident. That gives them access to anything in the house. I work cases like this all the time. A lawsuit is the proper remedy in this matter.

I worked these cases too - and we charged them with theft (typically felony if the dollar amount exceeded $300).

The situation is similar to a cleaning lady cleaning out more than she was supposed to. Happened all the time, unfortunately.

I would say the level of service depends on jurisdiction and prosecutor. Some prosecutors were willing to prosecute the tougher cases - others were not. No doubt this case is not the one a prosecutor will build his career on - but it is very unsettling that a senior citizen was victimized.

I gotta tell you - too bad you were not living in the area I was working. The judges would make mince-meat out of that POS...

Edited to add: Also - on occasion (depending on circumstance) we would charge the POS with Burglary. I know it flies in the face of normal convention - however, the charge does say "knowingly entered a premises with the intent to commit a theft or other felony". Even though he's "invited", if his intent was to steal he could be charged with Burglary. Most times the case would be dropped, but it was used as a means of ensuring the plea bargain ended up with the Felony conviction for theft (most bad guys didn't want "burglary" on their record - they were just satisfied to eat a felony theft conviction).

Edited to add even more:

You know - I'm doing a slow burn over what I'm seeing is the "norm" in other jurisdictions. This is absolute, positive BS. For some police officer to "assume" the POS has full use of a facility as a "house guest" (including helping himself to the linens and cash) is absolute nonsense. I can't even begin to imagine he could use a defense, "well - she said I could help myself to whatever I wanted to..." as a reason to enter a locked cabinet and take cash - let alone walking out with $50 worth of linens and soap.

Following this logic - it's okay to enter a store (after all, most times I'm considered a "guest") and help myself to the merchandise? I'm "invited" and oftentimes ENCOURAGED to be in the store, after all...

...or you mean to tell me it's perfectly okay if I go to a friends house and help myself to their pricey goodies when I attend a screening of a football game? Okay - so I wouldn't be invited back - but is that now my defense if I was criminally charged - "...the guy invited me over - what did he expect"?

Read the laws, brothers in blue - it's pretty doggone clear. Too bad it means you have to "build" a case because he didn't get into her house by "breaking in". Sometimes the fairway is not as straight and wide as you'd like it to be, but the game must be played the way it was intended! :thumbs:

Hey Ken - please take note:

Theft of towels and cash:
  1. One is guilty of theft of property “if, with intent to deprive the owner of property, the person knowingly obtains or exercises control over the property without the owner’s effective consent .” T.C.A. § 39-14-103.
  2. UnderTennessee law, a person commits burglary who, without the effective consent of the property owner: Enters a building and commits or attempts to commit a felony, theft or assault; T.C.A. § 39-14-402
Use of the computer to sign up for unauthorized services in the woman's name:
  1. Tennessee law prohibits the use of computers and/or telecommunications equipment for the purposes of: Obtaining money, property, or services for oneself or another by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations T.C.A. § 39-14-602(a).
Hope this helps! :thumbs:

You know - I'm doing a slow burn over what I'm seeing is the "norm" in other jurisdictions. This is absolute, positive BS. For some police officer to "assume" the POS has full use of a facility as a "house guest" (including helping himself to the linens and cash) is absolute nonsense. I can't even begin to imagine he could use a defense, "well - she said I could help myself to whatever I wanted to..." as a reason to enter a locked cabinet and take cash - let alone walking out with $50 worth of linens and soap.

Following this logic - it's okay to enter a store (after all, most times I'm considered a "guest") and help myself to the merchandise? I'm "invited" and oftentimes ENCOURAGED to be in the store, after all...

...or you mean to tell me it's perfectly okay if I go to a friends house and help myself to their pricey goodies when I attend a screening of a football game? Okay - so I wouldn't be invited back - but is that now my defense if I was criminally charged - "...the guy invited me over - what did he expect"?

Read the laws, brothers in blue - it's pretty doggone clear. Too bad it means you have to "build" a case because he didn't get into her house by "breaking in". Sometimes the fairway is not as straight and wide as you'd like it to be, but the game must be played the way it was intended! :thumbs:

And this whole piece right here is why George is a badass. You're right, it is a bitch to build a case on. Quite honestly George, in line with commenting on the stance of law enforcement regarding these matters, I'd be laughed at by my W/C if he saw this report on his desk and I stretched this into a burglary/elder abuse.

IF it did pass, I'd be hard-pressed to find a DA who would take the case on, but I suppose you're right that the POS would just plead out to being an asshole and get probation. At least it's a start then... Good input, imo.

Hey Ken - please take note:

Theft of towels and cash:
  1. One is guilty of theft of property “if, with intent to deprive the owner of property, the person knowingly obtains or exercises control over the property without the owner’s effective consent .” T.C.A. § 39-14-103.
  2. UnderTennessee law, a person commits burglary who, without the effective consent of the property owner: Enters a building and commits or attempts to commit a felony, theft or assault; T.C.A. § 39-14-402
Use of the computer to sign up for unauthorized services in the woman's name:
  1. Tennessee law prohibits the use of computers and/or telecommunications equipment for the purposes of: Obtaining money, property, or services for oneself or another by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations T.C.A. § 39-14-602(a).
Hope this helps! :thumbs:

DA's in the state of Tennessee will not charge anyone that lives in a residence that removes property or uses the services that house might contain. That includes cars, computers, firearms, food, ect. They view it as if you live in a residence and are given acess to it you can use the the property as your own. If you allow them to live there they have access to whatever. The burglary and theft statute does not apply in this case. I'd push the computer issue but it probably would not fly. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

This is awful. What a terrible way to return from the hospital. I wish you the best in coming to some kind of resolution, whatever form that may be.

And this whole piece right here is why George is a badass. You're right, it is a bitch to build a case on. Quite honestly George, in line with commenting on the stance of law enforcement regarding these matters, I'd be laughed at by my W/C if he saw this report on his desk and I stretched this into a burglary/elder abuse.

IF it did pass, I'd be hard-pressed to find a DA who would take the case on, but I suppose you're right that the POS would just plead out to being an asshole and get probation. At least it's a start then... Good input, imo.

Some time I gotta tell you about our "Nipple Talk" case - really pushed the envelope in charging, but sure ended up exactly as my partner and I suspected it would. With all of the chumps plea bargaining felony probation. We took a lot of crap from the troops, but also won the respect of prosecutors in the way we put the case together.

I didn't give a crap what the troops thought - I just did my job, and only worried about what a judge or jury would say...

DA's in the state of Tennessee will not charge anyone that lives in a residence that removes property or uses the services that house might contain. That includes cars, computers, firearms, food, ect. They view it as if you live in a residence and are given acess to it you can use the the property as your own. If you allow them to live there they have access to whatever. The burglary and theft statute does not apply in this case. I'd push the computer issue but it probably would not fly. Hope this helps. :thumbs:

Man - and I thought Illinois was far more liberal than Tennessee!!! We had no problems charging these cases, even if the guy was a family member!

In Cook County (the next count south of us, where Chicago is located) it was always extremely difficult to get that kind of charging based upon the f-d up thinking your DA's have. But - I usually just had to do some "creative" writing, and a bit of wink/nod/butt patting with the State's Attorney to get the charges. Once I knew where the buttons were, I made sure to press them! :whistling:

In this case, the guy only lived temporarily in the residence. He was not a permanent resident - just there to keep an eye on the house and feed the cats. He had no more right to the woman's things than a stranger that broke into her house.

Hang the mofo!!! ;)

Well, i feel better having gone down their. I got her locks changed, am looing into the credit/fraud protection and my mom is getting a second opinion for the cops about the finger printing and is having a cop look at the stuff the guy down-loaded to see if it violates any of the kiddie rules. Sick bastard ordered an adult movie on her comcast box. He actually called my mom on friday to tell her that he doesn't want any of the stuff he left behind and to have a good one, but she said that she needs to see him and hopefully that will happen today. It is something that she needs to deal with and i really think she is going about it the best way possible, but damn, i'd love to meet this guy and have a word or two with him. From what i hear, he is just a waste of life. I really appreciate everyone's time and take on this. It certainly helped me in giving my mom some ideas and input to help her oput in this situation. However upset that she was about this, she still managed to cook a kick-ass Thanks-giving meal and sent me home with leftovers. True motherly form- make sure the son is fed and then worry about everything else.