• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Moral dilemma...your thoughts

The bigger picture here seems to be two fold. We now live in the hyper sensitive world of being politically correct....AND we now have the World Wide Web. Add those two together and what is being discussed here is happening to a good many of us too frequently.

If this lady's diagnosis of being bi-polar has not been confirmed by the medical community at large, this is a classic case of misuse of the WWW. If you're over 40 and forget something a few times, 'you have early onset Alzheimers." Do you have a child with a lot of energy?... 'Your child has ADD'. If you are basically a nice, level headed person but blowup when an issue pops up, 'You're like two different people, you're bi-polar'. If you're sad two days in a row because Life has you down temporarily?, 'You're depressed and are suffering from depression'.

Welcome to the new age doctor self trained on the WWW! We all know one or two of them out there, those people so willing to thrust forth their opinion on all things medical although they have no medical background or training. 'WebMD Gone Wild' as I call it. A classic case of a little information, misused and misdirected, to level a diagnosis on a person they know little about. These people drive me nuts. Go to Med School already!

Number two is the continually evolving world of being 'politically correct'. So this lady gets into a conversation with a group of people and says something off color...and no one says anything, but behind the scenes is the comment, "cut her some slack, she's bi-polar". My first question would always be, "IS she really bi-polar? Did her husband/friend/family member confirm she's bi-polar?" The answer is usually 'someone mentioned she could be'....yeah, it must have been the new age doctor self trained on the WWW! I have a good friend who's wife is bi-polar and we ALL know she's bi-polar and should something happen at a party or other gathering as was described here, we know something is off with her meds because it was explained to all of us who care about her in advance...it's not an excuse, just the facts. We are her safety net because we were educated on the signs to look for and how they manifest themselves in large gatherings.

Now-a-days, should someone speak harshly about another person or group of people....the PC way of handling is to say, "she must be (and or have) blah blah blah". There's an excuse out there for everything. Back in the day, we'd just call that woman who makes these cutting remarks in public an "asshole". Another PC way of not holding her responsible for her comments is to say, 'she has no filter' or 'she's under a lot of stress lately', or even the old standby, 'if you lived her Life, you'd be the same way'....or MAYBE she's just an 'asshole'. Granted, there is probably some deep rooted issue buried deep down inside of her that makes her say these sort of comments in public, but UNTIL I hear a confirmed medical diagnosis from one of this person's family or close friends, this person is and always will be, just an 'asshole'.

Happy Easter & Passover everyone.

I don't know. I detest the pussy footing world that we live in due to the hyper vigilance of being politically correct. I'm much rather call a spade a spade. Obviously there are some down sides to that but that's where I stand.

Good one, ironpeddler.  A lot of paragraph 2 also makes me a bit pissed off as too much of psychiatry, psychology, and big pharm have become obsessive in the quest to get insurance money. They label folks just so they can build a patient base and get payment. I went after one years ago.

He labelled a woman I was involved with bipolar. She told him I was to be present at her sessions. First visit, 1/2 hour later, he labels her Bipolar. (easiest diagnoses to get paid on, hence the incredible number of folks diagnosed) I told him she displays none of the symptoms of bipolar disorder. (she was really VERY evenly keeled, and one of the nicest people I have ever known. I also aced psychology) He said to me " I have to put something down for the insurance". When I told him that was despicable, and that I was going to find out if it was malpractice, he caved, and agreed it was most likely a temporary depression. (she was dealing with the loss of a child.). She was pretty much back to normal after about 3 weeks. I think he was trying to force a long term patient, i.e., years versus a few weeks or months.

Sometimes human nature is just despicable. No amount of modern pharma is going to make a nasty person "normal" (whatever normal is) If that woman did something like that i my presence, there is a damn good chance that I would ask her if she fell out of the wrong side of the bed that morning.

Real easy to judge, unless you've walked in that person's shoes. Ultimately, the high road is never easy. Loving and being compassionate to someone who's behavior is less than desirable isn't easy, but it's the route i've found i'd much rather take.

Because of some of the questions here, (I realize I didn't give great information initially, just trying to be gerenic) I will say I know she has a personality disorder, goes to a shrink and has been prescribed meds that as I said before, she refuses to take because she wants to experience the highs and lows of life.  While on her meds, everything is a straight line.  Personally, I have decided for me that staying away from her is my best remedy.  I was the target of a couple of her attacks and didn't respond in kind because I was trying to diffuse the situation.  But after two or three of them, I have decided all I have done is allow her to think she can continue her behavior without fear of consequences.  The lady that did call her out has been a friend of hers for many years and just got fed up of the verbal abuse. 

I have as I said moved away from it in an effort to not damage my wifes relationship with her, but I have decided if ever she targets me again, I will tee off on her.  I think that if she knows she has a problem and refuses to do the things required to minimize the problem, then she needs to know she is pissing people off.

broblues said:
A woman I know (I believe her to be bipolar, but not sure), consistantly makes cutting remarks to "friends" publicly.  A person gets upset with her and calls her out privately, creating quite a stir.  Is the originating person, because of her suspected condition, to receive a "free pass" on her remarks, or is she fair game? 

Please feel free to PM me as my educational background is in psychology and sociology and I work(ed) with cutters and bi-polar folks and run a volunteer organization related to teen bullying suicides after the tragedy of Amanda Todd's suicide where cutting was deeply involved. I did not read this entire thread but I cannot strongly state this enough, cutting is no joke said in any manner. One minor thing to "us" to a cutter is the one time the blade goes too deep and you find a body. I'm new at CP but not to the world and rarely will you see a post from me that takes the tone that this one does. Please sir, be an advocate for that person and get her help, now. I have nationwide resources available to me to provide to you should you ask. Help is there, it always is, bipolar people are wired different and cannot always see what is right is wrong and wrong is right. I'm here, and willing to help.

FGS

Father Guido Sarducci said:
A woman I know (I believe her to be bipolar, but not sure), consistantly makes cutting remarks to "friends" publicly.  A person gets upset with her and calls her out privately, creating quite a stir.  Is the originating person, because of her suspected condition, to receive a "free pass" on her remarks, or is she fair game? 

Please feel free to PM me as my educational background is in psychology and sociology and I work(ed) with cutters and bi-polar folks and run a volunteer organization related to teen bullying suicides after the tragedy of Amanda Todd's suicide where cutting was deeply involved. I did not read this entire thread but I cannot strongly state this enough, cutting is no joke said in any manner. One minor thing to "us" to a cutter is the one time the blade goes too deep and you find a body. I'm new at CP but not to the world and rarely will you see a post from me that takes the tone that this one does. Please sir, be an advocate for that person and get her help, now. I have nationwide resources available to me to provide to you should you ask. Help is there, it always is, bipolar people are wired different and cannot always see what is right is wrong and wrong is right. I'm here, and willing to help.

FGS
Cutting remarks...........not cutting as with a sharp instrument.

Thanks, though.

broblues said:
Because of some of the questions here, (I realize I didn't give great information initially, just trying to be gerenic) I will say I know she has a personality disorder, goes to a shrink and has been prescribed meds that as I said before, she refuses to take because she wants to experience the highs and lows of life.  While on her meds, everything is a straight line.  Personally, I have decided for me that staying away from her is my best remedy.  I was the target of a couple of her attacks and didn't respond in kind because I was trying to diffuse the situation.  But after two or three of them, I have decided all I have done is allow her to think she can continue her behavior without fear of consequences.  The lady that did call her out has been a friend of hers for many years and just got fed up of the verbal abuse. 

I have as I said moved away from it in an effort to not damage my wifes relationship with her, but I have decided if ever she targets me again, I will tee off on her.  I think that if she knows she has a problem and refuses to do the things required to minimize the problem, then she needs to know she is pissing people off.

If she states she wants to experience the highs and lows of life and is on the straight and narrow she is a classic case of type 1 bi-polar and the most at risk. When she is off her meds her brain does not register that there are ANY consequences for ANY behavior. I strongly discourage you to not "tee off on her" sir. Bi-polar patients when they are off their meds are literally operating at a level that does not exist except in their own minds. Think of it in the sense of an out of body experience, but she is living that 24/7 and when she is in that state her brain chemistry does not flow "normally" therefore it perceives the behavioral state its in as the status quo and everything that is not in alignment with it as a problem. I humbly offer the advice for your peace of mind and the situations to simply state that her words and actions are not acceptable to you and that you will no longer associate with her unless it ceases. I know its very very hard, trust me I know, read between the lines, but often times bi-polar patients get the hint by simply isolating yourself from them for a period of time. It also sounds like she may have the disinhibited form of reactive attachment disorder.

broblues said:

FGS
Cutting remarks...........not cutting as with a sharp instrument.

Thanks, though.

My sincerest apology sir. Admittedly, when I read in forums or though my organizations YouTube campaign and I see "cutting" I jump the gun as I've seen first hand its destruction. Again sir, my apologies for not reading your entire thread as I meant no disrespect to you. *extending a hand shake to you*

MadMonk said:
A nice ass makes up for a lot of faults.

Doc
Damn it Doc, if that hasn't caused most of mans woes.

Ever watch the TV show "2 Broke Girls" on CBS? Garret Morris of 70s SNL fame is on it and he usually only has a line or three per episode but the ass quote above made me LOL as I remember him on a recent episode.

He states, "Credit cards are going to be the downfall of America. That and Kim Kardashian. Don't get me wrong I love a big ass too but don't go giving it its own franchise."

ironpeddler said:
The bigger picture here seems to be two fold. We now live in the hyper sensitive world of being politically correct....AND we now have the World Wide Web. Add those two together and what is being discussed here is happening to a good many of us too frequently.

If this lady's diagnosis of being bi-polar has not been confirmed by the medical community at large, this is a classic case of misuse of the WWW. If you're over 40 and forget something a few times, 'you have early onset Alzheimers." Do you have a child with a lot of energy?... 'Your child has ADD'. If you are basically a nice, level headed person but blowup when an issue pops up, 'You're like two different people, you're bi-polar'. If you're sad two days in a row because Life has you down temporarily?, 'You're depressed and are suffering from depression'.

Welcome to the new age doctor self trained on the WWW! We all know one or two of them out there, those people so willing to thrust forth their opinion on all things medical although they have no medical background or training. 'WebMD Gone Wild' as I call it. A classic case of a little information, misused and misdirected, to level a diagnosis on a person they know little about. These people drive me nuts. Go to Med School already!

Number two is the continually evolving world of being 'politically correct'. So this lady gets into a conversation with a group of people and says something off color...and no one says anything, but behind the scenes is the comment, "cut her some slack, she's bi-polar". My first question would always be, "IS she really bi-polar? Did her husband/friend/family member confirm she's bi-polar?" The answer is usually 'someone mentioned she could be'....yeah, it must have been the new age doctor self trained on the WWW! I have a good friend who's wife is bi-polar and we ALL know she's bi-polar and should something happen at a party or other gathering as was described here, we know something is off with her meds because it was explained to all of us who care about her in advance...it's not an excuse, just the facts. We are her safety net because we were educated on the signs to look for and how they manifest themselves in large gatherings.

Now-a-days, should someone speak harshly about another person or group of people....the PC way of handling is to say, "she must be (and or have) blah blah blah". There's an excuse out there for everything. Back in the day, we'd just call that woman who makes these cutting remarks in public an "asshole". Another PC way of not holding her responsible for her comments is to say, 'she has no filter' or 'she's under a lot of stress lately', or even the old standby, 'if you lived her Life, you'd be the same way'....or MAYBE she's just an 'asshole'. Granted, there is probably some deep rooted issue buried deep down inside of her that makes her say these sort of comments in public, but UNTIL I hear a confirmed medical diagnosis from one of this person's family or close friends, this person is and always will be, just an 'asshole'.

Maybe you're just an asshole...like me! :p

(NSFW - language)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_KDAicF0Yo

Is alcoolism in the DSM?

Doc

Alcoholism is in DSM-IV however when the DSM-V is published this year its for lack of a better word "status" has exponentially grown.
It was a joke, that only someone who hasn't been here but a day would get.

Doc

Devil Doc said:

Is alcoolism in the DSM?

Doc

Alcoholism is in DSM-IV however when the DSM-V is published this year its for lack of a better word "status" has exponentially grown.
It was a joke, that only someone who hasn't been here but a day would get.

Doc

Well played sir!

(NSFW - language)

You're viewing him all wrong.

That Gary fellow is more a 'dick' than an asshole.

grateful1 said:

(NSFW - language)

Hahaha. All in good humor and again sorry for jumping the gun guys I just saw that buzz word and it sent me into potential crisis prevention mode. Its my nature. I will gracefully bow out from here. And I'm a recovering alcoholic as well coming up on 7 months sober so I get the DSM comment ;-)

Time for an Undercrown Corona Viva as its naturally they perfect weather here for it, 23 degrees & fair to partly shitty.

grateful1 said:

(NSFW - language)

... a short dick at that.....wait, which Gary are you talking about?

BTW, I agree with the short dick. Let's just call an asshole an asshole. I like keeping things simple.

FWIW, my sister was diagnosed as being bipolar after having a break down at work one day. In discussing the situation with various professionals after the fact, we realized that, for years, we (my immediate family) would cater to her, rather than confront her. Looking back, we always let her "get away" with more than we should just to avoid an incident. I guess this had the effect of reinforcing her behavior.

As I once told a boss right before I quit.

There seems to be a personality problem here.  I have some and you don't.