• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Motorcycle riders?

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Beginner Rider Course is a must. I know in the Midwest they are offered at Community Colleges for around $50.00. You'll get that back in insurance savings the first year alone. Alot of states will also waive the road portion of the exam if you pass this course. The same course is offered at alot of Harley dealerships, but it is around $400.00.

As far as bikes, if you want to get a new bike, Hondas and Yamaha both make smaller cruisers. The Yamaha makes a V-Star 650 that goes for right around $5,000. Be aware on the 650 V-Stars that they could really use another gear and tend to run in the upper RPM band at cruising speed. They are also fairly heavy for a small cc bike weighing in at over 500 pounds wet.

Once you get some experience, you can't beat a Harley (IMHO). I've finally been able to get my bill situation where I'll be able to get one and it should be arriving in June. :D

Arlen

Learned to ride on a friends CB750. A little more than I needed. I earned my license on Kaw GPZ550. Fun little bike around a college town. Traded back up to Kaw GPZ750 for a few years. Sold it later to get my wing!

Eventually I plan to horde together all the aftermarket parts and put together my own Harley. It will already be customized and at least 6 grand less than new. No dealer markup!!! A Harley in every way except location of assembly.

As I mentioned, I'm too chicken $hit to ride a motorcycle as I don't trust myself not to either seriously injure or kill myself :D

I would love to put together an old Harley. I know a guy who completely restored a Norton and this guy doesn't even know how to ride a motorcycle!!

He's into
ukflag.jpg
cars and I buy parts from him for my Jag.

Ya oughta see this bike, it's PERFECT!!

Oh, I forgot, BMW's are GREAT bikes too!!! Of course, I'm partial to them since I have a 1979 BMW 733i sedan, just became an antique this year ;)

Been riding around on a friends Honda 1100 Shadow since I have no truck at present. Bit nipply but it is wheels.
Plan on getting a big touring bike probably down the line. Old people kind. Like a Goldwing - something to haul a trailer if I want. Camp and learn to flyfish.
Did the rice burners did off track drags and later cafe for dough (suckers born every minute). Ain't a kid anymore so bye-bye to them.
Harley is making a comeback and are finally more reliable but Honda will get you down the road with less problems in the long run.
Now you got me going......... :sneaky: varoooooooommmmmm!

BUD

Have been riding bikes for over 25 years. Honda and Suzukis are what I have ownded and I loved everyone of them. That bike is a fine bike to learn on. DEFINATELY take the motorcycle course it is well worth the $50 or $100 (it went up to $100 in my state).

If a 750 is just getting you to 60mph it won't be long before you will want a bigger bike once you feel secure on the 750. Remember the smaller the bike the easier to take the test. However you end up taking the riding test in the motorcycle class which is another plus as their course is larger, there fore easier to make your turns etc., than the ones you find in most states.

As far as Harleys go, yeah they are now becoming more reliable and have a cool image, the Indian is more my fave, but I prefer the japanese bikes. I think they are more reliable and you get the best bang for your buck.

DT

I haven't ridden since a guy ran me off the road in a curve back in highschool. Wife wants it that way. Talking about a concushion. It wasn't my bike either.

Anyways, If I was in for a bike today I would get a chopper where the wheels came around the corner a few hours before I did :D

Sporting my bull horns helmet of course:)

Shuji said:
I've been throwing around the idea of buying a bike, but haven't yet decided what I want to get. It turns out that a buddy of mine is selling a 1978 Honda CB750 (don't know if it's an A, F, or K).

I have the oppurtunity to pick this up at a really smashing price ... anyone have any experience with these? Good bikes for beginners? I've been looking at cruisers, and I just can't pass up this price.
Any bike you don't care about is a good bike for a beginner. You WILL put it down at some point. You'll take a corner too fast with sand in the road, and over you go.

Pursuant to that, always wear jeans, boots, and leathers when you ride. Yeah, it's a pain, but trust me on this one, road rash is about 100x more painful.

Also, I do recommend you take the motorcycle driving course that most DMVs offer -- it's good practical experience, and you'll need to know a good number of things before you'll get your motorcycle rating on your license.

I stayed out of the motorcycle world for 25 long years after my last ride. I bought a yamaha 650 v-star last march. The most fun I have outside of cigars. Personally I would buy a newer bike than the honda you are considering due to parts concerns. Take the rider safety class. enjoy!!!

Here is my .02 worht:

#1) Buy cheap then you aint kickin yourself if ya dump it.

#2) MSF Rider courses are manditory, unless you want to die.

#3) After riding a bit, take the advance course from MSF.

#4) After considerable time, buy a Harley!

Jim